Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal 13:37 - Apr 16 with 1422 viewsWeWereZombies

Would you want to see our team ease up for the sake of the lad's sanity ?

Question stimulated by reading this story on the BBC website just now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68761702

'On top of that, before qualifiers for the 2002 World Cup, Fifa stipulated that only players with an American passport would be allowed to represent the Pacific Island nation. Out of a squad of 20 players, Salapu was the only one who was eligible..."We had to find anyone in two weeks," he explains. "We ended up selecting kids from high school."

With three 15-year-olds in their side and an average age of just 18, 20-year-old Salapu was a relative veteran... the team of novices got off to a bad start in their qualifying campaign, following up a 13-0 loss to Fiji with an 8-0 loss to Samoa. When they lost by a meagre 5-0 to Tonga in their third group game, it must have felt like a relative success...If he were coaching Australia that day, he says he would have told his team to "keep possession until the game is over" when they had scored 20 times.'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 13:47 - Apr 16 with 1347 viewsStu_Magoo

Grind him into dust - we want 30!
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 13:49 - Apr 16 with 1336 viewsWeWereZombies

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 13:47 - Apr 16 by Stu_Magoo

Grind him into dust - we want 30!

Not 31-0 then, you would ease up at thirty ?
[Post edited 16 Apr 15:19]

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 13:55 - Apr 16 with 1315 viewsFBI

Paul Overton, 1978...

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 13:57 - Apr 16 with 1303 viewsHelp

I think if you got to 20 you might have missed the point already
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 14:09 - Apr 16 with 1268 viewsbelgablue

No mercy.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 14:23 - Apr 16 with 1189 viewsiamipswich

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 13:57 - Apr 16 by Help

My thoughts exactly!!

Poll: Who will return first?

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 14:33 - Apr 16 with 1147 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

For a Norwich keeper - No, fill your boots boys and score many more

For any other team's keeper - hold off and show some compassion for the young lad
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 14:45 - Apr 16 with 1113 viewsHighgateBlue

I would instruct all of Town's players to have some basic decency and not score any more. Instead, they should give the ball to Norwich at any opportunity. Specifically to that nice Mr Ullathorne. He can do the rest!
Login to get fewer ads

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 15:22 - Apr 16 with 1029 viewsGeoffSentence

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 14:45 - Apr 16 by HighgateBlue

I would instruct all of Town's players to have some basic decency and not score any more. Instead, they should give the ball to Norwich at any opportunity. Specifically to that nice Mr Ullathorne. He can do the rest!

I've met Rob Ullathorne and he was actually a very decent chap.

Decent enough that I didn't bring up that goal.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 15:27 - Apr 16 with 1016 viewsBlueBadger

We should try for another 10. Teach 'em the error of their ways when they're young.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 15:43 - Apr 16 with 952 viewsZx1988

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 14:33 - Apr 16 by Bad_Boy_Mark

For a Norwich keeper - No, fill your boots boys and score many more

For any other team's keeper - hold off and show some compassion for the young lad

Regardless of the team, definitely have the players hold off. Probably have them hold off once the game is out of sight at 5/6-0 or suchlike.

There's a massive difference between running up the score against senior pros, and running up the score against a young kid (potentially) making their debut.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 16:17 - Apr 16 with 892 viewssolemio

Depends how important the goal difference is at that stage of the season.
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 16:21 - Apr 16 with 882 viewsJ2BLUE

In that situation they should have stopped at 10.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 16:36 - Apr 16 with 871 viewsHighgateBlue

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 15:22 - Apr 16 by GeoffSentence

Oh wow! I wouldn't have been able to help myself, even in a non-gloaty way...

Sounds like he wasn't the most decent person in the room!
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 16:51 - Apr 16 with 841 viewsChurchman

No. Trample him into the dirt. Easing up is the worst insult of all. Besides you have to learn how to lose before you can appreciate and understand how to win. Lastly he could consider it punishment for playing for that lot.

No mercy.
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 17:01 - Apr 16 with 817 viewsketton_itfc

Not a chance!
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 17:18 - Apr 16 with 772 viewsDanTheMan

Probably, even if just because there's no point going all out at that score.

Funnily enough, I was involved in an absolute battering when I played at Uni but I think after the 7th or 8th goal went in I was mentally checked out and looking forward to some beers on the coach on the way home.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 18:18 - Apr 16 with 689 viewswitchdoctor

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 15:22 - Apr 16 by GeoffSentence

indeed ..nice fella…
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 18:25 - Apr 16 with 677 viewsJ2BLUE

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 17:18 - Apr 16 by DanTheMan

Probably, even if just because there's no point going all out at that score.

Funnily enough, I was involved in an absolute battering when I played at Uni but I think after the 7th or 8th goal went in I was mentally checked out and looking forward to some beers on the coach on the way home.

Well if you're 7 or 8 down, you know there's no coming back

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 19:57 - Apr 16 with 570 viewsVanSaParody

Never let up

I'd be bringing Ed Sheeran on & seeing if even he could score
If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 20:12 - Apr 16 with 544 viewsWeWereZombies

If Town were beating Nodge 20-0 and they had a young keeper in goal on 13:57 - Apr 16 by Help

It's been an interesting set of responses, slightly reminiscent of the Radio Four programme 'It's A Fair Cop' when Alfie Moore asks the audience, for instance, if they would use the taser to quieten down a suspected shoplifter and you get someone stand up, usually a middle aged woman, advocating the repeated use on the suspect and anyone else in the vicinity.

I think I would be happy with the Town stopping somewhere between twelve and fifteen (because we do have that memory of the 9-0 to push further back into the mists of time so a 12-0 in a Premier League match would be good.) Also would hope that our team was conciliatory at the end (because they need to feel decent about themselves too and not look back and think they acted like tinpot billy big-bollox ) and that the manager was complimentary about whatever aspect of the opposition they could find to be complimentary about.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024