Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now. Imagining we finish 1st 20:31 - Apr 16 with 2981 viewsFrimleyBlue

Has there ever been a last game of season where winner gets automatic promotion...

Leeds v Southampton could be a cracking game.

Hopefully leeds lose next two and we win at Hull for promotion tho :)

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:46 - Apr 16 with 2843 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Right now there is the potential that any one of Leeds, Leicester, us or even Southampton could be up before the final day. There is also the potential that all 4 could be in contention on the final day. For the neutral that would be a dream scenario.

For the moment it is entirely in our own hands and still will be when we play next. There will be the added advantage/pressure of knowing how the others have done in most of their games by then too.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your headline. I wondered why us winning the league would affect the scenario you describe. You mean, if they are still playing and know what result will achieve promotion, don't you? There have been occasions where teams have finished after others and known what they needed to do. The league coordinates kick offs but cannot coordinate finish times and there is always the potential for stoppages and/or a postponement too.
[Post edited 16 Apr 20:52]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:52 - Apr 16 with 2780 viewsgainsboroughblue

Have to laugh at the ebbs and flows of this. It's been remarkable. A few weeks ago, Leeds were going to be presented with the trophy before the kick off as Saints snugly finished in the 4th place they've occupied since the year dot.

Got a feeling WBA will lose their friend 5th place as well. I don't want the top 6 to feature anyone else as that would likely mean Hull or Cov do us.

I think the 6 will be as it is but the order may surprise some.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:53 - Apr 16 with 2759 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:52 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

Have to laugh at the ebbs and flows of this. It's been remarkable. A few weeks ago, Leeds were going to be presented with the trophy before the kick off as Saints snugly finished in the 4th place they've occupied since the year dot.

Got a feeling WBA will lose their friend 5th place as well. I don't want the top 6 to feature anyone else as that would likely mean Hull or Cov do us.

Leicester were uncatchable in January too. They have gone on quite some run to achieve it!

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:54 - Apr 16 with 2757 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm trying to recall if there has ever been a season where the team at the top of the Championship at the start of the last day fail to make the automatic places?

Can't recall it being as tight as this.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:55 - Apr 16 with 2748 viewsgainsboroughblue

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:53 - Apr 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Leicester were uncatchable in January too. They have gone on quite some run to achieve it!

I remember Preston being in the top 2 or 3 earlier this season. Looks anything but that kind of calibre now!

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:01 - Apr 16 with 2686 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:55 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

I remember Preston being in the top 2 or 3 earlier this season. Looks anything but that kind of calibre now!

Very disappointing today. Left Keane out and obviously lost a defender who was awful while he was on the pitch. Southampton have taken full advantage. I would expect Cardiff to give them more of a game on Saturday, though. If they win that, it will make their match against Leicester massive for both sides especially if Leicester fail to beat West Brom.

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:06 - Apr 16 with 2654 viewsgainsboroughblue

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:54 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

I'm trying to recall if there has ever been a season where the team at the top of the Championship at the start of the last day fail to make the automatic places?

Can't recall it being as tight as this.

97-98 was tight and has one or two similarities to this year.

Forest 94, Boro 91, Sunderland 90. Two of the three places went to the last day.

They were all previously relegated the year before.

Sunderland went on a Saints style run from nowhere to contend 2nd spot (we beat them at Portman Road in the penultimate game to stop them going into the last day in 2nd)

The less fancied team (Charlton) went up in the play-offs.

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:07 - Apr 16 with 2636 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:06 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

Forest 94, Boro 91, Sunderland 90. Two of the three places went to the last day.

Sunderland went on a Saints style run from nowhere to contend 2nd spot (we beat them at Portman Road in the penultimate game to stop them going into the last day in 2nd)

Expect West Brom to win the play offs then?

Login to get fewer ads

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:08 - Apr 16 with 2631 viewsMK1

In that scenario, I am so glad we are at home. Like you say, that Leeds Southampton game would be a cracker.
Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:11 - Apr 16 with 2601 viewsgainsboroughblue

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:07 - Apr 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Expect West Brom to win the play offs then?

Probably!

It would be very Championship-esque. Nobody has mentioned WBA really have they. Just sat in 5th place all year. All the talk has been the top 4 and recently Nodge breaking away from the chasing play-off pack.

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:13 - Apr 16 with 2579 viewsMK1

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:11 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

Probably!

It would be very Championship-esque. Nobody has mentioned WBA really have they. Just sat in 5th place all year. All the talk has been the top 4 and recently Nodge breaking away from the chasing play-off pack.

Most of the talk has been about Leicester, Leeds and Southampton.
If you didn't know the league table, you would think we were in 15th.
Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:33 - Apr 16 with 2467 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:11 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

Probably!

We know all too well the disappointment of just missing out on automatic and then failing in the play offs too. Over the season, 3 of the top 4 definitely deserve promotion. However, nodge will be the form team going into the play offs (or possibly Southampton too). The best team and the form team do not always win them.

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:49 - Apr 16 with 2340 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:53 - Apr 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Ah yes. Perhaps the start of the race for third.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 07:46 - Apr 17 with 1993 viewshoppy

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 20:52 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

Your last line there sounds like clickbait…

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 08:04 - Apr 17 with 1933 viewstractordownsouth

Middlesbrough v Brighton was a promotion shoot out on the last day in 2016

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 08:12 - Apr 17 with 1898 viewsGlasgowBlue

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 08:04 - Apr 17 by tractordownsouth

Middlesbrough v Brighton was a promotion shoot out on the last day in 2016

The worst possible scenario would be both Southampton and Leeds only needing a point each to go up.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 08:16 - Apr 17 with 1864 viewstractordownsouth

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 08:12 - Apr 17 by GlasgowBlue

The worst possible scenario would be both Southampton and Leeds only needing a point each to go up.

I prefer to think of the scenario where we only need a point to go up and Huddersfield need one to stay in the division!

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 11:30 - Apr 17 with 1540 viewsElephantintheRoom

97-98…I think. Three relegated teams contesting by top three - with, inevitably the third place team losing out to Charlton in the play offs. Probably before when most TWTD folk were born

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 14:02 - Apr 17 with 1330 viewsCobboldCrusty

Haven't worked it out but at a glance this seems extremely unlikely
Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 14:41 - Apr 17 with 1241 viewsSteve_M

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:06 - Apr 16 by gainsboroughblue

Yeah, although Charlton were only a couple of points off third. And the only reason we were a bit further back was because we didn't start our season until October. The top five all finished that season in excellent form.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 15:02 - Apr 17 with 1181 viewsPinewoodblue

Seen, on a Facebook group, someone had done the TWTD calculator & shared it. They had Leicester & Town promoted with 96 pts, Leeds third on 94 & Southampton fourth on 92 pts.

Looking at predictions it included a draw between Leeds & Southampton. Had they predicted a Leeds win we would have been shown as third on goal difference.

If that is how it turns out there are going to be a lof of seats needing cleaning at Portman Road.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 16:53 - Apr 17 with 1012 viewstextbackup

If that’s the case no way would Leeds fans, at home, settle for not trying to win the league

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Now. Imagining we finish 1st on 21:52 - Apr 17 with 769 viewsNthsuffolkblue

But it would be beautiful when Southampton score their 2nd, 3rd and 4th without reply in that scenario. Especially if we are comfortably ahead to ensure we snatch 2nd spot!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024