Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will you be disappointed… 07:46 - Apr 23 with 2783 viewschicoazul

…if we don’t make it this season? As in genuinely authentic disappointment at a lost opportunity and (maybe) losing the best young manager in England.
On the one hand, yes of course Chico duurrrrrrr we all want success.
On the other, I dunno about you but I was holding a vague hope for a cheeky tilt at the playoffs this year as opposed to this nerve shredding shoot out for top two we are now in.
I don’t think I could find it in me to be disappointed? This season and last have been so good it almost feels like betraying something to feel any more than mildly irritated if it doesn’t happen.
Guess we’ll see, and it’s still in our hands.
COYFBs.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Will you be disappointed… on 07:48 - Apr 23 with 2121 viewsWeirdFishes

I’ll be disappointed, 100% but not at the players if that makes sense. Unbelievably proud of what they’ve achieved but to miss out by a hair will no doubt be disappointing.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Will you be disappointed… on 07:50 - Apr 23 with 2107 viewsportmanking

I think there's a natural fear of failure and the vultures then circling around our manager and best player(s).

If you could tell me McKenna would be here for at least another 12 months come what may, I might be considerably more relaxed about the situation.
Will you be disappointed… on 07:50 - Apr 23 with 2109 viewsblueislander

I’m with you. Whatever the final outcome we have had a fantastic season, certainly way beyond what I expected. The real disappointment would be if we lose to Scum in the play offs.
Will you be disappointed… on 07:56 - Apr 23 with 2054 viewsSteve_M

I think we've got so close that it would be really disappointing not to go up now.

It is less critical to the club's future development than promotion last season was or as damaging as staggering in third in 2004-05 turned out to be but it will still hurt.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Will you be disappointed… on 08:02 - Apr 23 with 2016 viewsITFC_Forever

Yes.

While at the start of the season, we would have all settled for the POs, when you progress through a task, there is nothing wrong with revising your ambitions and goals upwards if it’s going better than expected.

It’s frustrating that we will have a points tally that would usually see a team get promoted in other seasons. But we are not playing in other seasons, we are playing in this one. And the fact is that two other sides will have more points and / or a higher goal difference than us.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Will you be disappointed… on 08:04 - Apr 23 with 2004 viewsArchiRob

Will you be disappointed… on 07:48 - Apr 23 by WeirdFishes

I’ll be disappointed, 100% but not at the players if that makes sense. Unbelievably proud of what they’ve achieved but to miss out by a hair will no doubt be disappointing.

absolutely agree - The main disappointment for me would be with the disparity of finances, and the authority's complete failure to manage it - how can Leicester have a 115m cheat and completely benefit from it, even Leeds owe 190m to other clubs. The disproportionate standard of refereeing highlighted today with the Lino missing obvious offsides and the number of penalties conceded, Basically what I perceive to be a completely unfair and morally bankrupt system. That said we will win the next 3!!!!
Will you be disappointed… on 08:07 - Apr 23 with 1958 viewsFrimleyBlue

Honestly. If we do miss out I'd have a mixture of emotions.

On one hand what a season beyond expectations.

The other is frustration that we threw away 2 very good opportunities at home to really take an auto place.

There would be lots to be chuffed about and positives to talk about for the many years.

But a fear is this could be the only season we have a sniff of a promotion. We don't know yet. But despite the crazy and brilliant season we've had. It doesn't stop you wondering a few whys...

Why did we not bring in a left back in January to at least give davis a break
Why did we bring off our tallest player when only 0-1 up against the leagues best set piece side to collapse 1-2
Etc etc

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Will you be disappointed… on 08:13 - Apr 23 with 1929 viewsOsmansCleanSheet

Will you be disappointed… on 07:50 - Apr 23 by blueislander

I’m with you. Whatever the final outcome we have had a fantastic season, certainly way beyond what I expected. The real disappointment would be if we lose to Scum in the play offs.

This is what I’m really worried about. Our best season in donkey’s years and if they’re the ones to end it for us and get promoted themselves (having had what they perceive to be a pretty poor season) we’d never hear the last of it.
Login to get fewer ads

Will you be disappointed… on 08:15 - Apr 23 with 1908 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Will you be disappointed… on 08:07 - Apr 23 by FrimleyBlue

Honestly. If we do miss out I'd have a mixture of emotions.

On one hand what a season beyond expectations.

The other is frustration that we threw away 2 very good opportunities at home to really take an auto place.

There would be lots to be chuffed about and positives to talk about for the many years.

But a fear is this could be the only season we have a sniff of a promotion. We don't know yet. But despite the crazy and brilliant season we've had. It doesn't stop you wondering a few whys...

Why did we not bring in a left back in January to at least give davis a break
Why did we bring off our tallest player when only 0-1 up against the leagues best set piece side to collapse 1-2
Etc etc

The answer to point 2 is our tallest player was knackered, and you don't leave a knackered player on just because they're tall.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Will you be disappointed… on 08:17 - Apr 23 with 1900 viewsChurchman

This is exactly where I am. I’ll be very disappointed, given how close we were and that opportunities like this don’t present themselves every day. Unlike 2014/15 when quite frankly we were well short of the promoted teams, we are not this season. We’ve been outstanding and if we don’t make it that’ll make the disappointment all the greater.

But beyond that the big picture for me will be is the club still growing and developing? The answer is yes and this overrides everything. Carry on doing that and we will get there.
Will you be disappointed… on 08:18 - Apr 23 with 1886 viewsFrimleyBlue

Will you be disappointed… on 08:15 - Apr 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

The answer to point 2 is our tallest player was knackered, and you don't leave a knackered player on just because they're tall.

Beg to differ flash. They weren't hurting us in any other way and he was a big help all through the game during their set pieces. But what's done is done.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Will you be disappointed… on 08:21 - Apr 23 with 1863 viewsPinewoodblue

We are within touching distance. The next three games are no tougher than the three that would follow should we fail.

Everything to play for. Will only be disappointed if the season ends with a whimper COYB

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Will you be disappointed… on 08:22 - Apr 23 with 1853 viewsHerbivore

Will you be disappointed… on 08:02 - Apr 23 by ITFC_Forever

Yes.

While at the start of the season, we would have all settled for the POs, when you progress through a task, there is nothing wrong with revising your ambitions and goals upwards if it’s going better than expected.

It’s frustrating that we will have a points tally that would usually see a team get promoted in other seasons. But we are not playing in other seasons, we are playing in this one. And the fact is that two other sides will have more points and / or a higher goal difference than us.

It's not a fact that two sides will have a higher points tally than us at the end of the season. Not sure why the need for all the defeatism.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Will you be disappointed… on 08:39 - Apr 23 with 1704 viewsITFC_Forever

Will you be disappointed… on 08:22 - Apr 23 by Herbivore

It's not a fact that two sides will have a higher points tally than us at the end of the season. Not sure why the need for all the defeatism.

Sorry, I was replying based on the theory we miss out… and if we miss out, two sides will have a better points tally and / or GD than us.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Will you be disappointed… on 08:42 - Apr 23 with 1683 viewsHerbivore

Will you be disappointed… on 08:39 - Apr 23 by ITFC_Forever

Sorry, I was replying based on the theory we miss out… and if we miss out, two sides will have a better points tally and / or GD than us.

Ah, fair enough. I'm still confident we're going to do it. Coventry and Hull play quite expansively and we've tended to do better against the footballing sides than against those who are very compact and organised. I think both are quite likely to be tired and demotivated by the time they kick off against us, which will also help. Not easy by any means, it's the Championship and they are good sides, but I'm feeling optimistic we'll win those two and that could even see us up before we play Huddersfield if Leeds don't win at QPR.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Will you be disappointed… on 08:46 - Apr 23 with 1659 viewsIPS_wich

Yes, but…

…probably in the same way I was disappointed that I missed out on a First at Uni by less than 1%.

The immediate sense of disappointment was soon replaced by pride, satisfaction and ultimately a logical understanding of where I fell short (in Town’s case it will be playing 5-6 games without a centre forward after Hirst went down*).

For Town this season, even if they don’t win another point, it’s objectively been an incredible performance - both on and off the field; and once the initial pain has subsided no one could look back at this season with anything other than overwhelming pride. We’ve got our club back, we stand for something and we can go again.

*Not a dig at Jackson, I think he’s a reasonable back up for the right wing - he’s just not a centre forward.
Will you be disappointed… on 08:55 - Apr 23 with 1603 viewsParisBlue

I'd be more disappointed for the players, many of whom have worked hard at lower leagues to get this chance of a lifetime. Burns, Burgess, Luongo, Morsy, Chaplin, Hladky etc

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Will you be disappointed… on 09:00 - Apr 23 with 1565 viewsN2_Blue

Will you be disappointed… on 07:50 - Apr 23 by blueislander

That is the fear. That one of the most memorable seasons ever could be forever tarnished by a memory of them ending it for us and themselves potentially getting promoted at our expense. Can you imagine, we'll never hear the end of it from them until the day we hit our graves.

The possibility is far too great for my liking. Not sayng it's going to happen and i'm still confident if we do play them but I'd rather not have the possibility of it happening at all.
[Post edited 23 Apr 9:02]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Will you be disappointed… on 09:04 - Apr 23 with 1508 viewsdirtyboy

Disappointed in some respects, but only because to lose out at the last is always painful.

Ultimately, i've had the best season watching us for over 20 years.

As someone else said, if I knew McKenna was here next season whatever the situation, i'd feel much more positive.

When you look at it though, losing out to the squads of Leicester and Leeds does put it in perspective why we (might) just fall short, and it's certainly not through effort or lack of attention to detail.

COYB
Will you be disappointed… on 09:09 - Apr 23 with 1470 viewsLinners

I will be, but maybe not for long - although that also depends on exactly how we lose in the playoffs...and who to!

In the end, we've gone toe-to-toe with three of the best squads ever seen in the Championship and pushed them right to the wire - largely with the same squad that played in League One last season. That's incredible and I'm really proud of them all.

But of course, it'll sting for a bit.
Will you be disappointed… on 09:19 - Apr 23 with 1431 viewsGuthrum

That is a point people should not forget. We have two bites at the cherry. Don't make the automatics and we still have the play-offs, in which this time we will be the strongest team, not the one clawing our way into 6th.

If we fail to go up altogether, then there will be disappointment, yes. After the season we've had, it will be painful to miss out.

But not the sort of disappointment which leads to criticism and blame. The team, manager and club have excelled. It would just be that our best in the circumstances could not quite beat that of teams who had been two divisions above us with significant financial doping (even misconduct) on top.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Will you be disappointed… on 09:21 - Apr 23 with 1421 viewsHelp

No. If we don't get automatic, no. If we don't go up via the play offs, no. A absolute season to enjoy and savour. Long live in the memory.
Will you be disappointed… on 09:29 - Apr 23 with 1373 viewsITFCson

Initial disappointment is natural I think as we have done so well this year and probably feel we deserve it. However once a couple of weeks have passed then upon reflection I think the disappointment will disappear and be replaced with excitement for next season.
If in the Champ next year we will be one of if not the favourites to win the league. It could also be argued that 1 more year in the championship will hold us in better stead for when we do make the premier league.
Even if we do not get promoted this year I would expect us to strengthen in the summer and Ipswich will be an attractive move for a lot of top players.
The main concern of not getting promoted this season would be losing McKenna, however I am confident he would give us at least 1 more season.
Will you be disappointed… on 09:35 - Apr 23 with 1326 viewsJakeITFC

Of course there will be sadness and annoyance to come this close and miss out, but these are the seasons I want to be involved in, and my hope that we get to the Premier League is just so we can keep players/managers/make some money to be competitive again at this level when we come back down.

The past two years of supporting Ipswich have been an absolute dream considering where we started, and I don't think the outcome of the next 10 days or so changes that too much for me.
Will you be disappointed… on 09:41 - Apr 23 with 1298 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Disappointed because I think the players and manager have been fantastic. As a fan of the club, team, town, county etc I’m pretty relaxed - the trajectory is brilliant and we’ll go up sooner or later.

Trying very hard to relax and enjoy it. We are involved in massive games again and I would have given a lot for that over the last 15 years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024