Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action 20:06 - May 7 with 2162 viewsunstableblue

https://theathletic.com/4837815/2023/09/07/burnley-transfer-window-assessed-summ

Good article above that gives us a sense of what business we could expect, and also the level of cover in each position. £15m players.

Kompany went young, and with quite some volume at 15 signings (two being loan players in the Championship campaign signed permanently), with £90m in fees.

It obviously wasn’t successful- Too much change?

Too much of an experimental model?:
“The transfer model of owners ALK Capital involves recruiting players from across Europe and taking calculated gambles on young high-potential players. The club wants to be viewed as the hotbed for developing young talent, increasing their value and enabling them to take the next step up the ladder, while helping Burnley on the pitch.”

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:16 - May 7 with 2031 viewssmithy69

I can see us spending 20/25m overall all year maybe ?

We aren’t spending 90m. No chance
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:18 - May 7 with 2006 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Way too much change

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:21 - May 7 with 1971 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:16 - May 7 by smithy69

20m gets you 1 PL quality player. Alex Scott and Wharton cost that without even kicking a ball in the PL.

No way will Gamechanger restrict spending to 20/25m (unless you meant net, and we sell Davis for 40m?).
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:27 - May 7 with 1910 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:16 - May 7 by smithy69

You realise this is the 2024/25 season we’re approaching. We will spend 50m plus.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:30 - May 7 with 1878 viewssmithy69

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:21 - May 7 by SuperKieranMcKenna

20m gets you 1 PL quality player. Alex Scott and Wharton cost that without even kicking a ball in the PL.

No way will Gamechanger restrict spending to 20/25m (unless you meant net, and we sell Davis for 40m?).

Davis is not worth 40m - and I’m his biggest fan lol. 20 max IMO

It’s just my opinion that we aren’t going to break the bank and risk FFP down the line. I think we will bring in 2 cracking loans from big clubs - hopefully pick up Omari as a purchase, and get 2/3 others in. I think everyone is under the impression there will be 7/8 new players - but I just don’t see that
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:30 - May 7 with 1869 viewsFrimleyBlue

Tbh. Think we need that Core 5 and then some additional squad fillers amongst our current side.

New GK

Tuenzebe/clarke
Wolfenden/edmundson
New prem experienced CB/burgess
Davis/cover left back

Morsy/Downes/sheaf
New Prem experienced CM/taylor

Hutchinson/Burns/New RM
Prem experienced 10/chappers
Sarmiento/broadhead

Hirst
New prem striker
Al hamadi
[Post edited 7 May 20:32]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:33 - May 7 with 1834 viewssmithy69

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:27 - May 7 by PrideOfTheEast

You realise this is the 2024/25 season we’re approaching. We will spend 50m plus.

No chance IMO

Luton spent 17m for reference

We aren’t Spending 3/4x that. Zero chance
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:37 - May 7 with 1781 viewsFrimleyBlue

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:33 - May 7 by smithy69

No chance IMO

Luton however went into looking to stay up
I don't think that's all Ashton wants to do.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:38 - May 7 with 1784 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:33 - May 7 by smithy69

No chance IMO

A post above you’re saying we’d buy Hutchinson and yet don’t expect us to spend 50m+.

How much do you think it would cost to buy Hutchinson then? Chelsea would value him at north of £20m alone.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:50 - May 7 with 1628 viewssmithy69

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:38 - May 7 by PrideOfTheEast

A post above you’re saying we’d buy Hutchinson and yet don’t expect us to spend 50m+.

How much do you think it would cost to buy Hutchinson then? Chelsea would value him at north of £20m alone.

Chelsea will not get anywhere near 20m for Hutchinson currently IMO. It’s more likely Chelsea will offer him a new contract - And send him back on loan for a Full season to see how he gets on

Football is a game of opinions so no one is wrong either way.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:55 - May 7 with 1589 viewsolimar

Depends on the definition of success for Burnley. If they go down narrowly, but having bedded in a higher quality of player, more of them that they own rather than borrow from elsewhere, then the club is further forward and ready to come back stronger in the Championship.
They probably didnt set out to do that, but if thats how it ends up its arguably a success.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:06 - May 7 with 1475 viewsNutkins_Return

We'll spend between £45-60 million I reckon. Feels really strange to write that given where we have been and how that to us seems staggering money. It is staggering money...but not for the prem. It's small money for the prem.

We'll be careful with our spend in that it will be aimed mostly at players that can increase in value and are young enough not to have huge huge wages.

Going to be really interesting. If we could even persuade Chelsea to sell it would be £15-20 million minimum for Hutchinson I would think.

Sheaf would cost £15 million. Robins says more.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:07 - May 7 with 1468 viewsDaninthecampo

No chance IMO

And that's why they're very likely to be going down and have only 26 points from 36 games!
If we want to keep McK we need to be more ambitious than that, I agree we're not going to spend 90m but 40-50 on 4 or 5 quality players seems reasonable
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:46 - May 7 with 1304 viewsBondiBlue

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:07 - May 7 by Daninthecampo

And that's why they're very likely to be going down and have only 26 points from 36 games!
If we want to keep McK we need to be more ambitious than that, I agree we're not going to spend 90m but 40-50 on 4 or 5 quality players seems reasonable

Think this is a good point. The ambition or lack of it will be crucial in keeping mckenna. He's already said publicly that he wants hutchinson for his birthday so that really needs to happen.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:47 - May 7 with 1294 viewsDarkBrandon

We are going to spend a lot more than £20m.

We have £130m coming in. What do you think we are going to do with it?
[Post edited 7 May 21:50]
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:56 - May 7 with 1233 viewssmithy69

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:47 - May 7 by DarkBrandon

We are going to spend a lot more than £20m.

We have £130m coming in. What do you think we are going to do with it?
[Post edited 7 May 21:50]

Yeah we Are just gonna spend 100m lol. Get everyone on 100k a week and give them 5 year contracts. Seems like a cracking business plan :)

Mckenna, Ashton or the owners will not waste money or go crazy. It just won’t happen

For starters FFP and PSR stops that to be honest.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:56 - May 7 with 1231 viewsVegtablue

No chance IMO

Luton spent a little more than that last summer, which was the lowest spend for a newly promoted club in quite some time I think, while Burnley spent one of the highest ever amounts in £95M. My guess is we'll be somewhere in the middle.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:58 - May 7 with 1213 viewsBloomBlue

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:46 - May 7 by BondiBlue

Think this is a good point. The ambition or lack of it will be crucial in keeping mckenna. He's already said publicly that he wants hutchinson for his birthday so that really needs to happen.

But McKenna has also said he believes in his own ability as a coach to improve players. I don't think he is suddenly going to expect the club to spend 100+ million on players.
Yes there will be players coming in but Hutchinson could be a loan.
Plus if it was purely about getting in Prem players for whatever amount would he actually be interested in Hutchinson or demanding that the club get Michael Olise a proven Prem winger/No10
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 22:05 - May 7 with 1135 viewsVegtablue

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:58 - May 7 by BloomBlue

But McKenna has also said he believes in his own ability as a coach to improve players. I don't think he is suddenly going to expect the club to spend 100+ million on players.
Plus if it was purely about getting in Prem players for whatever amount would he actually be interested in Hutchinson or demanding that the club get Michael Olise a proven Prem winger/No10

There is a balance to be struck for sure.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 22:13 - May 7 with 1085 viewsDarkBrandon

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:56 - May 7 by smithy69

Yeah we Are just gonna spend 100m lol. Get everyone on 100k a week and give them 5 year contracts. Seems like a cracking business plan :)

Mckenna, Ashton or the owners will not waste money or go crazy. It just won’t happen

For starters FFP and PSR stops that to be honest.

FPP and PSR stop you losing too much money. But if we get 100m+ in tv money, we won’t be losing the money. We will be spending our income.

Sure, our wage bill will go up a lot, we will invest in the stadium, the academy, the training ground and so forth, but we will spend a lot more on fees than people have realised.

Additionally we’ve just raised money through a share issue. Our investors haven’t given us money for it to sit in the bank. That is just wasting cash. And our old shareholders haven’t sold equity for no reason. They’ve raised the cash so it can be invested.

Last time we were in the PL we bought players for 4 and 5 million. Tv revenues have quadrupled since then. Expect our transfer budget to increase similarly
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 22:20 - May 7 with 1030 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 20:50 - May 7 by smithy69

Chelsea will not get anywhere near 20m for Hutchinson currently IMO. It’s more likely Chelsea will offer him a new contract - And send him back on loan for a Full season to see how he gets on

Football is a game of opinions so no one is wrong either way.

Of course they would get £20m for him but they won’t sell him.

And yes all about opinions -- let’s revisit this later.
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 22:26 - May 7 with 973 viewsVegtablue

Courtesy of The Athletic, here are the total wage bills for PL clubs last season, taken from their published accounts:

(* = 21/22 figures used):

Our total revenue is likely to be in the £145-185M region, mostly dependent on our league finish. Interesting how the 22/23 intake immediately fell in line with the rest of the division re wages, but then Fulham had only been absent one season, Bournemouth only two, and Forest broke FFP that year.

https://theathletic.com/5397094/2024/04/08/fulham-accounts-record-revenue-psr/
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 22:36 - May 7 with 912 viewsReusersTown

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 21:58 - May 7 by BloomBlue

Olise?! lol what?
Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 22:36 - May 7 with 910 viewsWicklowBlue

Benchmarking against Burnley summer transfer action on 22:20 - May 7 by PrideOfTheEast

Of course they would get £20m for him but they won’t sell him.

And yes all about opinions -- let’s revisit this later.

Agreed opinions etc. I think the difference here is the bond McKenna makes with players. Ultimately it's the player who agrees a deal through his agent. Chelsea also hoover up a massive amount of young players. There is a deal to be done and might surprise us...take Hirst for example albeit a League below.

The McKenna affect might helps us because a) the player agitates for the move and b) one good season may not be replicated elsewhere we've seen that many times before.

I might be dreaming, but our recruitment is top notch which has got us to where we are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024