Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season 15:31 - May 8 with 2323 viewsMidlandBlue25

Sarmiento works really hard and has been a great loan, but I wouldn’t sign him for next season. I think there’s better players out there that we can use to fill our squad
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:33 - May 8 with 2277 viewsZx1988

I can see both sides of the argument.

For me, I've seen a massive change in him over the course of the four months he's spent working with McKenna; very similar to how he has developed Hutchinson over the last nine months. There seem to be a lot of parallels between the two players and how they've changed under KMc.

I reckon, if we'd had Sarmiento for the whole season, we'd have ended up with two of the best young talents in the division with him and Hutchinson. If McKenna sees him as having a similar development trajectory to that of Hutchinson, I'd definitely want him for a further season.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:36 - May 8 with 2248 viewsSheffordBlue

The advantages seem to be that we could get it done really early (already agreed as an option according to some reports) and could therefore get him in for the full pre-season. He's also a totally known quantity so no concerns that he might not fit or might disrupt the squad.

Thought he improved a lot after our 2 week break before the Hull game and this was the first solid training block he'd had with the squad since he joined.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:36 - May 8 with 2225 viewsElderGrizzly

Hasn't Phil said our deal has him here next season too if we were promoted?
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:37 - May 8 with 2196 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Whoever we sign, they need to be the same style - technical players with good balance who can slide past players with ease. Without them we don't really have that in our team.
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:39 - May 8 with 2153 viewskizaitfc

Would entirely depend on the cost.

I see no reason why having a hard working young player with clear ability in our squad. Would he be a regular starter, no, but he makes a great impact off the bench and is only going to improve.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:41 - May 8 with 2121 viewsDarkBrandon

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:36 - May 8 by ElderGrizzly

Hasn't Phil said our deal has him here next season too if we were promoted?

I think it was reported there's an option now we are in the PL
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:44 - May 8 with 2081 viewsHerbivore

I'm a bit on the fence with Sarmiento. He produced some huge moments for us and his all round game was getting better and better during his spell. I think he potentially has a high ceiling. That said, for him to take up one of our two Prem loans he'd need to be starting regularly or bringing Prem experience and I'm not sure he ticks either of those boxes. If we could sign him permanently as more of a project I'd be all over it but I don't know that that's realistic.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 16:42 - May 8 with 1788 viewsSarge

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 15:44 - May 8 by Herbivore

I'm a bit on the fence with Sarmiento. He produced some huge moments for us and his all round game was getting better and better during his spell. I think he potentially has a high ceiling. That said, for him to take up one of our two Prem loans he'd need to be starting regularly or bringing Prem experience and I'm not sure he ticks either of those boxes. If we could sign him permanently as more of a project I'd be all over it but I don't know that that's realistic.

The Premier League confuses me. You can only have two loans, so essentially if you want to take a punt on someone you have to buy them. Which makes the squads bloated, stifles the development of so many players who end up being loaned out lower down the pyramid instead, and essentially encourages the egregious spending on players that they now are supposedly so hot on trying to control.

I know it’s not a novel opinion, but the Premier League really is the cause of all its own problems.
Login to get fewer ads

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 16:49 - May 8 with 1723 viewsbaxterbasics

I think he's a good option to have but wouldn't expect him to be in KMs 'plan A' - if better options don't come to fruition, he could yet be needed.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 17:32 - May 8 with 1569 viewsOldFart71

Tbh you could aim the same comments for Al Hamadi. Hutchinson's pedigree was higher profile than Sarmiento or Al Hamadi. There's an enormous amount of improvement in both of them. Neither, apart from the goal against Saints have had the same impact as Hutchinson. Al Hamadi was unlucky not to have scored before Sarmiento came on. I honestly believe given McKenna's ability to improve players that both have a huge amount of improvement in them.
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 17:36 - May 8 with 1544 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’d probably rather sign him than use up one of our only 2 loan places on him. If the price is right, whether he’s immediately ready for the PL is almost irrelevant as he still a prospect and you’d think someone we could make a profit on (we’re always going to need one eye on player trading to make up losses).

As a loan, I’d like to think we could do better now we’re up. And if Hitch ends up taking one loan slot, we may need the other one for a first team starter.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 17:40 - May 8 with 1517 viewsKeno

I reckon with the right coaching he could make a really good holding midfield player

Can certainly put a shift in and not afraid of a tackle

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 18:44 - May 8 with 1300 viewsAVJones

Agree 100%.

With only two loans allowed we need way better. He never made the first choice 11; and though a great sub (and top loan) that was in the Championship.
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 19:40 - May 8 with 1125 viewsmonty_radio

He has great moments in him, and will probably improve further, but if the immediate cause is initial comfortable survival then a young player who may well come very good, but, more probably, one or two years down the line is not, one would think, the first likely thing into the shopping basket.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 20:03 - May 8 with 1057 viewsNutkins_Return

Wow everyone entitled to an opinion but that boy is going to get better and better. Would love him back. Another year with McKenna and I think he can develop into the real deal. What I love about him is his quality on the ball which is complimented by him being an absolute warrior off it. Rare.

Think he has to develop his understanding of the game and the patterns and structure McKenna will want. He's like a quality street footballer who is getting better and better in real football.
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 20:08 - May 8 with 1026 viewsibbleobble

Who’s that then?
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 20:12 - May 8 with 994 viewsCoastalblue

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 20:03 - May 8 by Nutkins_Return

Wow everyone entitled to an opinion but that boy is going to get better and better. Would love him back. Another year with McKenna and I think he can develop into the real deal. What I love about him is his quality on the ball which is complimented by him being an absolute warrior off it. Rare.

Think he has to develop his understanding of the game and the patterns and structure McKenna will want. He's like a quality street footballer who is getting better and better in real football.

I'm with you, he may not be a starter at the start of the season but we've seen what happens to players here now. He has all the attributes, and a pretty good all round game along with the engine and desire to use it all, just needs guidance on how.

IF he ended up here again then I think he could be Omari Mk2 in the second half of the season, even a league up.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 20:17 - May 8 with 966 viewsvictorywilhappen

Thanks. Strange but it's always good to have a broad view. He has been and will be into the future nothing short of brilliant who is an obvious strong part of this team.
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 20:25 - May 8 with 907 viewsChurchman

I like him. A pre season under McKenna and there’s a dangerous player there. For the right money, I’d sign him.
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t have Sarmiento back next season on 20:29 - May 8 with 881 viewsFrimleyBlue

Personally I felt the more he played the more he began ti looked like a top quality potential player

As a player I've not seen many who not only attacks and be as direct as he us but also had that tenacious work rate to get back and tackle and he loves a tackle.

He's almost a mix of Harness/broadhead and Brandon williams in one.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024