Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sammie Szmodics 15:33 - May 9 with 6203 viewsitfcjoe

Feels an inevitability he ends up with an EPL club (or Celtic) this Summer, and wonder whether it's one we would be in for.

We've been in for him before under McKenna, and we tend to revisit the same targets window to window (or have done previously)

He's obviously had an incredible season with 27 goals, he doesn't strike me as a one season wonder but just a player who has put together what he has threatened to over last few seasons finally

Geographically it works for us, but will his Colchester background be a help or hindrance?

I get people who say 'no resale value' but think in year 1 of the PL, it is important that we get some players in their prime as well because we can't just be developing players wholly - we need to hit the ground running. Remember this ownership group signed Freddie Ladapo, Greg Leigh, Marcus Harness, Mass Luongo and Dom Ball in L1, these were players for the here and now and not ones with any real resale value or scope to develop.

I think that element of our recruitment (i.e. looking for resale value) is very much over-egged, realistically Leif Davis and Harry Clarke the only 2 players signed in that mould so don't expect us to go too heavy in that direction.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sammie Szmodics on 15:36 - May 9 with 4318 viewsbaxterbasics

If McKenna knows he can make good use of him (his previous interests suggests yes) & it's not going to cost silly money (less certain -depends on which clubs are competing for him I guess) then it's a yes from me.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Sammie Szmodics on 15:42 - May 9 with 4237 viewsbuoyant

Well it's a yes from me. Think he'd be a great addition and as you say at his prime!

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/november/28/-he-s-sometimes-a-bit-crazy-in-a-

Good article above....

UTT

Sammie Szmodics on 15:43 - May 9 with 4230 viewsdirtyboy

Possibly the Chaplin straight swap?

Don't see him further forward, but don't think he's got the work rate of Chaplin, but only seen him a couple of times and in highlights.
Sammie Szmodics on 15:45 - May 9 with 4210 viewsNumber22

He won't come to Town, he would go to Palace, Southampton, Leeds or West Ham.
You'd also be looking in the region of 10-12mil, I'd rather pile that into Omari's fee.
[Post edited 9 May 15:46]
Sammie Szmodics on 15:51 - May 9 with 4089 viewsAero

From what I hear, he would be interested in joining due to being near family in Colchester. Depends if we renew our interest or not.
Sammie Szmodics on 16:02 - May 9 with 3990 viewstractorboy1978

Sammie Szmodics on 15:51 - May 9 by Aero

From what I hear, he would be interested in joining due to being near family in Colchester. Depends if we renew our interest or not.

I know someone that went to school with him and he (or his partner in particular) is keen to move back near Colchester. His next move will definitely be this way. I guess that doesn't rule out London and several clubs though. Whatever allegiance he may have to Colchester, he would be silly not to want to play/develop under McKenna though! Perfect manager for a player of his ilk.
Sammie Szmodics on 16:11 - May 9 with 3868 viewsIllinoisblue

Blackburn will, rightly, want stupid money for him and can’t see us splashing 10mill (or more) for him even though I agree with you that we’re going to need players for the here and now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sammie Szmodics on 16:18 - May 9 with 3808 viewsBiGDonnie

I think we'll be in for him and that he'd jump at the chance. Can cover a few positions and as you say seems to have put everything together this season. Don't think Blackburn would want 'too' much for him either, £7m-10m maybe?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Sammie Szmodics on 16:32 - May 9 with 3680 viewsnodge_blue

I bet Sam Gallagher must have thought that could have been me at the weekend.

I think that ship has sailed.

I think we need a natural goal scorer. Szmodics would fit the bill and wouldnt be too expensive i guess.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Sammie Szmodics on 16:33 - May 9 with 3674 viewsle2blue

I can see it happening, given previous interest. I'm sure he has a reasonable release clause in his contract as I'm sure he wouldn't have signed it if it was too restrictive given his interest in getting back down south.

I'm sure the ColU thing will be well and truly overcome with the money, location, premier league and McKenna opportunity we would present.

Darren Ambrose said on TownTv when we played them at Ewood, that Sammie and his family were Town fans growing up.
Sammie Szmodics on 16:37 - May 9 with 3630 viewsRegencyBlue

Sammie Szmodics on 16:11 - May 9 by Illinoisblue

Blackburn will, rightly, want stupid money for him and can’t see us splashing 10mill (or more) for him even though I agree with you that we’re going to need players for the here and now.

They might want stupid money for him but they are not in a position to dig their heels in too much.

The Venkys are in hot water with the Indian Government, who are not letting them send any money to the UK currently. That means Blackburn will have to sell players to keep paying the bills. Don’t think Szmodics will be as expensive as some think.
Sammie Szmodics on 16:39 - May 9 with 3604 viewsKieran_Knows

He’s a McKenna player if I’ve ever seen one, and I appreciate he’s spent the season up top and bagged 27 goals, but I think in that pocket behind the striker in this McKenna system he’d be ideal.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Sammie Szmodics on 17:00 - May 9 with 3451 viewstractorboy1978

Sammie Szmodics on 16:33 - May 9 by le2blue

I can see it happening, given previous interest. I'm sure he has a reasonable release clause in his contract as I'm sure he wouldn't have signed it if it was too restrictive given his interest in getting back down south.

I'm sure the ColU thing will be well and truly overcome with the money, location, premier league and McKenna opportunity we would present.

Darren Ambrose said on TownTv when we played them at Ewood, that Sammie and his family were Town fans growing up.

There are a few links there as well:

Mates with Jack Taylor from their Peterborough days
Worked with Rene Gilmartin for Ireland
Signed (and sold) by Ashton at Bristol City
Glowing reports from Travis I am sure

As you say, given he's wanted to move back down South for a while and he only signed a new deal in November, I suspect he has a fairly reasonable release clause.
[Post edited 9 May 17:01]
Sammie Szmodics on 18:41 - May 9 with 3119 viewsibbleobble

I think we’ll be adding a bit of PL know how to the squad. I don’t envisage us signing more than about 4 or 5 players, 3 of those being through the spine of the team so I’m not sure on Szmodic. I seem to remember us being in for a German target man at the same time we were looking at Gallagher and Moore though so I wouldn’t rule out us going abroad and my “PL experience” thought being wide of the mark.
Sammie Szmodics on 19:22 - May 9 with 2966 viewsSwailsey

Have always been impressed with him. Would love him here.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Sammie Szmodics on 19:37 - May 9 with 2860 viewsmrfixit426

No Tippy Tappy Football have just dropped a pod with him as the guest. I'm only a third of the way through it but he seems to have his head screwed on, and is very confident in his own ability. I know we target players with intelligence, and he seems to fall into that category.

The downside is you have to listen to Sam Allardyce for an hour.

Edit: I can't get the link to post. Any help?
[Post edited 9 May 19:41]
Sammie Szmodics on 19:38 - May 9 with 2844 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Depends what we expect from him?

He's gone from 5 league goals in a season to 27. If we are relying on him to contribute a lot of goals, it seems high risk.

I think in the EPL and having the funds that brings, we will be less reliant on the resale value model than we would have been had we stayed in the Champ.

Im not against signing him, but wouldnt be high up on my list.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sammie Szmodics on 19:41 - May 9 with 2801 viewsITFCBlues

Sammie Szmodics on 19:38 - May 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Depends what we expect from him?

He's gone from 5 league goals in a season to 27. If we are relying on him to contribute a lot of goals, it seems high risk.

I think in the EPL and having the funds that brings, we will be less reliant on the resale value model than we would have been had we stayed in the Champ.

Im not against signing him, but wouldnt be high up on my list.

Agreed. It'd be a huge gamble.

He's 29 in August, will have no resell value at all. He's likely to cost at least 15m, if not 20m plus. He's had an exceptional season and looks a fantastic finisher, but Im not sure spending that sort of money is wise - that'd likely be a huge portion of our total budget.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Sammie Szmodics on 19:45 - May 9 with 2769 viewsMK1

For what he would cost and that alone, I would say no. Based on this season, yes, but over his career, think we could do better, just based on what he would cost. Would rather we signed Hutchinson at about the same price.
Sammie Szmodics on 19:58 - May 9 with 2678 viewsjayessess

Sammie Szmodics on 19:41 - May 9 by ITFCBlues

He's 29 in August, will have no resell value at all. He's likely to cost at least 15m, if not 20m plus. He's had an exceptional season and looks a fantastic finisher, but Im not sure spending that sort of money is wise - that'd likely be a huge portion of our total budget.

Can it really be the case that a 29-year-old with no resell value could command that kind of fee?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sammie Szmodics on 20:07 - May 9 with 2637 viewsMK1

Sammie Szmodics on 19:58 - May 9 by jayessess

Can it really be the case that a 29-year-old with no resell value could command that kind of fee?

For those who are willing to throw money at it, no, but we aren't in the same shop as many at the moment.
Sammie Szmodics on 21:33 - May 9 with 2445 viewscressi

Sammie Szmodics on 15:43 - May 9 by dirtyboy

Possibly the Chaplin straight swap?

Don't see him further forward, but don't think he's got the work rate of Chaplin, but only seen him a couple of times and in highlights.

Really Chaplin to Blackburn Nt a chance he will go there Portsmouth possibly as he liked it there but they can't afford him
Sammie Szmodics on 21:36 - May 9 with 2393 viewscressi

Sammie Szmodics on 19:41 - May 9 by ITFCBlues

Survive one season and its payed for
Sammie Szmodics on 22:08 - May 9 with 2263 viewsjayessess

Sammie Szmodics on 20:07 - May 9 by MK1

For those who are willing to throw money at it, no, but we aren't in the same shop as many at the moment.

Just think there's a bit of dissonance between saying a player isn't worth signing because they're 29, has no Premier League experience and no resale value, but also will be too expensive.

All that would apply for any other club looking at him and also applies to Blackburn wanting to realise any value too.

One reason it's worthwhile to target older players is that £5-10m buys you a lot more quality right now (because every penny is predicated on the player they are now) than if you bought a younger player (where some of the fee is potential/resale value/potential longer future with the club).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sammie Szmodics on 23:39 - May 9 with 2014 viewsWicklowBlue

He just got some game time for the ROI team, definitely added something.

No expert, but had a great season, powerful runner can score goals...

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/33727/13114175/it-s-incredible-sammie-s

Ipswich could be his entry to the EPL
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024