Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 20997 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:09 - May 15 with 894 viewsGlasgowBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:46 - May 15 by nodge_blue

I really don't see him going to Brighton and certainly not Brentford as mentioned yesterday. I think he will either go to a top six club or not at all.

Brighton are only a step away from us and arguably, he would like us to hunt them down and be the next Brighton. I don't even see them as a safe option as they have probably reached their ceiling and its either sideways or down for them.

Brighton aren’t just a step away from us. They are an established Premier league club who recently qualified for Europe and have all the infrastructure of an established a premier league club set up.

If you were to walk into their training facilities and compare them with playfield road you would think you have stepped onto another planet.

We have great owners and fantastic ambition, but going to a Brighton would be a big step up for KM. We have to be realistic about this.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:09 - May 15 with 894 viewsRyorry

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:45 - May 15 by Guthrum

I suspect that McKenna has tremendous confidence in his own ability (plus background and experience). You don't get to such senior jobs without that. Moreover, he's either lived or seen very close up all the available options.

It's going to be an equation of specific circumstances, prospects and benefits for each path which guides his decision (should offers be made at this point). He's young and time is very much on his side. Comes across as a very cool head. I very much doubt he will be precipitately leaping one way or the other, snatching at any chance for fear they may not come again.

"I very much doubt he will be precipitately leaping one way or the other, snatching at any chance for fear they may not come again."

Quite. All this "the chance may never come again" is pure guesswork & likely long odds against it being correct - I doubt whoever ManU choose now is gonna turn out to be a Fergie-like fixture for the next 2 decades.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:10 - May 15 with 884 viewsNeedhamChris

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:09 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Brighton aren’t just a step away from us. They are an established Premier league club who recently qualified for Europe and have all the infrastructure of an established a premier league club set up.

If you were to walk into their training facilities and compare them with playfield road you would think you have stepped onto another planet.

We have great owners and fantastic ambition, but going to a Brighton would be a big step up for KM. We have to be realistic about this.

You put that far more eloquently than I did, but agree completely.

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:10 - May 15 with 890 viewsnodge_blue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:55 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

Not sure there's much in it aside from his people trying to build his stature ahead of the summer and inevitable vacancies which come up. I doubt Man United would look to employ him at this stage.

Having read that twice Phil Im not sure if that's reassuring or worrying.

His people trying to build his stature for summer vacancies?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Brighton is literally…. on 10:12 - May 15 with 842 viewsnodge_blue

Brighton is literally…. on 09:49 - May 15 by Bloots

….the perfect move for him.

Financially stable, excellent supportive owner, really good MD and a desire to play a very similar style of football to him.

The perfect fit and in my view his most likely destination.

Im sorry, are you describing ITFC in that second paragraph?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:12 - May 15 with 847 viewsPhilTWTD

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:10 - May 15 by nodge_blue

Having read that twice Phil Im not sure if that's reassuring or worrying.

His people trying to build his stature for summer vacancies?

That's their job, to make their client more attractive for potential moves. Doesn't mean Kieran is necessarily going to want those jobs, or that offers will come.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:13 - May 15 with 835 viewsPhilTWTD

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:57 - May 15 by wkj

Do you think there has been informal discussions between the two parties as has been reported, or do you think it is all guff.
[Post edited 15 May 9:57]

Suspect largely guff, although agents and clubs talk, of course. Would surprise me greatly if KMc ended up at Man United this summer.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:14 - May 15 with 809 viewstractorboy1978

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:12 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

That's their job, to make their client more attractive for potential moves. Doesn't mean Kieran is necessarily going to want those jobs, or that offers will come.

We had this sort of talk last summer re Leicester. Imagine his agent is doing his job and strengthening his hand as much as possible when it comes to new contract negotiations over the next few weeks.
Login to get fewer ads

Brighton is literally…. on 10:15 - May 15 with 788 viewsNeedhamChris

Brighton is literally…. on 10:12 - May 15 by nodge_blue

Im sorry, are you describing ITFC in that second paragraph?

We're not financially stable long term yet - we need to establish ourselves in the Premier League for that to be the case.

A bit like, erm, Brighton

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:16 - May 15 with 769 viewsNthQldITFC

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:58 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Genuine question... Does a manager actually have representatives? I'd also thought the managers wouldn't have one.

Man, the managers' representatives have representatives these days! Every dog has to get a mouthful.

So, naturalists observe, a flea
Hath smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller fleas to bite 'em,
And so proceed ad infinitum.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:16 - May 15 with 768 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:06 - May 15 by Herbivore

It's the fact he has a say in the matter that means he will go if United come calling. The reasons not to take it are far outweighed by the reasons to take it. Anyone who thinks he'd turn United down is being very naive.

Are they though? Do you know all his reasons?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

McKenna will leave for Man U or Spurs one day.. probably latter on 10:17 - May 15 with 765 viewsunstableblue

But I don’t think just yet

He’s got the perfect training ground for his own skills next season in the Premier League, and our promotion has probably confirmed he’ll be here next season.

I actually think the Spurs job is more attractive the new stadium revenue is immense and Old Trafford is a mess
[Post edited 15 May 10:21]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:17 - May 15 with 762 viewspointofblue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:13 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

Suspect largely guff, although agents and clubs talk, of course. Would surprise me greatly if KMc ended up at Man United this summer.

Wouldn't it be seen as 'tapping up'. If they follow regulations shouldn't Town be given permission for them to approach him first?

Or is that just me being exceptionally naive?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:17 - May 15 with 760 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

United need to rip up their playing squad and start again. The most underperforming players, with reportedly the highest wage bill in the PL. Players who either aren’t good enough to justify their wages, or simply lacking in motivation.

What they need is a manager with a track record, who can move the current players on and sign a whole new team…what they need is a ‘Demolition Man’….
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:18 - May 15 with 755 viewsportmanking

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:14 - May 15 by tractorboy1978

We had this sort of talk last summer re Leicester. Imagine his agent is doing his job and strengthening his hand as much as possible when it comes to new contract negotiations over the next few weeks.

This is my hope. Best-case scenario, he gets a much-improved contract, with a potential clause which allows him to leave for Man Utd from next summer onwards.
Agree with this on 10:19 - May 15 with 733 viewsDyland

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:25 - May 15 by BloomBlue

I still think Man U will want to see how he performs as a manager in the Prem next season with Ipswich. Relegation won't automatically hurt him personally, the so-called experts will all expect Ipwich to be relegated, especially after taking us from L1 in 2 seasons. Its not like Burnley who had been relegated from the Prem and then promoted back the following season. It will be our style of play and how he tries to prevent relegation they will be more interested in.

The comparisons with Kompany are superfifical at best. As pertinent as the different paths to promotion is the fact McKenna has a hell of a ] lot more coaching experience. In terms of experience and achievements they are chalk and cheese as managers.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Hahaha on 10:21 - May 15 with 727 viewsDyland

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:17 - May 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

United need to rip up their playing squad and start again. The most underperforming players, with reportedly the highest wage bill in the PL. Players who either aren’t good enough to justify their wages, or simply lacking in motivation.

What they need is a manager with a track record, who can move the current players on and sign a whole new team…what they need is a ‘Demolition Man’….

I was going to write they need a demolition man insread of grizzly gnarly old hatchet man ;)

Not sure Cook would take the job though unless ManU let him bring the kit man and his other buddies in as first team staff.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:24 - May 15 with 692 viewsBluedandy

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:42 - May 15 by nodge_blue

It would be devastating if he does go. But if he does goes, it cant be well into June given Utd are in the FA cup final. None of that will be good for our preparations. And then how many of his team go as well? Maybe not as many given Man U have been recruiting several positions.

I am not so sure he would go. He may at 38 still see many years and opportunities ahead. He may also feel a loyalty to the team and want to give it a good go here first.

But without doubt, being a Man U fan and the size of the club it could happen.

If its going to happen, then best its done quick.

How can we / Kieron be trying to attract Omari otherwise?

The temptation is huge but if KM goes back to Man Utd now he will be under huge pressure from the off.

If results are dodgy he will soon face the same internal doubts as before from the bigger players / egos.

Namely, great youth team / EFL coach but not suited as someone who never tasted first team professional football for managing some of the most highly paid players on the planet.

Does he really need to endure the same old derision, behind his back so-called stars previously mocked KM as a glorified PE teacher.

Now if KM consolidates Town in the top flight, survival first season then mid-table or higher finish second season, he would have the elite managerial world at his feet ... and he'd still only be 40!

Irrelevant even if his next club had a dressing room full of Kylian Mbappes, our KM would have their instant respect.

He'd leave with our blessing and we'd probably build him a statue.

Jilt us now at the Premier League altar and it's more likely to be a voodoo doll especially if the saga drags on for weeks before departure.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:25 - May 15 with 692 viewsnodge_blue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:12 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

That's a dangerous game though as players like Omari will probably only come here if McKenna is in situ. They big up their man for a potential move whilst gently pulling the rug from under his ITFC feet?

I don't even see that they need to big him up given the hype around him at the moment anyway. The cameras seem fascinated with him chatting with Southgate the other night.

I suspect there is something in it. Man U will have a list of potential replacements and he clearly has to be on it. But there's a long way between that and approaching ITFC about it all.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:26 - May 15 with 678 viewsGuthrum

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:18 - May 15 by portmanking

This is my hope. Best-case scenario, he gets a much-improved contract, with a potential clause which allows him to leave for Man Utd from next summer onwards.

But McKenna only signed a new four-year deal back in June. With his senior staff doing similar in September. All up to summer 2027, a long way ahead. Doubtless there would have been promotion bonuses and salary hikes included.

Continually waving new contracts in front of him smacks of desperation, especially when we already have something decent in place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:26 - May 15 with 679 viewsPhilTWTD

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:17 - May 15 by pointofblue

Wouldn't it be seen as 'tapping up'. If they follow regulations shouldn't Town be given permission for them to approach him first?

Or is that just me being exceptionally naive?

It goes on an awful lot. As I say, agents and clubs talk regularly. The same agents which represent current members of a squad will also represent players in whom they have an interest.
Brighton is literally…. on 10:27 - May 15 with 665 viewsReusersTown

Brighton is literally…. on 09:56 - May 15 by Guthrum

But are we not already those things, with the added advantages of him being embedded in the club and having his selected squad already in place?

They just timed their rise a few years before we have.

With a far greater legacy here if he stays and succeeds.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:27 - May 15 with 667 views_clive_baker_

[Post edited 15 May 10:30]
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:29 - May 15 with 647 viewsGuthrum

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:26 - May 15 by PhilTWTD

It goes on an awful lot. As I say, agents and clubs talk regularly. The same agents which represent current members of a squad will also represent players in whom they have an interest.

So agents spend a lot of time talking to themselves ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:30 - May 15 with 635 viewsblueasfook

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:31 - May 15 by Herbivore

Agreed, I think some people are being massively unrealistic. If United come calling, there are very few managers who would turn them down and I seriously doubt McKenna is one of them. It's his dream job, you don't say no to your dream job when it's offered.
[Post edited 15 May 8:35]

Managing Man Utd isn't the dream job it used to be. Since Fergie stepped down, its been a managerial graveyard. Moyes, Mourinho, Van Gaal, Solskjaer, Rangnick, Ten Haag. All tried but failed to achieve success there. The playing squad is a bunch of primadonnas. Fans are nobs, stadium is leaking, Glazers have saddled it with debt.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024