Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 20995 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:10 - May 15 with 1121 viewsStokieBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:07 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Pro's
Pay Rise
Big club
Potential Euro football
High profile
It's man Utd

Cons
Relocation - children settled, KM settled
Recent managers go to Old trafford to fail
Manage a team of ego's
Poor owners
Ground and training ground in state of disrepair
Immediate Media pressure
Immediate fan expectations
Mixed Fan views
Unknown management structure
Big squad overhaul needed

Ipswich pros
Club being built with Kieron involved in its on and off pitch projects
squad moulded to his desires
Ownership group running club well
CEO leaves him to get on with his job
Settled
Potential to achieve legacies of previous historic managers
Time to test himself at the highest level
No prem expectations
Trust from everyone around him
Only 39, plenty of time to move to a bigger club

It's Man United, very few managers at any club would turn them down regardless of their circumstances. Many might not agree but I believe that to be the reality of the situation. It all really depends on whether they are really interested in him.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:12 - May 15 with 1099 viewsportmanking

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:03 - May 15 by itfcjoe

He isn't going to be here long enough to hunt Brighton down, their first 4 seasons in the PL saw them finish between 15th and 17th before finally getting themselves to the levels and putting 3 top 10 finishes in a row together.

They are just far ahead of us, we might not take 5 years to catch them, but we won't do it in 1-2 and like them we'll need different managers on that journey because no one will hang around for that whole time.

The best we can hope for sadly is KM staying next season and keeping us up, and that is where I'd be leaning to currently as most likely - but could easily go the other way.

The biggest worry we have this season is Roberto De Zerbi getting a job elsewhere and the Brighton vacancy being there

The issue with moving to a club like Brighton is that they're only 1-2 bad transfer windows (plus unfortunate injuries) away from being dragged into the bottom six scrap.

I know that's the case with most outside the top six or seven, but they're by no means invincible. They've done exceptionally well over the last 4-5 years but is the Prem their natural level? Who knows.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:17 - May 15 with 1064 viewsitfcjoe

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:12 - May 15 by portmanking

The issue with moving to a club like Brighton is that they're only 1-2 bad transfer windows (plus unfortunate injuries) away from being dragged into the bottom six scrap.

I know that's the case with most outside the top six or seven, but they're by no means invincible. They've done exceptionally well over the last 4-5 years but is the Prem their natural level? Who knows.

The PL is now their natural level, they've done as much as possible to make themselves bombproof in that regard and I'd say other than the 'big 6/7', it is Villa, West Ham and Brighton as the clubs who will be th 10 mainstays for the PL over the next decade or so.

Of course one of them can get dragged down, maybe like Leicester did the previous season, but they are a long way ahead of the teams finishing in 11th-17th this season and will stay there for a while.

They are basically at what is our clubs ceiling in the modern footballing landscape, I trust what we have behind the scenes etc to get us close to that, but it is a long journey to build that and one that KMc isn't going to see through as will need faster progression

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:19 - May 15 with 1031 viewsdirtyboy

We're lightyears away from most PL teams as we've only just been promoted.

That said.

We're not likely to be far behind if we're able to avoid relegation in 1 season.

So many teams make huge losses, so they're not exactly gaining ground financially, so much is spent on wages and fees, all that's happening is the playing squad is worth more.

We're now investing in a new training facility which will be PL standard probably by the end of the year. Won't be top 6, but will be comparable with many teams, certainly a nice place to be.

Wonder if the location gives us a health advantage lol!

United spent £20odd million on their medical facility! How's that worked out for them on the injury/health side?
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:27 - May 15 with 969 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:10 - May 15 by StokieBlue

It's Man United, very few managers at any club would turn them down regardless of their circumstances. Many might not agree but I believe that to be the reality of the situation. It all really depends on whether they are really interested in him.

SB

What's blue tinted in any of that SB?

On your point.. I already covered it by saying it's man utd.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:30 - May 15 with 939 viewsportmanking

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:17 - May 15 by itfcjoe

The PL is now their natural level, they've done as much as possible to make themselves bombproof in that regard and I'd say other than the 'big 6/7', it is Villa, West Ham and Brighton as the clubs who will be th 10 mainstays for the PL over the next decade or so.

Of course one of them can get dragged down, maybe like Leicester did the previous season, but they are a long way ahead of the teams finishing in 11th-17th this season and will stay there for a while.

They are basically at what is our clubs ceiling in the modern footballing landscape, I trust what we have behind the scenes etc to get us close to that, but it is a long journey to build that and one that KMc isn't going to see through as will need faster progression

It's worth noting Brighton could yet finish 13th this season.

I admire the work they've done, absolutely. But they're not immune from being dragged into the lower reaches again IMO. In some ways, the big 6 is now the big 8, as Tottenham and Villa have certainly moved into that realm of late.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:35 - May 15 with 890 viewspointofblue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:30 - May 15 by portmanking

I admire the work they've done, absolutely. But they're not immune from being dragged into the lower reaches again IMO. In some ways, the big 6 is now the big 8, as Tottenham and Villa have certainly moved into that realm of late.

For me, Villa could absolutely be drawn back into the pack. Emery has done a great job with them but they have over-achieved and I'd still count them a club amongst the 13 who could go down within the next few seasons.

Brighton has always been the one I've been most concerned about when it comes to McKenna, but I think it'd be more difficult for him to choose between us and them compared to United.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:36 - May 15 with 872 viewsStokieBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:27 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

What's blue tinted in any of that SB?

On your point.. I already covered it by saying it's man utd.

Well, for starters, you've not put any cons about staying at ITFC.

I think the pros/cons for Man United are somewhat laboured in many cases.

Just looks blue-tinted to me. I don't blame you, I don't want His Smarminess to leave either.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:39 - May 15 with 836 viewsnrb1985

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 00:35 - May 15 by Illinoisblue

United are a car crash right now. Be a massive risk for KM to walk into that shambles. On the other hand, if he turns them around he’s a legend forever.

as opposed to when he took over here and things were going great guns!
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:40 - May 15 with 830 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:35 - May 15 by Herbivore

You don't think the reasons to move from Ipswich to United outweigh the reasons not to? Take off the blue tinted specs, mate.

You didn't answer my question - do you know all his reasons? I certainly don't. I don't know what he's been offered here (not just in financial rewards, but facilities, plans for the future etc.) Or what his young family might want or think is best for them. Does he need to clamour for the first big job offered or does he realise he's young and there's plenty of time for all that? Is Man U too much of a basket case where managers go to die right now?

There's probably loads more we don't even know about. But to just say he'll definitely go and that's that is disrespectful to the bloke. I was offered a job in Dubai that was better money, better lifestyle, all the perks. I didn't want to go and live in Dubai though. As with most things in life, it isn't black and white.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:42 - May 15 with 808 viewsitfcjoe

It's been their first year of having to manage European football alongside the PL and they'll be 20 points clear of relegation zone so whilst it may see them drop down a couple of places it's not really making much difference in grand scheme of things.

No-one is immune, but they are so much further away from it than all bar the clubs mentioned and find it hard to see how it realistically happens bar a disastrous managerial appointment and newly promoted clubs over achieving massively

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:44 - May 15 with 772 viewstractorboy1978

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:17 - May 15 by itfcjoe

PL is their level now and they are a really well run club but I'd disagree with them being top 10 main stays. They've been really well coached over a number of years and done exceptionally well in the transfer market, but their squad right now looks a bit of a shell of where it has been in the past couple of seasons.

I wouldn't say they are a long way ahead of the likes of Palace, Bournemouth, Wolves, Fulham, Everton personally. And the league table bears that out (pre Everton points deduction).
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:45 - May 15 with 755 viewsEuropablue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:48 - May 15 by wkj

People often state KM isn't ready for Man United, but lets face it - no one has been ready for Man United since Ferguson left the club. I think KM has as good a chance as any of landing the spot as a new majority shareholder could roll the dice in a similar way as we did when hiring an unproved manager.

That said, I don't think it would be wise for Man United to do it this season. There is a toxic culture at the club and the chairman needs someone to come in for a season and identify the assets and bad eggs to the majority shareholder. Have a clear out, start the rebuild, then hire McKenna or someone who is a good coach and people person.

Who would be the ideal 1 year transitional manager? Ancelotti in my opinion. He's probably the perfect demolition man for that team but would likely not be the coach they need to rebuild the legacy of the club.
[Post edited 15 May 9:49]

We should start worrying if Utd. appoint Cook to be KM's demolition man!
Nah on 11:46 - May 15 with 744 viewsDyland

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:44 - May 15 by footers

The Funday Times?

The Faturday Times these days.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:50 - May 15 with 714 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:07 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Pro's
Pay Rise
Big club
Potential Euro football
High profile
It's man Utd

Cons
Relocation - children settled, KM settled
Recent managers go to Old trafford to fail
Manage a team of ego's
Poor owners
Ground and training ground in state of disrepair
Immediate Media pressure
Immediate fan expectations
Mixed Fan views
Unknown management structure
Big squad overhaul needed

Ipswich pros
Club being built with Kieron involved in its on and off pitch projects
squad moulded to his desires
Ownership group running club well
CEO leaves him to get on with his job
Settled
Potential to achieve legacies of previous historic managers
Time to test himself at the highest level
No prem expectations
Trust from everyone around him
Only 39, plenty of time to move to a bigger club

Jesus wept.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:51 - May 15 with 713 viewsBluedandy

This KM to Brighton deviation is bizarre.

Tony Bloom has performed miracles at the club, worthy of gigantic admiration, but they are currently on the same number of points as Bournemouth.

Should we now fret that KM will be off to the Cherries before August if their manager is headhunted?

Backed by gambling tycoons with far more wealth than Bloom, Stoke spent a decade in the top flight and are now floundering back in the Championship.

Fortunes can change quickly after one or two poor transfer windows, and yes it might all go horribly wrong next season for us, but maybe KM backs himself to succeed with Town in the PL.

Consecutive promotions, record attendances, world famous sponsor, hugely ambitious owners and investors who have just pumped £105 million into the club with Playford Road about to be transformed, these are unprecedented times at a club that is historically much bigger than Brighton.

Now Man Utd potentially poses a serious threat for the services of KM but the Seagulls, no chance.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:52 - May 15 with 691 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:36 - May 15 by StokieBlue

Well, for starters, you've not put any cons about staying at ITFC.

I think the pros/cons for Man United are somewhat laboured in many cases.

Just looks blue-tinted to me. I don't blame you, I don't want His Smarminess to leave either.

SB

TBH, for a 39 year old, promoting a club twice in 2 seasons, about the start a career as a prem manager with the same side he's achieve it with... I don't see a specific con to staying at town..

You could say getting relegated could be the potential con, but then he could leave, finish midtable and be seen as failed as much as being relegated would. although being relegated is more of a potential expectation and acceptable really.

I don't think it's blue tinted tbh, it's more being open to the comparables of the two managerial positions.

Quite frankly, to take the UTD job to me is more BECAUSE it's man utd over anything else. Would I blame him? no, you might only get the chance once. BUT if you're comparing the two situations, then yes there are more potential cons for leaving.

Waka waka eh eh

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:53 - May 15 with 678 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:50 - May 15 by Herbivore

Jesus wept.

Care to share what you don't agree with?

Waka waka eh eh

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:56 - May 15 with 660 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:50 - May 15 by Herbivore

Jesus wept.

Perfectly reasonable points, but it's easier to dismiss dear old Frimmers with a withering put-down than address them.

I can't see anything majorly wrong with his list.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:56 - May 15 with 659 viewsfooters

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:52 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

TBH, for a 39 year old, promoting a club twice in 2 seasons, about the start a career as a prem manager with the same side he's achieve it with... I don't see a specific con to staying at town..

You could say getting relegated could be the potential con, but then he could leave, finish midtable and be seen as failed as much as being relegated would. although being relegated is more of a potential expectation and acceptable really.

I don't think it's blue tinted tbh, it's more being open to the comparables of the two managerial positions.

Quite frankly, to take the UTD job to me is more BECAUSE it's man utd over anything else. Would I blame him? no, you might only get the chance once. BUT if you're comparing the two situations, then yes there are more potential cons for leaving.

You make a big thing about him being settled here.

Where do you think he was living before?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:56 - May 15 with 656 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:40 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

You didn't answer my question - do you know all his reasons? I certainly don't. I don't know what he's been offered here (not just in financial rewards, but facilities, plans for the future etc.) Or what his young family might want or think is best for them. Does he need to clamour for the first big job offered or does he realise he's young and there's plenty of time for all that? Is Man U too much of a basket case where managers go to die right now?

There's probably loads more we don't even know about. But to just say he'll definitely go and that's that is disrespectful to the bloke. I was offered a job in Dubai that was better money, better lifestyle, all the perks. I didn't want to go and live in Dubai though. As with most things in life, it isn't black and white.

I'm guessing you hadn't previously spent years working in Dubai, loved it working in Dubai, and you're not a lifelong fan of Dubai. It's also not really a good comparison, no offence, but what you do for a living is a million miles away from the world of professional football. McKenna is ambitious and he's not going to turn down the opportunity to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world if and when that opportunity presents itself.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:57 - May 15 with 648 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:10 - May 15 by StokieBlue

SB

You're usually much better at debating than this.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:57 - May 15 with 644 viewsyorkshireblue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:35 - May 15 by tractorboy1978

We are desperate to keep him though! When he signed that new deal he was being linked with Leicester, not Brighton or Manchester United. No idea what the terms of their contracts are but the salary/bonuses will need to be comparable with the going rate for a mid-tier PL manager. There was also talk of a £4m release which is absolute chicken feed in the context of the clubs he is now being linked with. We would want to protect ourselves on that front too.

"There was also talk of a £4m release which is absolute chicken feed in the context of the clubs he is now being linked with."

Would literally be in the top 12 buy-outs for a manager that has ever been, globally.
Come on for goodness sake on 11:58 - May 15 with 635 viewsDyland

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:12 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

How do you know what his dream job is?

It's an educated guess, what with him being a lifelong ManU fan and a football manager :)

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:58 - May 15 with 631 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:56 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Perfectly reasonable points, but it's easier to dismiss dear old Frimmers with a withering put-down than address them.

I can't see anything majorly wrong with his list.

Of course you can't, dear.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024