Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashton Interview 10:02 - May 16 with 6044 viewsPaul

https://www.itfc.co.uk/videos/8e864569-3028-4898-a567-6324835c158d
Ashton Interview on 12:04 - May 16 with 1548 viewsGuthrum

Ashton Interview on 11:14 - May 16 by Bossy

Like I said, we don't know for sure as we've not bugged McKenna or Old Trafford.

But just look at the facts of the situation. Man Utd are very likely to want to change manager and set the club up with a long-term plan. That's either going to be some big name top level manager, which every big club that's looking at the moment are struggling to identify or it's going to have to be a promising manager that is from a smaller club.

McKenna isn't just some other manager to them. He has deep Man Utd links and has shown in no time at all that he is a top level manager in the making.

"Determined to keep hold of him" is an admission that they recognise the links to other clubs.

That McKenna should be among those under consideration is entirely logical, yes. But it's a fair leap from there to being clear that formal talks have taken place with both clubs and we're just waiting upon ManU's decision, which was the tenor of your post.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ashton Interview on 12:18 - May 16 with 1471 viewsKeno

Ashton Interview on 12:04 - May 16 by Guthrum

That McKenna should be among those under consideration is entirely logical, yes. But it's a fair leap from there to being clear that formal talks have taken place with both clubs and we're just waiting upon ManU's decision, which was the tenor of your post.

I can imagine a conversation along the lines of

Ratcliffe - Hi Kieran would you like to be our manager

Kieran - hahahhahahaha

Ratcliffe - no Im serious would you like to be our manager

Kieran - feck no, you're in a right mess and frankly I love at Ipswich. I know when I'm onto a good thing. Tell you what tho let this leak cos it drive some of the eejits on TWTD mad!!

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Ashton Interview on 12:23 - May 16 with 1434 viewsGuthrum

Ashton Interview on 11:47 - May 16 by SitfcB

I don’t get that at all, I know it’s a bit corporate with the process stuff etc but it’s something he truly believes in so always emphasises it.

The bit at the end talking about the Coventry game is basically all of us and how we felt, I think it’s brilliant to have someone in his position, and as an ‘outsider’, to be as passionate as we all are about the club.

I think there's an element of us (and perhaps BristolC fans before) not being used to this highly professionalised, corporate approach to running a modern football club.

We who have been through lower divisions are more familiar with "I'll take a point before getting on the bus" and "we go again" style rhetoric. At best Barry Fry pronouncements. Chief Execs making little or no public noise, or, at most, platitudes.

It gets under people's skin because it's new and a little uncomfortable.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ashton Interview on 12:25 - May 16 with 1416 viewsColin_Viljoen

Frank has spoken to "The Mole" & McKenna is number 3 on the Man U list.
Ashton Interview on 12:49 - May 16 with 1292 viewsgringoblue

Ashton Interview on 11:57 - May 16 by _clive_baker_

Wonder what the Mark Ashton drinking game rules would be?

Process : Swig of beer
Community : Half pint
Football Club : 1 Shot
Lets be really clear : 1 pint

I'd last 5 minutes max.

Relentless : Relentless Energy Drink
Ashton Interview on 12:50 - May 16 with 1294 viewsChurchman

Ashton Interview on 11:26 - May 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think Ashton does his job well. But I cant watch his interviews anymore. His corporate / David Brent style just grates on me.

Keep up the good work though.

Yes, he’s very much in the Brentesque bullsh£t bingo category. I’ve worked with people like that in the past. One particular bloke talked in ‘corporate speak’ constantly. Almost every word. The humans had to stifle the laughter and nausea in equal measure. But in the other side of it, he was excellent at his job.

Never liked ‘corporate speak’ any more than I like mission statements. Bit cringy for me. But when all is said and done, is Ashton a good CEO? Three years says yes. He’s made mistakes, got it wrong and I now hate the word ‘process’ (sadly a word I’ve used a lot in the past - I must punch myself in the face) but has achieved so much, as have the owners, staff, team.

I don’t want to know the bloke, but I am interested in what he has to say. I just filter out the b bingo language. Well done to him and for keeping his word on the tattoo.
Ashton Interview on 12:53 - May 16 with 1270 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Ashton Interview on 12:23 - May 16 by Guthrum

I think there's an element of us (and perhaps BristolC fans before) not being used to this highly professionalised, corporate approach to running a modern football club.

We who have been through lower divisions are more familiar with "I'll take a point before getting on the bus" and "we go again" style rhetoric. At best Barry Fry pronouncements. Chief Execs making little or no public noise, or, at most, platitudes.

It gets under people's skin because it's new and a little uncomfortable.

Not in my case.

I like the way he runs the club, I just don't like his corporate delivery when interviewed. Its not personal to MA, I don't like any corporate jargon.

You can be successful and professional without being so corporate when talking.

I'm not asking for him to change, I'm just saying I dont watch his vids anymore.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Ashton Interview on 12:53 - May 16 with 1271 viewsnodge_blue

Ashton Interview on 12:25 - May 16 by Colin_Viljoen

Frank has spoken to "The Mole" & McKenna is number 3 on the Man U list.

I saw that. Like Man U would publicly talk / let out their list of candidates and their current ranking on that list.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashton Interview on 12:53 - May 16 with 1266 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ashton Interview on 11:14 - May 16 by Bossy

Like I said, we don't know for sure as we've not bugged McKenna or Old Trafford.

But just look at the facts of the situation. Man Utd are very likely to want to change manager and set the club up with a long-term plan. That's either going to be some big name top level manager, which every big club that's looking at the moment are struggling to identify or it's going to have to be a promising manager that is from a smaller club.

McKenna isn't just some other manager to them. He has deep Man Utd links and has shown in no time at all that he is a top level manager in the making.

"Determined to keep hold of him" is an admission that they recognise the links to other clubs.

"look at the facts of the situation... very likely... either... or..."

None of these are facts.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Ashton Interview on 12:54 - May 16 with 1262 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Ashton Interview on 12:50 - May 16 by Churchman

Yes, he’s very much in the Brentesque bullsh£t bingo category. I’ve worked with people like that in the past. One particular bloke talked in ‘corporate speak’ constantly. Almost every word. The humans had to stifle the laughter and nausea in equal measure. But in the other side of it, he was excellent at his job.

Never liked ‘corporate speak’ any more than I like mission statements. Bit cringy for me. But when all is said and done, is Ashton a good CEO? Three years says yes. He’s made mistakes, got it wrong and I now hate the word ‘process’ (sadly a word I’ve used a lot in the past - I must punch myself in the face) but has achieved so much, as have the owners, staff, team.

I don’t want to know the bloke, but I am interested in what he has to say. I just filter out the b bingo language. Well done to him and for keeping his word on the tattoo.

Looks like we agree.

You just have a better filter than I do! Ha.

As I said before, I rate him as a CEO and I rate the job he has done.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Count me in.... on 13:03 - May 16 with 1199 viewsBloots

Ashton Interview on 12:54 - May 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Looks like we agree.

You just have a better filter than I do! Ha.

As I said before, I rate him as a CEO and I rate the job he has done.

....he talks like every single middle/senior manager I've come across in my life.

Terrible cliches, all taken from the "Idiot's Guide to Management - By David Brent".

Doing a decent job at the moment, but it's not without mistakes, although these have been largely ignored due to our performances on the pitch.

I'm happy to put up with him at the moment.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Count me in.... on 13:18 - May 16 with 1117 viewsSheffordBlue

Count me in.... on 13:03 - May 16 by Bloots

....he talks like every single middle/senior manager I've come across in my life.

Terrible cliches, all taken from the "Idiot's Guide to Management - By David Brent".

Doing a decent job at the moment, but it's not without mistakes, although these have been largely ignored due to our performances on the pitch.

I'm happy to put up with him at the moment.

I think most professions tend to develop their own phraseology that then comes out in general talk. E.g McKenna uses a lot of 'coach speak' and the increased use of technical coaching terms in press conferences by lots of managers has drawn the ire of some of the old and bold ex-player pundits.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Ashton Interview on 13:21 - May 16 with 1103 viewsBattersea_Blue

Ashton Interview on 11:19 - May 16 by Bossy

I'm not saying they are going to hire him. I'm saying I think it's very likely that he's had discussions with Man Utd, along with other candidates. Whether they go for him is another question, which we won't have the answer to until the FA Cup final. Then McKenna will either suddenly be a lot more visible to us again, or he'll be announced as the next Man Utd manager.

The naivety on this forum is something to behold.

The naivety is yours.

Kieran is one of the most moral and ethical people I’ve ever come across.

For him to have spoken to Man U, they would have contacted ITFC first, to get permission. That obviously hasn’t happened as no doubt that would be out there if it had.

I have no doubt IF Man U want to talk to him, they will contact Ashton, as we did when it was vice versa.
Ashton Interview on 13:29 - May 16 with 1068 viewsArmaghBlue

Seems to be a lot of negativity in this thread from people who usually tell people off for being negative.
Ashton Interview on 14:03 - May 16 with 987 viewsitfcjoe

Ashton Interview on 11:47 - May 16 by SitfcB

I don’t get that at all, I know it’s a bit corporate with the process stuff etc but it’s something he truly believes in so always emphasises it.

The bit at the end talking about the Coventry game is basically all of us and how we felt, I think it’s brilliant to have someone in his position, and as an ‘outsider’, to be as passionate as we all are about the club.

He's doing a fantastic job, and I'm delighted he is our CEO and hope is for a long time - he's been the perfect appointment for what we need and his being 'relentless' was so required here.

But to listen to it at times gets me away from what I enjoy with football, it's a reminder of why I left the corporate world - but that's not to say it isn't right in that environment and it's clearly working with the staff from top to bottom of the club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashton Interview on 14:26 - May 16 with 908 viewsBossy

Ashton Interview on 13:21 - May 16 by Battersea_Blue

The naivety is yours.

Kieran is one of the most moral and ethical people I’ve ever come across.

For him to have spoken to Man U, they would have contacted ITFC first, to get permission. That obviously hasn’t happened as no doubt that would be out there if it had.

I have no doubt IF Man U want to talk to him, they will contact Ashton, as we did when it was vice versa.

"For him to have spoken to Man U, they would have contacted ITFC first, to get permission. That obviously hasn’t happened as no doubt that would be out there if it had."

Oh, in that case, no problem right? ITFC just say no and then that's the end of it. He's locked in to work with us until his contract ends. Easy.

Even if this fairytale was true, do you think Ashton and Co would just go "no, you're staying here, that's the end of it"? That is not what our success has been built on.

Poll: Should there be stickied threads for hot topics (e.g. matchday/McKenna rumours)?

Ashton Interview on 14:30 - May 16 with 898 viewsBluedandy

The achievements of the owners, driven by Ashton, are miraculous.

Corporate cliches over Shakespearean soliloquies are a very small price to pay.

I doubt even Jeff Bezos has a tattoo of Amazon logo on his arm or arse, but happy to be corrected.
Ashton Interview on 14:39 - May 16 with 844 viewsBattersea_Blue

Ashton Interview on 14:26 - May 16 by Bossy

"For him to have spoken to Man U, they would have contacted ITFC first, to get permission. That obviously hasn’t happened as no doubt that would be out there if it had."

Oh, in that case, no problem right? ITFC just say no and then that's the end of it. He's locked in to work with us until his contract ends. Easy.

Even if this fairytale was true, do you think Ashton and Co would just go "no, you're staying here, that's the end of it"? That is not what our success has been built on.

No, that’s not what I’ve said, is it?

You said it was likely discussions have already taken place and were condescending, accusing posters of being naive.

I disagree, they would have asked permission first.

Any outcome of any request for permission to talk to him is your supposition.

So you’re saying our success has been achieved by being unethical?
Ashton Interview on 15:03 - May 16 with 766 viewsScuzzer

Ashton Interview on 13:29 - May 16 by ArmaghBlue

Seems to be a lot of negativity in this thread from people who usually tell people off for being negative.

Seems that some people just have to find the smallest of things to moan about. Sad really.

Established 1968

Ashton Interview on 15:07 - May 16 with 742 viewsVic

Ashton Interview on 10:38 - May 16 by Bossy

It's as clear as day that McKenna has had talks with Man Utd and himself and Ashton have talked about it.

I think in all likelihood they are waiting to see what Man Utd decide, which will prob be after the FA Cup final.

Care to elaborate?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Ashton Interview on 15:18 - May 16 with 719 viewsBossy

Ashton Interview on 14:39 - May 16 by Battersea_Blue

No, that’s not what I’ve said, is it?

You said it was likely discussions have already taken place and were condescending, accusing posters of being naive.

I disagree, they would have asked permission first.

Any outcome of any request for permission to talk to him is your supposition.

So you’re saying our success has been achieved by being unethical?

It is what you said, I quoted you directly and completely.

You're saying that any discussions that have taken place would have required permission first, suggesting that no discussions have taken place BECAUSE we wouldn't have given permission.

I'm just saying I think it's very likely that there is a shortlist of managers that Man Utd are speaking to, one of which is McKenna.

I don't think it's unnecessarily unethical to speak to a manager after a season has finished about what they think about leaving their current club and joining a new one. It happens all the time. What Crystal Palace did in tapping him up before the season was over is unfair however.

I think Ashton and McKenna appear to have a good relationship built upon honest and open dialogue.

Poll: Should there be stickied threads for hot topics (e.g. matchday/McKenna rumours)?

Ashton Interview on 15:23 - May 16 with 693 viewsBattersea_Blue

Ashton Interview on 15:18 - May 16 by Bossy

It is what you said, I quoted you directly and completely.

You're saying that any discussions that have taken place would have required permission first, suggesting that no discussions have taken place BECAUSE we wouldn't have given permission.

I'm just saying I think it's very likely that there is a shortlist of managers that Man Utd are speaking to, one of which is McKenna.

I don't think it's unnecessarily unethical to speak to a manager after a season has finished about what they think about leaving their current club and joining a new one. It happens all the time. What Crystal Palace did in tapping him up before the season was over is unfair however.

I think Ashton and McKenna appear to have a good relationship built upon honest and open dialogue.

You’re misreading mate . .

I’m saying no talks have taken place because they haven’t yet asked permission, not that we said no.

Yes, I’ve said in another thread that McK and Ashton have a great relationship and would hope they’ve already had a full discussion about this speculation.
Ashton Interview on 15:27 - May 16 with 685 viewsVic

I’m not the biggest fan of MA’s corporate speak, but have reluctantly come to accept that it’s just part of what he is and not some sort of put on cover act.

The guy seems genuinely sincere and committed to what’s going on here. I doubt he was ever as effusive about the Brizzle fan base. The whole set up here - owners, manager, CEO seems so unified I think we just have to continue to enjoy the ride.

I actually found the room becoming a bit dusty again watching that. So proud of our club at he moment. Long may it continue.

Ashton Interview on 15:29 - May 16 with 665 viewsBossy

Ashton Interview on 15:23 - May 16 by Battersea_Blue

You’re misreading mate . .

I’m saying no talks have taken place because they haven’t yet asked permission, not that we said no.

Yes, I’ve said in another thread that McK and Ashton have a great relationship and would hope they’ve already had a full discussion about this speculation.

How do you know they haven't yet asked permission?

I don't get it.

Or even if they have to?

As far as I'm aware managers are not tied to the same anti-tapping up laws that players are.

Ashton Interview on 15:57 - May 16 with 594 viewsVic

Ashton Interview on 10:38 - May 16 by Bossy

It's as clear as day that McKenna has had talks with Man Utd and himself and Ashton have talked about it.

I think in all likelihood they are waiting to see what Man Utd decide, which will prob be after the FA Cup final.

Although this thread has gone a little off track this quote from MA in Ames Guarniad article might help us all breathe a little more easily “he’s never given me any indication that he wants to do anything other than be as successful as he can here. I see him continuing his development to be a top, top manager, and I foresee that being here.”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024