Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, 13:15 - Feb 1 with 563 viewsRyorry

It was a very different club - the era of the Jolly Cobbolds, then David Sheepshanks. For all the problems of the latter, all of them had one thing in common - they love the club, had its best interests at heart, and did what they thought right for it - they didn't put their personal business interests first. The Cobbolds were general philanthropists of course, donating Christchurch Park to the citizens of Ipswich etc. They had pride in the area, the club, its values - and we bought into and shared that. That's unlikely to ever happen again in ITFC ownership.

It's sad, but we shouldn't be surprised that things have fundamentally altered with the change of ownership to ME - the 146th wealthiest person in the UK, with assets of £765m, a business empire but no previous interest in or experience of football.

We are now following a club owned by someone who puts his business interests first, who has little interest in or care for the area (his companies are registered in Bermuda, he is a tax exile but has 2 or 3 UK properties in London and Cornwall), never mind any care for ITFC or its fans. He doesn't even show his face in public, never mind communicate with us. Compare this with Sheepy, who for all his faults, I remember climbing high into the stands to meet us fans and shake our hands one winter night midweek, away at Newcastle.

ITFC really is no longer the same club as it was pre 2009. I'm saying this because my impression from reading so many posts last night from those who've been ITFC fans for 25+ years but who now feel, in effect, like a divorce, is that they feel pangs of guilt for doing so. I don't think they should - imho it's sad, but perfectly understandable, that so many of us oldies have become disenchanted and are falling out of love with the club that ITFC has become. How can we have pride in it as we did during the Cobbold/Sheepy era, when the current owner and Board don't show any such pride themselves? You've only to look at the shabbiness of the ground, as already frequently commented on by other posters, quite apart from the shambles on the actual footballing side .

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 13:19 - Feb 1 with 542 viewsitfcjoe

It's unfair to compare.

Whilst Sheepshanks and the Cobbolds loved the club they never really put much money in; whereas even though Evans apparently doesn't he has sunk over £50m off his own fortune in.

Evans has given ITFC more than any person in it's history and had no return - he doesn't appear to be the right owner - and no longer wants to fund us at a level required to compete in this league.......but he has put his money where his mouth is and Sheepy or the Cobbolds would never have been in a position to, or willing to do so.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 13:29 - Feb 1 with 507 viewsRyorry

When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 13:19 - Feb 1 by itfcjoe

It's unfair to compare.

Whilst Sheepshanks and the Cobbolds loved the club they never really put much money in; whereas even though Evans apparently doesn't he has sunk over £50m off his own fortune in.

Evans has given ITFC more than any person in it's history and had no return - he doesn't appear to be the right owner - and no longer wants to fund us at a level required to compete in this league.......but he has put his money where his mouth is and Sheepy or the Cobbolds would never have been in a position to, or willing to do so.

Of course football's a very different era now & ME has sunk a lot of ££ in - but how much does cleaning the statues cost - a few hundred?! Or organising catering so that on a freezing night some of the 10-14K crowd don't have to be told that lids for the hot drink cups have run out?! It's not all down to money - ME's had years to put things like that right but hasn't done so - indicates he simply doesn't care.

When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 13:30 - Feb 1 with 503 viewsoldbluestu

I don't understand what's the point of 'the 146th wealthiest person in the UK, with assets of £765m'?
What you're really saying is ME is so wealthy he should be spending £50m every year on players and the fans deserve better

Also if Burley/Sheepshanks had avoided fecking it up with spending too much and relegation this mess wouldn't be here now
When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 13:34 - Feb 1 with 483 viewshype313

Think most fans have lost that love for their club over the years due to Money taking over the game. If you look at United they had a scarf movement as they were so disenfranchised with the owners, City fans talk more about the play off win against Gillingham than they do about the PL title, Arsenal fans cannot stand their Owners, Liverpool with Hicks and Gillet, Blackpool, Forest, Cardiff, Villa, Swansea I could go on.

People want local feel of ownership, understandably so, but also the millions that come with wealthy people, you can't have both.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 13:35 - Feb 1 with 470 viewsRyorry

When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 13:30 - Feb 1 by oldbluestu

I don't understand what's the point of 'the 146th wealthiest person in the UK, with assets of £765m'?
What you're really saying is ME is so wealthy he should be spending £50m every year on players and the fans deserve better

Also if Burley/Sheepshanks had avoided fecking it up with spending too much and relegation this mess wouldn't be here now

No, I wasn't "really saying" that at all.

When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 14:29 - Feb 1 with 382 viewsNo9

When I (& numerous others, from posts last night) first started following ITFC, on 13:30 - Feb 1 by oldbluestu

& Burley's part? Did he sanction butldign the stand which deprived Town of supporters?
Did Burley sign the chrques ?

Why do you think Sheepshanks put Burley on an NDA?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024