Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump 18:09 - Feb 7 with 2440 viewsGlasgowBlue

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/07/syrian-regime-hanged-13000-people-mas

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:12 - Feb 7 with 2081 viewsDanTheMan

I hear it's impossible to be anti-Trump and anti-Assad at the same time.

Literally impossible.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:13 - Feb 7 with 2057 viewsbournemouthblue

Syrian regime are apalling shocker

If we'd have bombed them out of power, ISIS would be in charge. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:14 - Feb 7 with 2068 viewsGlasgowBlue

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:12 - Feb 7 by DanTheMan

I hear it's impossible to be anti-Trump and anti-Assad at the same time.

Literally impossible.

How many people are talking about Trump on here? Howe many peoples are talking about the situation in Syria?

Iron Lion Zion

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:16 - Feb 7 with 2050 viewsThePitBoss

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:14 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

How many people are talking about Trump on here? Howe many peoples are talking about the situation in Syria?

No enough orange.
Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:16 - Feb 7 with 2052 viewsDanTheMan

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:14 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Lots of people.

Not many.

Some say the two aren't related.

I see Amnesty International actually has a few sections dedicated to the refugee ban, you should email them and tell them they're talking about the wrong thing.

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:21 - Feb 7 with 2011 viewsGlasgowBlue

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:16 - Feb 7 by DanTheMan

Lots of people.

Not many.

Some say the two aren't related.

I see Amnesty International actually has a few sections dedicated to the refugee ban, you should email them and tell them they're talking about the wrong thing.

Trump's refugee ban is appalling. But Amnesty are able to discuss more than one topic.

This place is obsessed with Trump whilst ignoring the suffering of millions in Syria.

If you have time look back on how many threads there have been on Trump since September and how many threads there have been on the situation in Syria.

Iron Lion Zion

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:31 - Feb 7 with 1987 viewsDanTheMan

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:21 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Trump's refugee ban is appalling. But Amnesty are able to discuss more than one topic.

This place is obsessed with Trump whilst ignoring the suffering of millions in Syria.

If you have time look back on how many threads there have been on Trump since September and how many threads there have been on the situation in Syria.

Because Trump has been in office and doing things that have been in the news now for the past week or so. It's basically be an on going rolling news story. It's like this because nobody is used to an American president acting in this way. That's why people talk about it.

It does not mean that people are not concerned about Syrians. People tend to discuss what is most shocking and relevant to them. As unfortunate as it is, people dying in Syria at the hands of someone we already know is not a very nice person is not actually that shocking to people, hence it doesn't get discussed. Other than saying "that's terrible" there isn't a lot to say.

Whereas Trump divides opinion pretty damn heavily which is another reason why it gets discussed.

I also see you haven't talked about the bombing in Kabul, this must mean that it is because you are ignoring the suffering of Afghanis.... yes this is a ridiculous thing to say. But it's literally the same reason people aren't discussing it. It's a part of the world where atrocities are happening on a near daily basis.

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this other than it's silly to try and make people bad about criticising Trump because they haven't also criticised this other unrelated thing.

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:37 - Feb 7 with 1944 viewsbournemouthblue

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:21 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed, we must be so proud that our government is taking so few Syrian refugees?

It was rather embarrassing for Theresa to visit Turkey and compare the amount they have taken in comparison to ourselves, the 6th richest country in the World?

Login to get fewer ads

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:42 - Feb 7 with 1922 viewsPlums

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:37 - Feb 7 by bournemouthblue

Indeed, we must be so proud that our government is taking so few Syrian refugees?

It was rather embarrassing for Theresa to visit Turkey and compare the amount they have taken in comparison to ourselves, the 6th richest country in the World?

Totally agree but nowhere near as embarrassed as Russia should be for exacerbating the situation significantly whilst refusing to take them.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:50 - Feb 7 with 1897 viewsBluesquid

Amnesty International?

Didn't they corroborate the false Nayirah testimony regarding Iraqi soldiers taking babies out of incubators in a Kuwaiti hospital?

Yes indeedy!

Fool me once...
Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:08 - Feb 7 with 1839 viewsIllinoisblue

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:31 - Feb 7 by DanTheMan

Because Trump has been in office and doing things that have been in the news now for the past week or so. It's basically be an on going rolling news story. It's like this because nobody is used to an American president acting in this way. That's why people talk about it.

It does not mean that people are not concerned about Syrians. People tend to discuss what is most shocking and relevant to them. As unfortunate as it is, people dying in Syria at the hands of someone we already know is not a very nice person is not actually that shocking to people, hence it doesn't get discussed. Other than saying "that's terrible" there isn't a lot to say.

Whereas Trump divides opinion pretty damn heavily which is another reason why it gets discussed.

I also see you haven't talked about the bombing in Kabul, this must mean that it is because you are ignoring the suffering of Afghanis.... yes this is a ridiculous thing to say. But it's literally the same reason people aren't discussing it. It's a part of the world where atrocities are happening on a near daily basis.

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this other than it's silly to try and make people bad about criticising Trump because they haven't also criticised this other unrelated thing.

surely you're taking an overly literal stance on Glasser's original post.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:10 - Feb 7 with 1832 viewsGuthrum

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:13 - Feb 7 by bournemouthblue

Syrian regime are apalling shocker

If we'd have bombed them out of power, ISIS would be in charge. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't?

I doubt that would have happened. The extended civil war gave IS the space to exploit. If it had ended sooner, in the autumn of 2013, the issue may well not have had time to develop the way it did (IS was only just splitting from al-Qaeda/al-Nusra and establishing itself at that point).

Not that the Russians would have been any keener to let Assad be 'bombed ... out of power' back then, but their attention at the time was becoming concentrated on the developing situation in Ukraine, not Syria.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:14 - Feb 7 with 1821 viewsGlasgowBlue

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:10 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

I doubt that would have happened. The extended civil war gave IS the space to exploit. If it had ended sooner, in the autumn of 2013, the issue may well not have had time to develop the way it did (IS was only just splitting from al-Qaeda/al-Nusra and establishing itself at that point).

Not that the Russians would have been any keener to let Assad be 'bombed ... out of power' back then, but their attention at the time was becoming concentrated on the developing situation in Ukraine, not Syria.

I can't see Bournemouth's post but what you have said is spot on. We abandoned the Syrians in 2013 and IS filled that vacuum.

Iron Lion Zion

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:18 - Feb 7 with 1795 viewsbournemouthblue

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 18:42 - Feb 7 by Plums

Totally agree but nowhere near as embarrassed as Russia should be for exacerbating the situation significantly whilst refusing to take them.

Russia maybe worse, that dosent justify our approach

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:22 - Feb 7 with 1800 viewsEireannach_gorm

Meanwhile Russia invades Ukraine to access the Crimea which they previously took over.

Threatens Belerus.
http://belsat.eu/en/news/snap-drills-or-show-of-power-belarus-calling-out-reserv

Eyes up the Baltic states.
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/putins-dangerous-games-in-the-baltic/

.................................... and most dastardly of all.
https://charter97.org/en/news/2017/2/7/240133/
Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:40 - Feb 7 with 1768 viewsGuthrum

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:22 - Feb 7 by Eireannach_gorm

Meanwhile Russia invades Ukraine to access the Crimea which they previously took over.

Threatens Belerus.
http://belsat.eu/en/news/snap-drills-or-show-of-power-belarus-calling-out-reserv

Eyes up the Baltic states.
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/putins-dangerous-games-in-the-baltic/

.................................... and most dastardly of all.
https://charter97.org/en/news/2017/2/7/240133/

Belarus is one of Russia's firmest allies (and a useful buffer with Poland). Unlikely they'd invade.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:53 - Feb 7 with 1744 viewsBluesquid

[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 19:54]
Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 20:17 - Feb 7 with 1676 viewsSteve_M

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 19:40 - Feb 7 by Guthrum

Belarus is one of Russia's firmest allies (and a useful buffer with Poland). Unlikely they'd invade.

Lukashenka cancelled plans for a Russian airbase recently and border controls have been reintroduced, at least on the Russian side. One to watch anyway.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 20:23 - Feb 7 with 1669 viewsSteve_M

I know it's been said but it really would have been possible for you to post about Syria without trying to point-score about it.

The Assad regime's systematic slaughter of almost any opposition over the last six years is clear crime against humanity and the situation in Syria is seemingly too complicated to gain much mainstream media attention in this country. In fact the only people Assad doesn't seem to be trying to kill are IS in a clear attempt to leave a binary choice between him and them.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 20:29 - Feb 7 with 1635 viewsGeoffSentence

Syria has been dragging on for years more or less in the same vein, and has been discussed until the cows come home. Trump has in power for a just a few weeks and is making some important and confidential changes. He has novelty value.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 20:32 - Feb 7 with 1631 viewsbournemouthblue

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 20:23 - Feb 7 by Steve_M

I know it's been said but it really would have been possible for you to post about Syria without trying to point-score about it.

The Assad regime's systematic slaughter of almost any opposition over the last six years is clear crime against humanity and the situation in Syria is seemingly too complicated to gain much mainstream media attention in this country. In fact the only people Assad doesn't seem to be trying to kill are IS in a clear attempt to leave a binary choice between him and them.

just to clear things up for the West who love binary choices

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 20:32 - Feb 7 with 1631 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://libcom.org/library/spectacular-times-14-bigger-cages-longer-chains

If you open the link to this zine from the 80's and go to pages 17 onwards it gives a pretty good analysis of the nonsense that is single issue politics. The whole collection has got more relevant since they were published.
The "Society of the Spectacle" is the notion that we are so busy observing/consuming life that we forget to actually live/experience it !....this was before virtual reality !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 20:55 - Feb 7 with 1600 viewseireblue

virtue signalling

noun

the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Oh, I get it now....
Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 21:35 - Feb 7 with 1544 viewsNo9

Syria is something the UN should have done something about a long time ago & all members of the UN should seriously look in the mirror at what they could have done.

The UN will do nothing about Trump

The situations are incomparable
Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 07:46 - Feb 8 with 1364 viewsGlasgowBlue

Meanwhile, whilst people are getting in a lather over Trump on 20:55 - Feb 7 by eireblue

virtue signalling

noun

the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Oh, I get it now....

So what you are saying is that I am only highlighting the plight of the Syrian people to for self gratification?

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024