Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If ME invests and we are challenging 16:08 - Apr 30 with 2989 viewsCheltenham_Blue

for a top 2 place (however unlikely) how many would be upset about winning promotion playing MMs way? This seems to be Mick's constant argument, 'it doesn't matter how we win, so long as we do', his trouble this season being, we haven't won enough playing that way either.

I'm just interested as so many have cited not renewing because of the playing style. What position does he have to achieve to make it worth while?

Personally, its fine for the Championship, but, I don't think playing Micks way is the way to approach the Premier League, and we need a fresher, perhaps continental way of thinking and playing to both get us there and keep us there, perhaps another 5 year plan is called for?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

If ME invests and we are challenging on 16:18 - Apr 30 with 2967 viewsArnieM

I've noticed over the past week, a lot more positive vibes/ comments coming out of PR. The players seem all of a sudden very up beat, and " wanting to stay/ extend their contracts. MM has now stated he will be staying and appears to be already planning for next season, with a " clear out ", and a change of direction........ so has he already put his case to Evans of the need for funds, and been told he will get some at last?

Is Evans bailing out and selling up? Is this why there is more positivity around the Club? Because it has been a helluva gloomy season and as think the whole Club' s demenour has been very low and oppressed.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

If ME invests and we are challenging on 17:36 - Apr 30 with 2869 viewsHoppersblue10

When you play carp football but win more than you lose (with Murphy) almost everyone turns a blind eye, when you play carp football and lose more than you win, suddenly everyone notices!

Poll: Who do you want to win on Sunday?

If ME invests and we are challenging on 17:43 - Apr 30 with 2852 viewsLankHenners

The 'I know we had good results but we played bad football' and the 'I'd settle for worse results if we played better football' brigade are made up of the same people and are never happy. We've tried to play better football in recent weeks but even that's met with abuse despite people saying that's what they wanted: better football; worse results.

Some people have convinced themselves that Mick is the Antichrist so whatever he does they'll always give him abuse and then cry and complain when Mick gives a bit back saying that abusing the team isn't helpful.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

If ME invests and we are challenging on 17:47 - Apr 30 with 2833 viewsYallop

I've renewed and I'm genuinely not fussed about if we play long ball or tippy tappy stuff. I just want to see us back in the Prem before I peg it.
If ME invests and we are challenging on 17:51 - Apr 30 with 2810 viewsHoppersblue10

If ME invests and we are challenging on 17:47 - Apr 30 by Yallop

I've renewed and I'm genuinely not fussed about if we play long ball or tippy tappy stuff. I just want to see us back in the Prem before I peg it.

In an ideal world you need and mix of both styles of play, otherwise you are to easy to defend against. My biggest gripe over MM reign is that once we sold Murphy we still kept playing in a style as if he was still up front.!

Poll: Who do you want to win on Sunday?

If ME invests and we are challenging on 18:06 - Apr 30 with 2759 viewsbournemouthblue

After however many years of stagnation, I couldn't care less how we go up

Going up would be nice full stop, I think our football would improve with Premiership investment and it would set us up for a few seasons at least

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If ME invests and we are challenging on 18:16 - Apr 30 with 2731 viewsSwansea_Blue

Most would be happy with that, as proven by the playoff season under Mick. We were hardly pretty on the eye that year.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If ME invests and we are challenging on 18:39 - Apr 30 with 2681 viewsRyorry

If ME invests and we are challenging on 16:18 - Apr 30 by ArnieM

I've noticed over the past week, a lot more positive vibes/ comments coming out of PR. The players seem all of a sudden very up beat, and " wanting to stay/ extend their contracts. MM has now stated he will be staying and appears to be already planning for next season, with a " clear out ", and a change of direction........ so has he already put his case to Evans of the need for funds, and been told he will get some at last?

Is Evans bailing out and selling up? Is this why there is more positivity around the Club? Because it has been a helluva gloomy season and as think the whole Club' s demenour has been very low and oppressed.

"Is Evans bailing out and selling up?"

That might help explain the very evident lack of interest, antipathy even, by the club re doing anything about the shameful state of the ground, services and catering, as much discussed on here today and over the past year or so.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Login to get fewer ads

If ME invests and we are challenging on 18:48 - Apr 30 with 2656 viewstractorshark

Of course everyone wants attractive football but McCarthy's right - fans want success first and foremost.
It only becomes an issue when you've got nothing to play for.
If we were in the bottom three, fans would be less concerned with scrapping to get points as was proven in 2012-13.
And if we were in the top six, wins would still be the priority. Our attendance levels were good in 2014-15 and the football wasn't exactly inspiring.
Fans may have become bored but I confidently predict of all the supporters who have decided they can't stomach any more of McCarthy's brand of football, a large percentage will return if we're in the top six next season.
Even if I'm wrong, look at the playoff semi final with Norwich, there are plenty of glory hunters out there.
I understand totally why people haven't renewed but success would test their resolve.
Of course, achieving it is another matter.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2017 18:50]
If ME invests and we are challenging on 18:53 - Apr 30 with 2632 viewsSwansea_Blue

If ME invests and we are challenging on 18:48 - Apr 30 by tractorshark

Of course everyone wants attractive football but McCarthy's right - fans want success first and foremost.
It only becomes an issue when you've got nothing to play for.
If we were in the bottom three, fans would be less concerned with scrapping to get points as was proven in 2012-13.
And if we were in the top six, wins would still be the priority. Our attendance levels were good in 2014-15 and the football wasn't exactly inspiring.
Fans may have become bored but I confidently predict of all the supporters who have decided they can't stomach any more of McCarthy's brand of football, a large percentage will return if we're in the top six next season.
Even if I'm wrong, look at the playoff semi final with Norwich, there are plenty of glory hunters out there.
I understand totally why people haven't renewed but success would test their resolve.
Of course, achieving it is another matter.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2017 18:50]

Yep, more eloquently put than my brief version. Definitely a large number of fans take more enjoyment from the result than any other aspect of the game. I don't, but I'm aware I'm very much in the minority.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If ME invests and we are challenging on 19:38 - Apr 30 with 2558 viewsMullet

We know already. 6th. We can then worry about pretending how it was later.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

If ME invests and we are challenging on 19:41 - Apr 30 with 2548 viewsRegencyBlue

Its hard to argue if a system is providing wins and people will tolerate pretty much any way of playing if its successful. The key word there though is tolerate and it doesn't take too many failures for disaffection to surface.

MM's problem is that we do not have sufficient quality within the squad to play any system particularly well and for 18 months or more now it has been absolutely dire. We need a major rebuild but Evans shows no sign of being willing to fund it. Given that the best we can hope for in those circumstances is more of the same it is no surprise playing style is a major issue.

Totally agree that MM has been found wanting in the Premier League but lets not run before we can walk. We are so far away from getting a sniff at the PL under the Evans regime it doesn't matter who the manager is in all honesty.
If ME invests and we are challenging on 20:07 - Apr 30 with 2492 viewschristiand

The problem I have is the long term. MM's approach to games gets exposed when it comes up against quality opposition. His track record in the Premier League isn't great, he kept Wolves up by 1 goal on the last day, the following year they are relegated. At Sunderland he gets them promoted and then an absolute disaster in the Premier League the following season. The longevity of his style of play isn't good enough to cope with the next level. Yes, ok we might be top 2 in the Championship and winning games, but I'd be sitting at Portman Road bored out of my head knowing we're going to get a right good hiding if we go up. We can't even keep the ball for more than 3 passes, imagine this shower at Stamford Bridge - a shudder would go down my spine!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

If ME invests and we are challenging on 20:43 - Apr 30 with 2436 viewsPlums

When he joined us, a Wolves supporting colleague said 'if he gets you up, hope they move him on immediately because he's a one trick pony.'

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

If ME invests and we are challenging on 20:47 - Apr 30 with 2415 viewsbournemouthblue

If ME invests and we are challenging on 20:43 - Apr 30 by Plums

When he joined us, a Wolves supporting colleague said 'if he gets you up, hope they move him on immediately because he's a one trick pony.'

I definitely think he is guilty of only really having a plan A built on hard work and organisation. If you can stop plan A then he rarely gets more than a draw out of a game.

He seems to have experimented far more this season and perhaps learned more himself in terms of systems and trying to be a bit more dynamic?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If ME invests and we are challenging on 20:52 - Apr 30 with 2395 viewschristiand

If ME invests and we are challenging on 20:47 - Apr 30 by bournemouthblue

I definitely think he is guilty of only really having a plan A built on hard work and organisation. If you can stop plan A then he rarely gets more than a draw out of a game.

He seems to have experimented far more this season and perhaps learned more himself in terms of systems and trying to be a bit more dynamic?

He changes the formations, but I don't think he knows or understands how to get the best from them.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

If ME invests and we are challenging on 09:59 - May 1 with 2247 viewspatrickswell

It's all about forward momentum. Mick's first two full seasons were the first in 4 years in which we weren't fighting a relegation battle, but were in the promotion picture instead. Although we refrained from spending transfer fees, we bought players that fed into a team ethos we could all get behind (Gerken, Bialkowski, Berra, Skuse, Anderson, Tabb, S.Hunt, Murphy, McGoldrick, Sears and the great gem of that period - Tyrone Mings)

Unfortunately, the club has regressed since January 2016 through excessive caution both on and off the pitch.
If ME invests and we are challenging on 10:40 - May 1 with 2211 viewsNo9

I doubt very much if playing MM's way is going to produce anything much better than a mid-table finish.

What we have seen (Family commitments kept me away from the Newcastle game) is that MM never goes out to take on the opposition and win. It has for most of the season been to weigh up what the opposition are going to do then try to match it and neuter them. But MM's CM just isn't up to it so most of the game is spent in Towns 1/2 of the field. Then MM will make changes, often unfathomable & continue to hope for a draw.

& when the opposition take the lead he seems to have no idea what to do next.

V Sheff Wed, Town were secure so it mattered not one jot if he had 'gone for a win' and made it entertaining for the home supporter. I believe, unfortunately the mould is made and we shall just see more of the same next season - UNLESS, there is a change in team management
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024