Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tonight opened my eyes 21:35 - May 16 with 12164 viewsStokieBlue

I've had an interesting night. I don't want this to become a them versus us rant or one side is better than the other. Both sides have failed.

I graduated the best part of 20 years ago in a vibrant city and tonight I met one of my very best friend's in Nottingham to see what things are like 20 years later.

I'll tell you the place is a wasteland. Blame whoever you like for his but it's crap. Party partisanship has got is to this position. The city is awful, the is no investment and is unrecognisable from the place I knew in the 90's.

I don't think JC tax grab is the way to sort this. Who cares if something is nationalised or not. 100m would sort Nottingham out completely. A tiny amount from their nationalisation budget and I'm sure there are many places just the same

Shoot me and down and insult, that's fine. But tonight opened my eyes an massive nationalisation isn't the way.

Critic all you like, I won't moan.

SB

Edit: In hindsight I think I phrased the above badly. I do think there should be more investment outside of London and Manchester and in my opinion it's something that should come higher on the agenda than nationalisation when the money is distributed. Maybe there will be enough for both but that seems unlikely.

[Post edited 17 May 2017 10:17]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Tonight opened my eyes on 21:40 - May 16 with 4334 viewsGromheort

The innate suggestion in your post is that nationalisation is the central plank of JC's package. It isn't. That's just a return to the rationality of public good provision, kicking right wing ideology in the teeth. The central plank is investment. I know, for example, all about Stoke. Left behind by Thatcher's deindustrialisation and unaided by New Labour's soft Toryism. All change now.
Tonight opened my eyes on 21:46 - May 16 with 4267 viewsWD19

Spent quite a bit of time poking around there before and after the game the other week. Basically it looks like it suffered most from 'investment' in the 1960/70s. Beautiful history interspersed with rotting concrete. 50% of it needs ripping down and starting again.

Once we get to a place where the tax take is higher than it has been since the 1940s I am sure there will be plenty enough to spend on sorting it out. Fortunately nobody other than the magic money tree that is the 5% will have to pay for any of it.
Tonight opened my eyes on 21:47 - May 16 with 4251 viewsblueislander

Tonight opened my eyes on 21:40 - May 16 by Gromheort

The innate suggestion in your post is that nationalisation is the central plank of JC's package. It isn't. That's just a return to the rationality of public good provision, kicking right wing ideology in the teeth. The central plank is investment. I know, for example, all about Stoke. Left behind by Thatcher's deindustrialisation and unaided by New Labour's soft Toryism. All change now.

To those of us who have not read an economics text book , could you please explain the difference between nationalisation, and public good provision,
Tonight opened my eyes on 21:47 - May 16 with 4246 viewsDubtractor

Why do regeneration and renationalisation need to be exclusive from each other?

Privatisation of utilities, for example has resulted in increased bills, a fraction of the jobs originally belonging to the national companies, and profits being sent oversees.

Surely that profit could be used to support places like Nottingham?

My problem with the Labour manifesto is that it probably over promises from the start, maybe smaller initial aims with some aspirational stuff for the longer term would have been better.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Tonight opened my eyes on 21:50 - May 16 with 4215 viewsEastTownBlue

It must have something going for it if it can get hundreds of millions spent on their tram network.

I quite like Nottingham. Although as per WD19's post, the concrete buildings in the centre don't do it any favours.
Tonight opened my eyes on 21:53 - May 16 with 4191 viewsolimar

Funnily enough, I was there a couple of years ago for the first time in 10 years and thought the city centre, main square area, had improved quite a bit.
Tonight opened my eyes on 21:57 - May 16 with 4142 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's a bit perverse Stokie. You could easily turn that on it's head and say that because town centres have deteriorated under a globalised, privatised economy we should be considering whether there is a better way.

If what we've been doing isn't working, why carry on?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:01 - May 16 with 4097 viewslowhouseblue

Tonight opened my eyes on 21:47 - May 16 by blueislander

To those of us who have not read an economics text book , could you please explain the difference between nationalisation, and public good provision,

a public good is something that, since you can't exclude people from consuming, the market has no way of making people pay for. for example, national defence is a public good - you can't exclude anyone in the country from getting the benefit and people get that benefit even if they don't pay. state provision funded by tax is a way of providing such goods.

obviously utilities are not public goods, they are completely excludable. so what he means by nationalising utilities being 'a return to the rationality of public good provision' i have no idea.
[Post edited 16 May 2017 22:03]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:04 - May 16 with 4064 viewsStokieBlue

Tonight opened my eyes on 21:40 - May 16 by Gromheort

I tried to make a non-partisan point and you had to be a fool.

In hindsight I should have worded the OP better.

SB
[Post edited 17 May 2017 10:12]

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:05 - May 16 with 4052 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:01 - May 16 by lowhouseblue

a public good is something that, since you can't exclude people from consuming, the market has no way of making people pay for. for example, national defence is a public good - you can't exclude anyone in the country from getting the benefit and people get that benefit even if they don't pay. state provision funded by tax is a way of providing such goods.

obviously utilities are not public goods, they are completely excludable. so what he means by nationalising utilities being 'a return to the rationality of public good provision' i have no idea.

Crikey, you do make basic error. There is no such thing as a pure public good (non excludability and non rivalry in consumption). Defence certainly isn't one: e.g. see how the military have been used historically to break strikes. But, those traits ensure government provision is typically the best option. Goes back to Coase's debate over lighthouses
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:07 - May 16 with 4042 viewsblueislander

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:01 - May 16 by lowhouseblue

Crikey! Your first sentence could have been posted by him.
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:07 - May 16 with 4040 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:04 - May 16 by StokieBlue

I tried to make a non-partisan point and you had to be a fool.

In hindsight I should have worded the OP better.

SB

You made an error over the relative importance of nationalisation. That investment is at the core of the proposals just made your "come hug me" moment a little awkward
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:09 - May 16 with 4019 viewslowhouseblue

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:05 - May 16 by Gromheort

Crikey, you do make basic error. There is no such thing as a pure public good (non excludability and non rivalry in consumption). Defence certainly isn't one: e.g. see how the military have been used historically to break strikes. But, those traits ensure government provision is typically the best option. Goes back to Coase's debate over lighthouses

you sir are a complete twit. you give students a bad name.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:09 - May 16 with 4017 viewsStokieBlue

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:07 - May 16 by Gromheort

You made an error over the relative importance of nationalisation. That investment is at the core of the proposals just made your "come hug me" moment a little awkward

You love yourselve don't you?

SB
[Post edited 17 May 2017 10:11]

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:10 - May 16 with 4014 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:09 - May 16 by lowhouseblue

you sir are a complete twit. you give students a bad name.

I assume you can't respond. Fair enough!
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:11 - May 16 with 3996 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:09 - May 16 by StokieBlue

You love yourselve don't you?

SB
[Post edited 17 May 2017 10:11]

Again, nothing but insults. You will see my post was non-partisan. It attacked both parties after all. You just haven't understood the manifesto: the key is investment. Sorry, mind you, that it didn't fit in with your 'hug me' agenda
[Post edited 16 May 2017 22:11]
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:13 - May 16 with 3967 viewsStokieBlue

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:11 - May 16 by Gromheort

Again, nothing but insults. You will see my post was non-partisan. It attacked both parties after all. You just haven't understood the manifesto: the key is investment. Sorry, mind you, that it didn't fit in with your 'hug me' agenda

Do you read what you post? Nearly every post you make is an insult. You never reply, you answer what you want to. It's pathetic.

SB

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:14 - May 16 with 3953 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:13 - May 16 by StokieBlue

Do you read what you post? Nearly every post you make is an insult. You never reply, you answer what you want to. It's pathetic.

SB

Where's the insult? Happy to apologise if there is one.

Loved how you added more insults to try and prove me wrong mind you
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:16 - May 16 with 3931 viewsblueislander

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:11 - May 16 by Gromheort

I haven't read the manifesto, and I would venture to suggest that you haven't either. My take is that ideology has been the driving force behind it, and the rest is trying to justify how these ideologies could become a reality.
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:17 - May 16 with 3922 viewslowhouseblue

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:07 - May 16 by blueislander

Crikey! Your first sentence could have been posted by him.

apologies. when wikipedia asks for donations do you donate? most people don't because at the moment, as it is currently set up, there is no way to stop you using it. you therefore have no incentive to contribute towards the cost - it is there for you whether you pay for it or not. so as it is currently set up, wikipedia is a sort of public good.

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:17 - May 16 with 3918 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:16 - May 16 by blueislander

I haven't read the manifesto, and I would venture to suggest that you haven't either. My take is that ideology has been the driving force behind it, and the rest is trying to justify how these ideologies could become a reality.

Ideology certainly drives it. Is that a bad thing? Principles shouldn't be discarded as a bad (either for the left or the right)
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:18 - May 16 with 3908 viewsStokieBlue

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:14 - May 16 by Gromheort

Where's the insult? Happy to apologise if there is one.

Loved how you added more insults to try and prove me wrong mind you

You took a non partisan point about under investment, made it partisan.

SB

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:20 - May 16 with 3881 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:18 - May 16 by StokieBlue

You took a non partisan point about under investment, made it partisan.

SB

You're rather free with the truth here. I attacked both sides. I just happened to also mention that your whole post actually is consistent with being a JC fan: given the new focus of Labour on investment, particularly for relatively deprived areas.
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:22 - May 16 with 3866 viewsblueislander

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:17 - May 16 by Gromheort

Ideology certainly drives it. Is that a bad thing? Principles shouldn't be discarded as a bad (either for the left or the right)

So you have changed your mind? By the way, have you read the manifesto?
Tonight opened my eyes on 22:25 - May 16 with 3841 viewsGromheort

Tonight opened my eyes on 22:22 - May 16 by blueislander

So you have changed your mind? By the way, have you read the manifesto?

About what? And yep. Liked the BBC 'how things changed with the leaked one' humph too
[Post edited 16 May 2017 22:25]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024