Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tescos 07:03 - Sep 8 with 12640 viewsBenters

Has made £31.5m out of the 5p plastic bag charge !

In one year !

All that is going to charity right ?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Tescos on 07:29 - Sep 8 with 6265 viewsTractorWood

How the proceeds are being used
This is not a tax and the money from the charge does not go to the government.

We expect retailers to give the proceeds of the scheme to good causes, but it is for them to choose what to do, and which causes to support. We ask retailers to report to us each year about what they do with the money from the charge. We publish a summary which includes details of the amounts of money given to good causes.

During the year from 7 April 2016 to 6 April 2017, almost two-thirds of retailers told us they gave over £66 million to good causes - amounting to 4 pence for every single-use bag sold by them.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Tescos on 07:34 - Sep 8 with 6235 viewsCurrie10

Apparently since the 5p charge came in, shoplifting has sky rocketed. Remember reading something about this online.
Tescos on 07:36 - Sep 8 with 6222 viewsnoggin

Tescos on 07:29 - Sep 8 by TractorWood

How the proceeds are being used
This is not a tax and the money from the charge does not go to the government.

We expect retailers to give the proceeds of the scheme to good causes, but it is for them to choose what to do, and which causes to support. We ask retailers to report to us each year about what they do with the money from the charge. We publish a summary which includes details of the amounts of money given to good causes.

During the year from 7 April 2016 to 6 April 2017, almost two-thirds of retailers told us they gave over £66 million to good causes - amounting to 4 pence for every single-use bag sold by them.

All the money should go towards collecting and disposing of the plastic that is destroying marine life in the oceans. And with immediate effect, single use plastics should be outlawed.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 7:39]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Tescos on 07:46 - Sep 8 with 6183 viewsblue_oyster

According to the Times, Tesco retained £3.4m of charity money for 'administrative purposes'. The other major supermarkets didn't.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Tescos on 07:48 - Sep 8 with 6171 viewsITFC_Forever

Tescos on 07:46 - Sep 8 by blue_oyster

According to the Times, Tesco retained £3.4m of charity money for 'administrative purposes'. The other major supermarkets didn't.

Tesco are the biggest sharks going.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Tescos on 08:40 - Sep 8 with 6077 viewsJ2BLUE

Tescos on 07:36 - Sep 8 by noggin

All the money should go towards collecting and disposing of the plastic that is destroying marine life in the oceans. And with immediate effect, single use plastics should be outlawed.

They should but I must have about 100 bags for life at home. Not sure it would make that much difference. More awareness that they can be recycled (at Tesco, not in the blue bin) would be better.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Tescos on 08:44 - Sep 8 with 6062 viewsVaughan8

Haven't Tesco stopped the 5p bags now and are making you buy a more expensive (assuming 10p?) "bag for life"?

Does seem a bit excessive to take £3.4m for admin purposes. Surely there needs to be some sort of checks on this and fines if not correct. I cannot see how it has cost the £3.4million!
Tescos on 08:49 - Sep 8 with 6048 viewsTractorWood

Tescos on 07:36 - Sep 8 by noggin

Fair and agreed. However, the sort of money we are talking about here wouldn't even begin to make a dent in cleaning up the world's oceans. Humanity needs to sort out consumerism and perpetual growth mentality, not carry on growing, consuming and throw contextually trivial money at it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Tescos on 08:51 - Sep 8 with 6045 viewsgerard1947

Tescos on 07:48 - Sep 8 by ITFC_Forever

I really despise Tesco, I would never shop there.
Tescos on 08:53 - Sep 8 with 6038 viewsblue_oyster

Tescos on 07:48 - Sep 8 by ITFC_Forever

That may be true, but I suspect there is a fine line between them and the others.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Tescos on 10:02 - Sep 8 with 5973 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Tescos on 08:44 - Sep 8 by Vaughan8

Haven't Tesco stopped the 5p bags now and are making you buy a more expensive (assuming 10p?) "bag for life"?

Does seem a bit excessive to take £3.4m for admin purposes. Surely there needs to be some sort of checks on this and fines if not correct. I cannot see how it has cost the £3.4million!

They have indeed stopped the 5p bags. I seem to have accumulated 3 bags for life full of bags for life though.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Tescos on 10:07 - Sep 8 with 5953 viewsnoggin

Tescos on 08:49 - Sep 8 by TractorWood

Fair and agreed. However, the sort of money we are talking about here wouldn't even begin to make a dent in cleaning up the world's oceans. Humanity needs to sort out consumerism and perpetual growth mentality, not carry on growing, consuming and throw contextually trivial money at it.

Every little helps

Tescos on 10:08 - Sep 8 with 5945 viewsnoggin

Tescos on 10:02 - Sep 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

They have indeed stopped the 5p bags. I seem to have accumulated 3 bags for life full of bags for life though.

Just don't throw them in the sea.

Tescos on 10:12 - Sep 8 with 5932 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Tescos on 10:08 - Sep 8 by noggin

Just don't throw them in the sea.

I actually use them (sparingly) for non recyclable waste, haven,t bought bin liners in ages.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Tescos on 10:13 - Sep 8 with 5917 viewsWD19

Not sure they are obliged to give any of the money to charity, although happy to be corrected if wrong. As such a fine is not appropriate.

This is one for the 'court of public opinion'. Other supermarkets are available and if you like the colour of their livery more then feel free to shop there etc etc.

Most supermarkets are likely to be rerouting the cash from this into their own charitable foundations (that they were funding before the charge came along) anyway....thus saving themselves a few quid whilst simultaneously looking like good eggs.
Tescos on 10:14 - Sep 8 with 5918 viewsnoggin

Tescos on 10:12 - Sep 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

I actually use them (sparingly) for non recyclable waste, haven,t bought bin liners in ages.

Bags for life are about 2 quid over here, which seems to defeat the object somewhat, to me. I do have them but most people don't or at least I don't see them.

Tescos on 10:16 - Sep 8 with 5907 viewsArcher4721

Tescos on 08:51 - Sep 8 by gerard1947

I really despise Tesco, I would never shop there.

Me neither. Same goes for Sainsbury too.
Tescos on 11:36 - Sep 8 with 5826 viewsDeano69

I'd do the Admin for half that.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Tescos on 11:38 - Sep 8 with 5814 viewsDeano69

Tescos on 10:14 - Sep 8 by noggin

Bags for life are about 2 quid over here, which seems to defeat the object somewhat, to me. I do have them but most people don't or at least I don't see them.

Thats the reason they are called bags for life, no one remembers to take them shopping so they last a lifetime unused

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Tescos on 11:43 - Sep 8 with 5795 viewsBlue_Order

I get around the charge by taking a bed sheet to the supermarket, chucking all my items in it, tying a knot, slinging it over my shoulder, dragging it across the car park and into the boot of my car.

Tescos on 11:48 - Sep 8 with 5779 viewsRyorry

Tescos on 08:40 - Sep 8 by J2BLUE

They should but I must have about 100 bags for life at home. Not sure it would make that much difference. More awareness that they can be recycled (at Tesco, not in the blue bin) would be better.

Took some stuff to the tip yesterday, including one of those puffed up plastic beading cool boxes - (forgotten the name of the material, which breaks into 1,000,000 beads all over your kitchen floor given half a chance)* - there was no skip for plastics, and I was instructed to put it in the landfill skip :(

*Edit - remembered while picking runner beans! Polystyrene. Hate it.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 13:47]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Tescos on 11:49 - Sep 8 with 5774 viewsRyorry

Tescos on 10:12 - Sep 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

Same here.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Tescos on 11:57 - Sep 8 with 5739 viewspoppiesman

I shop at Tescos at least once a week. But never buy the 5p bags as always take my own 6 sportsdirect bags that my mate gave me when he worked there. Probably save at least 50p per trip!
Tescos on 12:00 - Sep 8 with 5722 viewsBenters

Tescos on 10:02 - Sep 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

Not in my local tescos they havent .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Tescos on 12:00 - Sep 8 with 5718 viewsBlue_Order

Tescos on 11:57 - Sep 8 by poppiesman

I shop at Tescos at least once a week. But never buy the 5p bags as always take my own 6 sportsdirect bags that my mate gave me when he worked there. Probably save at least 50p per trip!

You could probably fit the same amount of shopping in one of their mugs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024