Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing 08:57 - Mar 22 with 1301 viewsStokieBlue

Just heard on Radio 4 that a number of pubs in Scotland and especially in Glasgow are refusing to close because the Scottish government doesn't yet have the powers to forcefully close them.

One landlord from Greenock went on record with:

“As long as there’s no legislation they can’t force you to close.

We’re going to stay open until it becomes unsafe to do so or we’re forced to close. We are sanitising the place very thoroughly. We’ve got sanitisers all over the pub. We’ve had cleaners on duty all day."

Clearly hard times for everyone but this is surely bang out of order? Why are people frequenting them even if they decide to stay open?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:32 - Mar 22 with 1231 viewsDanTheMan

Unless they somehow have disinfectant pumping through the air at all times, they are completely missing the point.

Hearing about all this stuff is winding me up no end.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:34 - Mar 22 with 1222 viewsStokieBlue

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:32 - Mar 22 by DanTheMan

Unless they somehow have disinfectant pumping through the air at all times, they are completely missing the point.

Agreed, it's incredibly annoying to see people behaving in this way. I don't know if it's lack of scientific education or simple selfishness of wanting to get more takings.

People should be big enough to avoid the establishment but guess they are busy. A number in Glasgow with the same attitude which is even worse in a big city.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:36 - Mar 22 with 1205 viewssparks

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:34 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Agreed, it's incredibly annoying to see people behaving in this way. I don't know if it's lack of scientific education or simple selfishness of wanting to get more takings.

People should be big enough to avoid the establishment but guess they are busy. A number in Glasgow with the same attitude which is even worse in a big city.

SB

Time we had the french forms- and the army out.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:38 - Mar 22 with 1189 viewsHerbivore

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:34 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

SB

When those at the top have previously told the public repeatedly to dismiss expert reports as scaremongering, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that many continue to dismiss experts as scaremongering now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:44 - Mar 22 with 1172 viewsr2d2

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:32 - Mar 22 by DanTheMan

You are going to get a whole lot more wound up over people in the coming days then. People just arnt getting it, nor will they until the government puts a lock down in place, which will come. Ive never seen so many people walking dogs, standing in circles, laughing and joking in the mornings as l have yesterday and today. Neighbours in and out all day, as usual yesterday and already this morning my neighbours loaded up the car and said they were off to the coast. People think this is a jolly.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 9:46]
Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:59 - Mar 22 with 1137 viewspointofblue

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:44 - Mar 22 by r2d2

You are going to get a whole lot more wound up over people in the coming days then. People just arnt getting it, nor will they until the government puts a lock down in place, which will come. Ive never seen so many people walking dogs, standing in circles, laughing and joking in the mornings as l have yesterday and today. Neighbours in and out all day, as usual yesterday and already this morning my neighbours loaded up the car and said they were off to the coast. People think this is a jolly.

The problem is the government is stating that exercising in fresh air in ok, so people will be doing that as much as they can in case a lockdown is in place. They were saying go to National Parks because they offer wide open spaces so people did - in such great numbers that social distancing was impossible and now they’re having to consider closing Snowdonia.

For all the mocking of the nudge theory people I talk to are already getting restless about being at home and having nowhere to go. They don’t have the mental ability to do it without causing stress or another kind of illness. That’s why it was understandable the government wanted to keep things ticking over for as normal for as long as possible - so people weren’t tiring of isolation as we hit the peak.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 10:18 - Mar 22 with 1099 viewsGuthrum

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:59 - Mar 22 by pointofblue

The problem is the government is stating that exercising in fresh air in ok, so people will be doing that as much as they can in case a lockdown is in place. They were saying go to National Parks because they offer wide open spaces so people did - in such great numbers that social distancing was impossible and now they’re having to consider closing Snowdonia.

For all the mocking of the nudge theory people I talk to are already getting restless about being at home and having nowhere to go. They don’t have the mental ability to do it without causing stress or another kind of illness. That’s why it was understandable the government wanted to keep things ticking over for as normal for as long as possible - so people weren’t tiring of isolation as we hit the peak.

One problem being that if all out-door excercise is forbidden for weeks or months, that brings with it a raft of potential health issues. Which will, in turn, increase the burden on the healthcare system and expose people to contagion in hospitals.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 11:37 - Mar 22 with 1029 viewsBloomBlue

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 10:18 - Mar 22 by Guthrum

One problem being that if all out-door excercise is forbidden for weeks or months, that brings with it a raft of potential health issues. Which will, in turn, increase the burden on the healthcare system and expose people to contagion in hospitals.

As mentioned yesterday thousands already die every year from lack of exercise, sunlight, it's a balancing act you'll save 1000s from dying of CV, but the same total will die from lack of exercise.
Login to get fewer ads

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 14:45 - Mar 22 with 930 viewsnoggin

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:38 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

When those at the top have previously told the public repeatedly to dismiss expert reports as scaremongering, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that many continue to dismiss experts as scaremongering now.

Project fear innit.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 14:49 - Mar 22 with 910 viewsjeera

Some pubs in Scotland aren't closing on 09:44 - Mar 22 by r2d2

I think it's still ok to laugh and joke in the mornings, but after midday the advice is to wind it in a bit.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024