Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hollywood balls 12:07 - Aug 28 with 938 viewsDarth_Koont

Not the latest Vin Diesel film but our constant attempts to try Pirlo-esque passes, fancy little flicks and tricks or a little too intricate interplay in attack.

It wasn’t just yesterday but yesterday it was even clearer, and maybe because Barnsley were so well-drilled. And it *seems* to be under instruction from McKenna as one or more of our players will try the unexpected in almost every attack rather than keep it simple and keep the ball for longer.

I’m guessing the theory is that unless we really surprise the opposition then they can just focus on cutting out the obvious space and doing the obvious defending. So it should be a way of working the defence and never letting them settle. But the difference between world-class players and ours seems to be that they know when the simple pass can still be the more dangerous one and we can butcher openings as a result. Chaplin’s attempt to lob the defender when he was already half-through was probably the most blatant example.

Maybe we need to take the rough with the smooth if overall we create more threat with this higher-level approach that can often surprise our own players just as much as the opposition. And we’ll be the ones getting more and more used to it as the season progresses.

The one thing I would say is that we often played overly ambitious passes or cute flicks when we’d just broken up an attack and picked up possession. But that’s surely the wrong time as the space and out-of-position defenders are already there to be exploited with a quicker, more simple and more direct counter-attack.

I like what I’m seeing and it’s great McKenna has given players the licence to try stuff. We look fantastic at times and we certainly will score some great goals. But if we can be just a fraction better at knowing when to try stuff then we’ll be even more of a threat.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hollywood balls on 12:32 - Aug 28 with 851 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Can’t disagree with much, if any of this and it can be magnificent or frustrating in equal measure.
The Chaplin one was a good example as he seemed to have half a yard on his marker anyway.
It’s refreshing though that the likes of Morsy are being given more freedom to get into goal scoring positions and this is beginning to pay dividends.
If we continue playing this way, and cut out a few of the defensive lapses, I expect us to be promoted come May.
Exciting times ahead DK.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Hollywood balls on 12:41 - Aug 28 with 825 viewsDarth_Koont

Hollywood balls on 12:32 - Aug 28 by StochesStotasBlewe

Can’t disagree with much, if any of this and it can be magnificent or frustrating in equal measure.
The Chaplin one was a good example as he seemed to have half a yard on his marker anyway.
It’s refreshing though that the likes of Morsy are being given more freedom to get into goal scoring positions and this is beginning to pay dividends.
If we continue playing this way, and cut out a few of the defensive lapses, I expect us to be promoted come May.
Exciting times ahead DK.

“Magnificent or frustrating in equal measure” is exactly right.

But yes, keep up this approach and the promotion chase and it will definitely be exciting. And beyond that too – if we do get promoted then I fancy us to do well in the Championship with the same approach and core of the side.

Hollywood balls on 12:50 - Aug 28 with 798 viewsitfcjoe

I think, first half especially, it was as a result of Barnsley being well drilled and well disciplined and squeezing a poor pass from us when in possession as no good passing lines available through the thirds

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hollywood balls on 12:54 - Aug 28 with 772 viewshomer_123

Hollywood balls on 12:50 - Aug 28 by itfcjoe

I think, first half especially, it was as a result of Barnsley being well drilled and well disciplined and squeezing a poor pass from us when in possession as no good passing lines available through the thirds

Which was evident with their front three being very narrow and on top of us from our goal kicks.

They pressed harried very well. Started to tire in the second half and we had more success.

Two good goals from us...a third chalked off. Edmondson hit the bar and KVY forced a very good save from their keeper.

For me...not a lot to worry about. Plenty to show from yesterday, even when we were not at our best, we have more than enough about us.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Hollywood balls on 13:06 - Aug 28 with 749 viewsDarth_Koont

Hollywood balls on 12:50 - Aug 28 by itfcjoe

Sometimes, sure.

But we were trying this stuff anyway even under little pressure and when space had opened up.

Hollywood balls on 13:10 - Aug 28 with 738 viewshomer_123

Hollywood balls on 13:06 - Aug 28 by Darth_Koont

Sometimes, sure.

But we were trying this stuff anyway even under little pressure and when space had opened up.

Are you thinking of Ladapo's flick? And I think Chaplin tried one close to the side line?

Is it 'that' common though?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Hollywood balls on 13:23 - Aug 28 with 716 viewsDarth_Koont

Hollywood balls on 13:10 - Aug 28 by homer_123

Are you thinking of Ladapo's flick? And I think Chaplin tried one close to the side line?

Is it 'that' common though?

It’s not just the flicks. But we do something high risk and stretching our skills almost every attack as if it’s part of the approach.

We’re clearly not looking to keep the ball and bore the opposition into submission but challenge and unsettle them at every opportunity.

Hollywood balls on 13:27 - Aug 28 with 703 viewsFrimleyBlue

Hollywood balls on 13:23 - Aug 28 by Darth_Koont

It’s not just the flicks. But we do something high risk and stretching our skills almost every attack as if it’s part of the approach.

We’re clearly not looking to keep the ball and bore the opposition into submission but challenge and unsettle them at every opportunity.

I guess you could say you won't get better at them if you don't continue to try them.

I do prefer to see town doing these things in hope that they get better at it and in turn really starts to hurt sides who think they can just get tight and it will stop us.. if this turns into sides giving us a yard... that yard could be very beneficial for us.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Hollywood balls on 13:33 - Aug 28 with 698 viewsDarth_Koont

Hollywood balls on 13:27 - Aug 28 by FrimleyBlue

I guess you could say you won't get better at them if you don't continue to try them.

I do prefer to see town doing these things in hope that they get better at it and in turn really starts to hurt sides who think they can just get tight and it will stop us.. if this turns into sides giving us a yard... that yard could be very beneficial for us.

I think what we lose in accuracy but gain in space and generally unsettling defences makes it a good approach anyway. And as you say we should get better at it too.

Hollywood balls on 13:55 - Aug 28 with 655 viewseastangliaisblue

I don't think we have much to worry about and I'm cinfident we will go up. The only thing that infuriates me is the goal kicks with two defenders in the box and a short pass to either one of them. All that does is give the opposition extra yards in our half and the potential to put ourselves under unnecessary pressure. I'm all for playing on the deck but ffs for a goal kick just punt it upfield.
Hollywood balls on 13:58 - Aug 28 with 641 viewsjeera

Hollywood balls on 13:55 - Aug 28 by eastangliaisblue

I don't think we have much to worry about and I'm cinfident we will go up. The only thing that infuriates me is the goal kicks with two defenders in the box and a short pass to either one of them. All that does is give the opposition extra yards in our half and the potential to put ourselves under unnecessary pressure. I'm all for playing on the deck but ffs for a goal kick just punt it upfield.

The problem with that is more times than not it just gives possession to the opposition and the ball comes straight back in the form of an attack.

It would be good to see us maybe mix it up a bit more though granted.

If nothing else so the opposition doesn't always know what to expect.

We play some great stuff but seem a little predictable at times. Any manager studying our style will look to set up to nullify which we saw yesterday.

Edited for spelling mistakes. It seems that recently my English is almost as bad as my French.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2022 15:10]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Hollywood balls on 14:02 - Aug 28 with 633 viewsSheffordBlue

I think there's an element of this but we're mixing our play up much more than previously. On the Opta Data Hub we're currently 2nd in the division for sequences of 10+ passes and top for 10+ pass sequences that end in a shot or touch in the box. That suggests we're not entirely relying on the Hollywood flicks and tricks to break the lines.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Hollywood balls on 14:11 - Aug 28 with 607 viewsMetal_Hacker

In all honesty I’d rather watch this style of football and I realise you’re not saying any other but I think we just need to mix it up slightly

Intricate stuff accompanied with some more direct passing - as for a 20 goal striker , personally I don’t think we need one. Wouldn’t be adverse to another striker coming in but once Ladapo kicks in properly and with the goals our midfield/10’s will get , I think we’ve plenty of goals in us but injuries worry me

Poll: If it were one or the other

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024