Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't get this two week break being good at all 08:46 - Mar 21 with 2688 viewsDyland

This isn't a post about the non call-up fook up.

I'd rather postpone a match where Broadhead and Burns aren't available. But I don't agree the break is a good thing. Seems wishful thinking. Training ain't the same as league match competition and a break stops our momentum imo. Look at Morecombe when they came to PR. Of course, they aren't the same quality side as Town, but they had some decent form but played like strangers. Not saying at all that Town will play like strangers at Derby, but you get the point.

Oh who knows ffs. COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 08:50 - Mar 21 with 2408 viewsMetal_Hacker

I agree but the positive being it gives Luongo more time to recover , if that's needed , it also gives a little more time for Camara and Ball to get up to speed perhaps

I think McK is too regimented and diligent to let the "break" become a negative

Poll: If it were one or the other

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 08:55 - Mar 21 with 2385 viewsChurchman

I think it’s very much who knows. Yep, momentum broken maybe. However, it is a chance to do some training after quite an intense period of games. It’s also a chance for players with niggles to recover.

We are a bit damned either way on this. I understand why the club made the decision but would also have understood had they played it.
I guess on 08:56 - Mar 21 with 2385 viewsDyland

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 08:50 - Mar 21 by Metal_Hacker

I agree but the positive being it gives Luongo more time to recover , if that's needed , it also gives a little more time for Camara and Ball to get up to speed perhaps

The positive angles are to be welcomed Hackers, but it doesn't change the fundamental point about "momentum", in all its nuanced and intangible glory. I'm ambivalent about it. Largely cos I'm enjoying watching us so much at the moment. As I say however, Burns has hit great form and Broadhead is just different gravy, so snakes and ladders ja.

We shall see, though whatever the score at Derby it won't make either viewpoint right or wrong innit.

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 08:58 - Mar 21 with 2359 viewsHerbivore

It's not ideal but it's the lesser of two evils (as you suggest). I guess the only positive is that players who have maybe got more game time in their legs than is ideal - Morsy, Davis, Luongo after not playing for a year - get a bit of time to recover for the run in.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I guess on 08:59 - Mar 21 with 2339 viewsMetal_Hacker

I guess on 08:56 - Mar 21 by Dyland

The positive angles are to be welcomed Hackers, but it doesn't change the fundamental point about "momentum", in all its nuanced and intangible glory. I'm ambivalent about it. Largely cos I'm enjoying watching us so much at the moment. As I say however, Burns has hit great form and Broadhead is just different gravy, so snakes and ladders ja.

We shall see, though whatever the score at Derby it won't make either viewpoint right or wrong innit.

If I'm honest my feelings run similar to yours - I'm just trying to "keep the faith"

In the past I would've expected a sloppy return to a matchday but again glass half full , I'm hoping McK ensures we're on it

That said momentum is a huge factor so let's hope all three (SW,Plymouth and Barnsley) hit some negative momentum along the way !!! We're due some luck factoring in the start of the season and the points missed / dropped through no fault of our own

Poll: If it were one or the other

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 08:59 - Mar 21 with 2341 viewswrightsrightglove

I think it had to be done with burns and Broadhead both being out, gives Luongo a chance to catch his breath ready for the run in. I would imagine we might have a friendly lined up for the weekend, maybe a premiership under 21 team or something like that just to keep us sharp.
I don't get this two week break being good at all on 09:08 - Mar 21 with 2287 viewsringwoodblue

I guess ultimately the decision will be judged on how we perform against Derby. If we play like damp squibs and lose, it will be blamed on the two-week break but if we carry on playing as we have been and win, no-one will bat an eyelid.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 09:17 - Mar 21 with 2262 viewsGavTWTD

If Luongo says he needs it, thats good enough for me: “I need this two-week break now. I probably needed it after Bolton, but that’s fine. I think that first week, of three games in a week, was tough, but I’m experienced enough to deal with it and adjust my position or be behind the ball rather than box-to-box.

“The Bolton game was tough as it was the most physical game I have been in for a while. They are big boys, they run a lot and were strong.

But we got through it. Players have helped me out, the manager has looked after me when he can. I’ll just try and keep going and getting stronger."

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Login to get fewer ads

Lesser of two evils is good way to look at it (n/t) on 09:36 - Mar 21 with 2156 viewsDyland

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 08:58 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

It's not ideal but it's the lesser of two evils (as you suggest). I guess the only positive is that players who have maybe got more game time in their legs than is ideal - Morsy, Davis, Luongo after not playing for a year - get a bit of time to recover for the run in.

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 09:38 - Mar 21 with 2111 viewsKeno

It depends on what happens next

Win at Derby, go on and get promoted to is a good thing

Lose at Derby, go on and miss out on going up and its a bad thing

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 09:44 - Mar 21 with 2081 viewsNthQldITFC

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 08:50 - Mar 21 by Metal_Hacker

I think so too. As well as the management team being so meticulous that you expect them to have the players perfectly tuned up after the break, I sense a sort of steely determination and increased focus on winning every game within the team of players now.

Earlier in the season there seemed to be a lot of focus on the aesthetics of how we were playing, and engraining that deeply within the squad, even sometimes at the expense of ruthlessness. That has left us with a very slick and capable mode of play, but the new players and probably a tweak in the psychological aspect of our training seems to have a added a really hard-edged determination along with a little extra directness if appropriate.

I think the break is a physical positive, and the impact on momentum will be negligible to nil.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 09:57 - Mar 21 with 2024 viewsFromReuserWithLove

The narrative is set for a fall now isn't it. A fall with fans wearing Rasta hats and waving Jamaica flags in the name of 'PiSs BoIliNg'
I don't get this two week break being good at all on 10:20 - Mar 21 with 1946 viewsGuthrum

Looking at the momentum aspect in another way: The longer a successful run continues, the greater pressure there is to continue it. Despite recent successes, fan morale is still pretty fragile, as evidenced by posts saying we need to win the majority of matches remaining in order to get promoted. If things go wrong (e.g. falling behind in a match), the atmosphere could turn.

This break can be seen as a reset. A run of six wins has been banked. A new sequence begins from scratch.

Also, considering we have eight matches in 29 days during April, a bit of a breather is no bad thing, before the final push.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 10:23 - Mar 21 with 1923 viewsclive_baker

I think it's a break that will benefit us through a very busy April. It's a chance to recharge and effectively like a mini pre season. I do agree Derby away is potentially a banana skin coming straight after it though, but if we can get the W there I would think this period will hold us in very good stead for the final 8 games.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 10:31 - Mar 21 with 1870 viewsGuthrum

Also, we're either skilled and playing well enough to beat those teams or we're not. The date makes relatively little difference. I'm sure the desire to achieve promotion (when we're so close) won't go away. Neither will McKenna allow them to lose focus.

As an added bonus, we'll have a clearer picture of the target in relation to SheffWed and Barnsley (they both playing two in the next fortnight to catch up with our number of matches played), know Plymouth's 38th result in advance and gain a game in hand on Derby.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 10:33 - Mar 21 with 1859 viewsLankHenners

Do see what you mean - would be nice to not have an international break at all and keep the momentum going, plus selfishly it's always a bit dull to have a weekend without a Town game!

Would have liked a relative softball on our return to action, mind, rather than Derby away as they could make us pay for being a bit sluggish. Hopefully the players are mentally strong enough now to deal with it with Burns and Broadhead coming back having scored hattricks for Wales and it's another 2-0 away win.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 10:53 - Mar 21 with 1796 viewsitfcjoe

Like most football decisions it will totally be judged in hindsight.

If we go up, it will be the key reason that we had this mini pre season and flew into the final sprint bang ready

If we don't, the break in momentum will be why we didn't.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 11:17 - Mar 21 with 1674 viewsFrimleyBlue

Depends what's done during that 2 weeks

Luongo mentioned its welcome to him after playing a lot of football for the first time in a while. It also gives the likes of Ball more time to get training sessions in to.

There will likely be a behind close doors game to.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2023 12:02]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 11:20 - Mar 21 with 1650 viewsFrimleyBlue

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 10:53 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

If we go up, it will be the key reason that we had this mini pre season and flew into the final sprint bang ready

I think Nov to Feb might have played a part if we Don't more than 1 moved game.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 11:54 - Mar 21 with 1565 viewsIllinoisblue

This mini break will give us more energy for the physical demands of playing at Wembley. Trust the process

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 12:53 - Mar 21 with 1429 viewsRyorry

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 09:17 - Mar 21 by GavTWTD

If Luongo says he needs it, thats good enough for me: “I need this two-week break now. I probably needed it after Bolton, but that’s fine. I think that first week, of three games in a week, was tough, but I’m experienced enough to deal with it and adjust my position or be behind the ball rather than box-to-box.

“The Bolton game was tough as it was the most physical game I have been in for a while. They are big boys, they run a lot and were strong.

But we got through it. Players have helped me out, the manager has looked after me when he can. I’ll just try and keep going and getting stronger."

Didn't know he'd said that. Does swing the balance definitely to better to have postponed I'd say.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 13:21 - Mar 21 with 1312 viewsBigCommon

Think some of our lot will benefit... Davis, Morsy and Chappers, for instance, have played a lot of minutes this season...
Also feel that KM will welcome the prep time....
Think Morsy will benefit with an extra week to adjust to fasting,during Ramadan, which kicks in 22nd. Small issue, I know. But small percentages make big differences to top athletes...
Some players can get up to speed on the training ground, Ball and possibly Camara...
Think we've got a lot more leaders in the pack now.Both on the pitch and behind the scenes. Who won't allow complacency to set in...
I see it as a welcome break, nothing more...
I don't get this two week break being good at all on 13:48 - Mar 21 with 1201 viewsRyorry

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 13:21 - Mar 21 by BigCommon

Think some of our lot will benefit... Davis, Morsy and Chappers, for instance, have played a lot of minutes this season...
Also feel that KM will welcome the prep time....
Think Morsy will benefit with an extra week to adjust to fasting,during Ramadan, which kicks in 22nd. Small issue, I know. But small percentages make big differences to top athletes...
Some players can get up to speed on the training ground, Ball and possibly Camara...
Think we've got a lot more leaders in the pack now.Both on the pitch and behind the scenes. Who won't allow complacency to set in...
I see it as a welcome break, nothing more...

Good point Morsy in particular - I'd forgotten about Ramadan, which doesn't finish till April 21st this year. Restricted times of water intake (nothing for 14-16.5 hours in UK), not just food, must have some effect on an athlete's performance I'd have thought.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 14:14 - Mar 21 with 1064 viewsBlueStreak

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 10:53 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

I'd say the 6 away games between 17/12 - 14/02 will be the reason we didn't go up, not this.
I don't get this two week break being good at all on 14:17 - Mar 21 with 1046 viewsitfcjoe

I don't get this two week break being good at all on 14:14 - Mar 21 by BlueStreak

I'd say the 6 away games between 17/12 - 14/02 will be the reason we didn't go up, not this.

That will be long forgotten by then

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024