Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What if we met the hype? 10:55 - Aug 21 with 4023 viewsGeoffSentence

There has been a a lot of hype for the this Town team in the media, typified by Sky Sports News creaming themselves over how fantastic we have been on our return to the Championship before we had even kicked off in our third game.

There is some basis to it in the way we finished off last season but it is largely hyperbole at the moment.

But what if we did match up to the hype and not only make a good attempt at promotion, but by some magic actually get back to back promotions and end up in the Premier League. We'd surely have to overhaul the squad if we wanted to survice, or would being there for a single season and getting the parachute payments be enough in its own right at this point?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What if we met the hype? on 10:58 - Aug 21 with 3099 viewsJ2BLUE

This is a bit like worrying what you would spend lottery winnings on.

Going up at any time would be amazing for the future of the club.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What if we met the hype? on 10:58 - Aug 21 with 3094 viewsNthQldITFC

I'll whisper it and prepare myself for getting showered in dog dirt (as Bob Mortimer would say), but I'd rather we didn't go up this season and had a superb, progressive squad development year ready for promotion next season.

Incoming! (that's not player def info, but dog dos)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

What if we met the hype? on 11:00 - Aug 21 with 3064 viewswkj

I think January might be an eye opener for that question. I have no doubt that a handful of our players would be ready, but the big question would be how quick would GC20 be looking to sell. If we go slack on transfers and investment following promotion, that may answer that question.

Either way, promotion to the PL right now is probably a really rubbish time for non-parachute enhanced clubs. Saudi Arabia and Chelsea are skewing transfer values tremendously, so we'd have to be shrewd and smart.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What if we met the hype? on 11:03 - Aug 21 with 3035 viewsDeliasMashedPotato

What if we met the hype? on 10:58 - Aug 21 by NthQldITFC

I'll whisper it and prepare myself for getting showered in dog dirt (as Bob Mortimer would say), but I'd rather we didn't go up this season and had a superb, progressive squad development year ready for promotion next season.

whilst i agree with you and feel that we are not quite ready for the prem, i do fear that if we dont go up we are going to lose some stars. its inevitable at this level but it does worry me.
What if we met the hype? on 11:05 - Aug 21 with 3010 viewsJ2BLUE

No one is ever ready for the Prem. We could build for 10 years in the Championship and still not be ready.

I find it incredible that people say they would rather we didn't go up this season. Makes zero logical sense.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 11:15]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What if we met the hype? on 11:06 - Aug 21 with 2997 viewshomer_123

Is this the same Sky Sports that were quite disparaging during the commentary of the Sunderland match?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What if we met the hype? on 11:07 - Aug 21 with 2995 viewsGuthrum

What if we met the hype? on 11:00 - Aug 21 by wkj

I think January might be an eye opener for that question. I have no doubt that a handful of our players would be ready, but the big question would be how quick would GC20 be looking to sell. If we go slack on transfers and investment following promotion, that may answer that question.

Either way, promotion to the PL right now is probably a really rubbish time for non-parachute enhanced clubs. Saudi Arabia and Chelsea are skewing transfer values tremendously, so we'd have to be shrewd and smart.

However, the sheer momentum of a straight-through run with a settled team would do a bit to counter that.

Not saying we could necessarily compete with the big boys, but more than a handful for jaded lower-table players used to clinging on by their fingernails and counting each point towards survival.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What if we met the hype? on 11:07 - Aug 21 with 2987 viewsMattinLondon

Login to get fewer ads

What if we met the hype? on 11:08 - Aug 21 with 2972 viewswkj

What if we met the hype? on 11:07 - Aug 21 by Guthrum

However, the sheer momentum of a straight-through run with a settled team would do a bit to counter that.

Not saying we could necessarily compete with the big boys, but more than a handful for jaded lower-table players used to clinging on by their fingernails and counting each point towards survival.

Yes, Chelsea should be an easy 6 points

What if we met the hype? on 11:08 - Aug 21 with 2970 viewsjayessess

What if we met the hype? on 10:58 - Aug 21 by J2BLUE

Yeah, this. Even the scenario where you get promoted, then spend a year getting humped and come straight back down again gives you an opportunity to progress to another level.

Getting promoted without parachute payments require catching lightning in a bottle, but doing with that budget just requires you to make basically sound decisions.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What if we met the hype? on 11:12 - Aug 21 with 2927 viewsGuthrum

What if we met the hype? on 11:08 - Aug 21 by wkj

Yes, Chelsea should be an easy 6 points

Early season fixture against ManU would be fun.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What if we met the hype? on 11:17 - Aug 21 with 2851 viewsN2_Blue

What if we met the hype? on 11:05 - Aug 21 by J2BLUE

No one is ever ready for the Prem. We could build for 10 years in the Championship and still not be ready.

I find it incredible that people say they would rather we didn't go up this season. Makes zero logical sense.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 11:15]

totally agree with you on this one.

Anyone saying 'i'd rather not go up this season...' needs their head banging. It just doesn't make any sense full stop. There may never be another chance. No one knows what may happen the following season. Something could change...too many players leave, funding gets pulled, manager leaves meaning it doesn't happen and a slow decline sets in again. Unlikely true, but perfectly feasible.

If we were to go up this season, whoever is in the squad is, i say effing brilliant. Worry about that when it happens

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

What if we met the hype? on 11:20 - Aug 21 with 2838 viewsHerbivore

From memory, other teams that have won back to back promotions (thinking Saints and Scum, can't remember if Wolves were back to back or had a year down here first, think Sheff Utd were here for an extra season) have generally done well in the Prem. There's a winning mentality and a lot of momentum that comes with 2 years of success. We'd need to add to the squad but we've got some players who I'd back to be able to compete at that level and some others who might well surprise us. I mean, who thought lower league puddings like Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt would do well in the Championship, let alone more than hold their own in the Prem?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What if we met the hype? on 11:23 - Aug 21 with 2808 viewsSwansea_Blue

What if we met the hype? on 10:58 - Aug 21 by J2BLUE

Why worry? Everyone knows you should spend lottery winnings at the beer factory and stripper factory.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What if we met the hype? on 11:26 - Aug 21 with 2779 viewsBigCommon

Is it hype, or is it just a factual news story?
We have been excellent in our first few games. And we've got the points to prove it...
I don't take much notice of the tabloid media. We can see with our own eyes the good ( and the not so good), within the squad, atm. And the level of performance, some of which we can still improve on.
It's exciting sitting top of the division, after 3 games or 43 games. Not every sides fans will see their team in top spot this season..
Think the sensible Ipswich fans out there, will be enjoying the moment, and daring to believe (just a tiny bit)..Whilst at the same time acknowledging that we are still a work in progress..
I think we'll definitely be safe in this division. Which gives everyone a chance to breath, from top to bottom, within the club. Without panicking into our next moves, which will be much higher risk, than the 300k- 1.5m we were spending in L1...
It took a couple of seasons under GC investment, to escape L1, with a squad capable of holding their own in The division above...So I'm kind off expecting the same in this division...
If we did achieve the impossible, I could easily envisage a Nottingham Forest situation, where we'd need to make a wholesale changes, and go from a steady, calm environment. To something quite chaotic...
I'm sticking to the, one game at a time, mantra.. Enjoy the moments, trust the process and see where it takes us.. I am more confident these days, that, should we start to stumble. We have some excellent people at the helm, that will negotiate things, without pannick..
What if we met the hype? on 11:33 - Aug 21 with 2725 viewswkj

What if we met the hype? on 11:26 - Aug 21 by BigCommon

Is it hype, or is it just a factual news story?
We have been excellent in our first few games. And we've got the points to prove it...
I don't take much notice of the tabloid media. We can see with our own eyes the good ( and the not so good), within the squad, atm. And the level of performance, some of which we can still improve on.
It's exciting sitting top of the division, after 3 games or 43 games. Not every sides fans will see their team in top spot this season..
Think the sensible Ipswich fans out there, will be enjoying the moment, and daring to believe (just a tiny bit)..Whilst at the same time acknowledging that we are still a work in progress..
I think we'll definitely be safe in this division. Which gives everyone a chance to breath, from top to bottom, within the club. Without panicking into our next moves, which will be much higher risk, than the 300k- 1.5m we were spending in L1...
It took a couple of seasons under GC investment, to escape L1, with a squad capable of holding their own in The division above...So I'm kind off expecting the same in this division...
If we did achieve the impossible, I could easily envisage a Nottingham Forest situation, where we'd need to make a wholesale changes, and go from a steady, calm environment. To something quite chaotic...
I'm sticking to the, one game at a time, mantra.. Enjoy the moments, trust the process and see where it takes us.. I am more confident these days, that, should we start to stumble. We have some excellent people at the helm, that will negotiate things, without pannick..

I honestly think the sooner that people, including myself, ignore the fact we were in the 3rd division last year the more realistic picture will begin to become clear. We were clearly way above the quality of the L1 for much of last year and would have held our own in the Championship.

However, I similarly worry about sections of the fan base expecting promotion now. There is no reason we can't be in the fight, but I think its going to be over-the-top doomsaying if/when we start going through a rough patch.

What if we met the hype? on 11:36 - Aug 21 with 2700 viewsChurchman

What if we met the hype? on 11:23 - Aug 21 by Swansea_Blue

Why worry? Everyone knows you should spend lottery winnings at the beer factory and stripper factory.

Quite right!

Back to the point, if the chance came, you’d surely grab it. Wait a year? Nah, go for it and be the best you can be.

I don’t like the Premier League and the uncompetitiveness of it, but hey, it is what it is. Take your chance, the £££ and remember it’s a better place to be than rotting away in L1 getting humped by Northampton, Wimbledon and others.

Not going to happen, but we can dream, can’t we?
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 11:49]
What if we met the hype? on 11:44 - Aug 21 with 2666 viewsGeoffSentence

What if we met the hype? on 11:06 - Aug 21 by homer_123

Is this the same Sky Sports that were quite disparaging during the commentary of the Sunderland match?

HaHa! I was watching the Sunderland game not SSN, so no idea how they covered that one. On Saturday though they were drooling over us before the game, a little bit too much since we were only two games in.

What if we met the hype? on 11:47 - Aug 21 with 2646 viewsBiGDonnie

It's not by magic we're winning games at this level. We have the players capable and a management team who excel.

We're up for the fight this year. Not many Town fans seem to understand just how good we are. It's weird.

Instead of looking for negatives, or comparing us to other teams, get behind the boys, have some fun and let's see where we end up.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

What if we met the hype? on 11:53 - Aug 21 with 2600 viewsGeoffSentence

What if we met the hype? on 11:47 - Aug 21 by BiGDonnie

It's not by magic we're winning games at this level. We have the players capable and a management team who excel.

We're up for the fight this year. Not many Town fans seem to understand just how good we are. It's weird.

Instead of looking for negatives, or comparing us to other teams, get behind the boys, have some fun and let's see where we end up.

Are you saying I'm looking for negatives and not getting behind the boys?

You cad.

I will have satisfaction.

Dueling pistols at dawn. Underneath the big tree. Bring a gentleman friend to witness fair play.

What if we met the hype? on 11:58 - Aug 21 with 2577 viewsBiGDonnie

What if we met the hype? on 11:53 - Aug 21 by GeoffSentence

Are you saying I'm looking for negatives and not getting behind the boys?

You cad.

I will have satisfaction.

Dueling pistols at dawn. Underneath the big tree. Bring a gentleman friend to witness fair play.

No not aimed at you.

Sorry Geoff.

Put ya pistol down!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

We are 3-4 players away from a true promotion push in my mind... on 11:58 - Aug 21 with 2571 viewsunstableblue

... and perhaps we need some of the lessons we are going to learn this season, so we come back stronger.

I think teams are going to work us out fairly soon, and McKenna will need plan B, C. Which I think he has the ability to provide.

I think we may see Leicester, Saints.. hey maybe Norwich and Brum.

Can we keep up? well our lack of change and cohesion of squad - the continuity - may continue to be a difference engine, but not for much longer. As teams who've had more change gel - see Stoke.

I think Donacien quality and Clarke fitness came to mind Saturday. When Boradhead and Chaplin have a dip is the quality there? I'm just not convinced by Hutchison so far.. despite wanting him to succeed. He was better out right against Luton. Luongo is our key man currently.. can Taylor deputise soon?

I'd like some really savvy business.. maybe just 2.. but some difference makers

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What if we met the hype? on 11:59 - Aug 21 with 2531 viewsGeoffSentence

What if we met the hype? on 11:58 - Aug 21 by BiGDonnie

No not aimed at you.

Sorry Geoff.

Put ya pistol down!

Phew! I'm a rubbish shot.

What if we met the hype? on 12:11 - Aug 21 with 2464 viewsvilanovablue

What if we met the hype? on 11:03 - Aug 21 by DeliasMashedPotato

whilst i agree with you and feel that we are not quite ready for the prem, i do fear that if we dont go up we are going to lose some stars. its inevitable at this level but it does worry me.

We need to remember that the model of selling our better players was always going to be part of the process. If Davis/Broadhead have a cracking season their value has the potential to rocket now we are in the championship which ultimately gives us funds to invest and stay within FFP rules.
What if we met the hype? on 12:18 - Aug 21 with 2431 viewsburnbudgiesburn

What if we met the hype? on 12:11 - Aug 21 by vilanovablue

We need to remember that the model of selling our better players was always going to be part of the process. If Davis/Broadhead have a cracking season their value has the potential to rocket now we are in the championship which ultimately gives us funds to invest and stay within FFP rules.

I'd argue FFP headroom is more important than 'cash' as we have owners who can fund us already. I don't think we currently have the room with FFP to splash 5m on players.

It's easy to forget we've gone from signing Ollie Hawkins on a free and having marquee signings like James Norwood to buying promising players for £1m+ at third tier level in the space of 3 years.

We are going to end up selling Leif for £15-20m and its going to suck.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024