Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. 09:16 - Mar 28 with 7233 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I think most people tend to fall into the careers that they are in, but there is anything that people have got the itch to do before?

I always thought it would be quite interesting to work in an airport at some sort of capacity.

Poll: Best Football Song

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:01 - Mar 28 with 2597 viewsartsbossbeard

Careers teacher: Air Traffic Controller

Me: I really, really wanted to work for the RSPB at one of their nature reserves enthusing schoolkids with my encyclopedic knowledge of all thing ornithology.

Reality: Soul destroying, niche IT work dealing with suck ups & people who can't take responsibility for their actions or the lack of.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:04 - Mar 28 with 2586 viewschicoazul

I too always wanted to work at an airport. My dream is to be able to afford to jack in what I do and get a job at Stansted or on the Railways. Travel is a very romantic thing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:08 - Mar 28 with 2577 viewsGuthrum

I wanted to be an aircraft designer (fluffed the A Level maths). Or an archaeologist (took more A Levels but messed one up again).

Nowadays have an interest in green energy development (but lack the time/money/practicable ideas).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:12 - Mar 28 with 2556 viewsHorst3000

How strange I always wanted to work at an Airport in some capacity.

During my teenage years I was considering going into undertaking; must have been a Hormone imbalance...
Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:20 - Mar 28 with 2508 viewstaximan

would love to have worked with dogs in some capacity, maybe a rescue centre, if i ever won the lottery i would set up my own dog sanctuary and fund it myself

should have done the knowledge when i was much younger and worked as a black cab driver

reasonably happy doing what i'm doing, but the long hours are tough at times
Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:21 - Mar 28 with 2511 viewsbluelagos

Would love to have done sports journalism (who wouldn't) or travel journalism.

Ending up in accounting but then I got to visit shed loads of places most people don't (Week in Iceland, on expenses anyone?) and was well paid too.

But it's still 90% boring as arse tbh. Far better to pick a career in something you really enjoy, whatever that is.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:24 - Mar 28 with 2494 viewsKieran_Knows

Architect. Really wish I had gone Uni to do that.

In a complete ideal world, maybe something in football, like a scout, or analyst, although the chances would be near on 0 for either of those.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 10:25]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:27 - Mar 28 with 2477 viewsNo9

I have a friend who works in an airport - gets fed up by constantly being called a c*nt by the great British public
Login to get fewer ads

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:37 - Mar 28 with 2450 viewsRammo

Always wanted to become an archaeologist, love finding out the history of things.

Ended up as a Civil Engineer so still digging just in a different way. Have been lucky enough to be involved in a couple of archaeology digs on the sites we work on, so have got to try it!

Even when you feel down always remember its just a game.

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:38 - Mar 28 with 2440 viewsIpswichKnight

Wanted to be an Air Traffic Controller too when growing up many many many years ago now.

I actually do fraud analysis and anti fraud work for a gaming company after spending a decade doing the same for a well known Online Travel Agency. Am about to join a new company where i'll be designing and implementing fraud rules aimed to stop online fraud for there customers.
Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:40 - Mar 28 with 2427 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wanted to travel the world and did.

That had to stop and now I'm bored sh*tless and can't wait to retire so I can travel the world again!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:41 - Mar 28 with 2418 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:27 - Mar 28 by No9

I have a friend who works in an airport - gets fed up by constantly being called a c*nt by the great British public

I'm used to that anyway.

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:41 - Mar 28 with 2419 viewsAdmiralFunge

Some kind of creative writing job would have been good, I suppose. Sadly, I have realised, in my late 30s, that I may never get that gig up front for ITFC, altho my footballing skill set is fully aligned with our current style of play.

I'm fairly happy doing what I'm doing now, tho - I like my colleagues and most of my customers. Could earn a fair whack more if I headed into London, but commuting is not the one...

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:42 - Mar 28 with 2412 viewsTractorWood

I'm an accountant and it's pretty decent tbf, once you get out of practice and industry.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:49 - Mar 28 with 2389 viewsuncle

I always wanted to be a geologist. I did it at GCSE, but the only teacher retired, so the school wouldn't offer the A-Level, and no other local place would. So I did chemistry instead, and the rest is mediocrity.

I even did an elective in a geology subject at uni and got my highest mark of the year.

meh.

So now I read books about it.
Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:56 - Mar 28 with 2363 viewsJosebadleg

I'd like to have been a cartographer but due to technological advancements it's become a rather outdated profession.
Or I'd like to work in some capacity on the river

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:56 - Mar 28 with 2362 viewsWeWereZombies

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:21 - Mar 28 by bluelagos

Would love to have done sports journalism (who wouldn't) or travel journalism.

Ending up in accounting but then I got to visit shed loads of places most people don't (Week in Iceland, on expenses anyone?) and was well paid too.

But it's still 90% boring as arse tbh. Far better to pick a career in something you really enjoy, whatever that is.

OK, let's turn this thread into an accountants blagging good gigs topic - I once had to spend a week doing an internal audit in Nashville - out every night and got an easy job done in four days instead of five - so hired a gold paint pick-up truck and drove over to Memphis to visit Graceland and Sun Studios.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:58 - Mar 28 with 2353 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 10:41 - Mar 28 by AdmiralFunge

Some kind of creative writing job would have been good, I suppose. Sadly, I have realised, in my late 30s, that I may never get that gig up front for ITFC, altho my footballing skill set is fully aligned with our current style of play.

I'm fairly happy doing what I'm doing now, tho - I like my colleagues and most of my customers. Could earn a fair whack more if I headed into London, but commuting is not the one...

I studied Creative Writing at uni, although did too much partying to graduate, it put me off a career in writing if anything.

We used to have writers come in and give talks and they were all doom and gloom. I still write for my own pleasure, and haven't had the enjoyment drained out of me by having to produce a load of drivel on a deadline.

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:01 - Mar 28 with 2345 viewsLord_Lucan

Wish I had got into fish biology but ended up in aquatic imports, always wanted to discover a new species in The Amazon and have it named after me, Hyphessobrycon Lucanestrus.

Then you came along.

Got out of Aquatics in early 90's and then happy with new directions until 2011, now fed up.

Would like to open a Mod shop in Camden

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:04 - Mar 28 with 2333 viewsLower_North

Train Driver

The money is not shabby either..
Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:09 - Mar 28 with 2318 viewsLord_Lucan

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:04 - Mar 28 by Lower_North

Train Driver

The money is not shabby either..

Not sure they get paid what they used to. I have a friend who is a train driver and has been all his life so he has all the grandads rights and perks.

Suffered a very mild heart attack about 18 months ago and has been on the sick since on full pay. Now spends most days travelling the country on his free train travel and getting p1ssed in various towns and citys

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:11 - Mar 28 with 2305 viewsWeWereZombies

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:01 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

Wish I had got into fish biology but ended up in aquatic imports, always wanted to discover a new species in The Amazon and have it named after me, Hyphessobrycon Lucanestrus.

Then you came along.

Got out of Aquatics in early 90's and then happy with new directions until 2011, now fed up.

Would like to open a Mod shop in Camden

Fish biology to Mod shop! That is a whole different scale...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:13 - Mar 28 with 2296 viewsReuser_is_God

Architect.

Although in my current job I think they're all cnts.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:14 - Mar 28 with 2288 viewsBlueBadger

I often entertained the notion that I'd have liked to a written for one of the local papers. I'm even more upset I didn't now, given that I could have essentially gotten paid for doing what I do on here*, for free.

* - hereby defined as 'irritate fools with poorly thought through, possibly misinformed opinions'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jobs you wish you had occupied/would like to do. on 11:21 - Mar 28 with 2277 viewsDeano69

Photography without the need to make a living from it (probably doesnt define it as a job though) - not people, celebs or weddings but locations, landscapes/seascapes or events. Possibly lingerie photography to make ends meet??

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024