Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today 09:41 - Mar 31 with 752 viewsWeWereZombies

They have promoted, independently of the Scottish footballing authorities, Troon F.C. to the Premiership:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Stevenson_(footballer)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 10:09 - Mar 31 with 701 viewsGuthrum

That's why Wikipedia needs its editors, to spot those things and correct them (like I just did). Anyone can do it, the more there are, the more likely errors are to get seen and corrected.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 12:44 - Mar 31 with 648 viewsWeWereZombies

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 10:09 - Mar 31 by Guthrum

That's why Wikipedia needs its editors, to spot those things and correct them (like I just did). Anyone can do it, the more there are, the more likely errors are to get seen and corrected.

OK, well done (although the supporters of Troon F.C. might not thank you for their sudden demotion). I found the error when I was having my daily scan of The Scotsman and noticed a headline that said 'Ryan Stevenson comes out of retirement to signs for Troon' and thought 'wasn't he playing for us not long ago? So checked it on wikipedia. I am signed up for wikipedia and have added to pages but I find it a bit tricky, I need to get as up-skilled as you.

When Ritchie Havens died I did manage, in my own strange way of showing remembrance, to add to Bob Dylan's page about an anecdote Havens had given on stage about a lyric he just couldn't get right and complete to make a song so gave to someone else - who never acknowledged his contribution. Havens then played 'All Along the Watchtower'. So my recounting this stayed on wikipedia for about six hours and I then got an email from their chief legal guy telling me it had been removed, not to do it again and not to argue the point.

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 12:51 - Mar 31 with 631 viewsGeoffSentence

Some editor called Guthrum, remarkable coincidence there, has undone the dodgy link. You can big up Wiki again it is working as intended.

Edit: I see I am nearly 3 hours late there. I should really read through threads first so my posts don't appear foolish. Still at least I am not 12th_Man.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2017 12:53]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 12:55 - Mar 31 with 615 viewsGeoffSentence

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 10:09 - Mar 31 by Guthrum

I have sometimes felt the urge to change an l to a d in this wikipedia entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Ball,_City

"described as the world's oldest football song still in use today"

But it feels like vandalism even though I could justify it on accuracy grounds.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 12:59 - Mar 31 with 600 viewsGlasgowBlue

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 12:44 - Mar 31 by WeWereZombies

OK, well done (although the supporters of Troon F.C. might not thank you for their sudden demotion). I found the error when I was having my daily scan of The Scotsman and noticed a headline that said 'Ryan Stevenson comes out of retirement to signs for Troon' and thought 'wasn't he playing for us not long ago? So checked it on wikipedia. I am signed up for wikipedia and have added to pages but I find it a bit tricky, I need to get as up-skilled as you.

When Ritchie Havens died I did manage, in my own strange way of showing remembrance, to add to Bob Dylan's page about an anecdote Havens had given on stage about a lyric he just couldn't get right and complete to make a song so gave to someone else - who never acknowledged his contribution. Havens then played 'All Along the Watchtower'. So my recounting this stayed on wikipedia for about six hours and I then got an email from their chief legal guy telling me it had been removed, not to do it again and not to argue the point.

Love a bit of Richie Havens

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 13:00 - Mar 31 with 601 viewsWeWereZombies

Having defended wikipedia the other day I am a little crestfallen today on 12:55 - Mar 31 by GeoffSentence

I have sometimes felt the urge to change an l to a d in this wikipedia entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Ball,_City

"described as the world's oldest football song still in use today"

But it feels like vandalism even though I could justify it on accuracy grounds.

It would be very mild compared to what was done to Lee Trundle's page some years back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024