Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feeling conflicted here lads 08:25 - Jul 30 with 4510 viewschicoazul

On the one hand the window shuts in less than 2 weeks and Hurst has spent roughly what Mick spent in the last 2 summer windows despite the money from Webster FIFA and Knight and despite many people telling me confidently that Hurst can spend what he raises, this also despite Marcus *telling us all in his video* that the financials won't change. So that makes me feel annoyed but happily smug that it looks like I may be right that no money of note will be spent.

On the other hand we looked really good Saturday and Hurst is clearly a man with a plan. The Three Twins in midfield are awesome, Bart is signed up, Woolf looks a player, the happy nutter Jonas is back, and Harrison looks pretty good. The team actually pass the ball to each other! Through midfield! A couple of defenders added and our injured players back and we look really set!

So I dont know whether to be highly annoyed at Evans or very happy with him for bringing Hurst in. So imma keep my powder dry until we see what happens with Waghorn and other comings and goings in the next few days. Interesting times brothers and sisters.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2018 8:26]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:31 - Jul 30 with 3134 viewsSteve_M

From what I've seen of pre-season so far - Barnet live and most of Saturday watching a stream - we will have a lot of possession and then get caught on the break at times this season. When the opposition player is someone like Arnautivic then they will score.

Therefore, we need to strengthen defensively to give Hurst's style a chance. If Evans isn't prepared to fund that properly that then he undermines his new manager straight away. And as encouraging as a lot of what Hurst has done is, we've achieved nothing yet.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2018 8:51]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:34 - Jul 30 with 3090 viewsHerbivore

Let's see what the next 10 days brings. I'm expecting 2 or 3 more signings. The market has been pretty slow generally but once it picks up we'll see a domino effect.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:39 - Jul 30 with 3069 viewsitfcjoe

I think there is more money to spend, and overall budget will remain similar - but Hurst is just doing it a different way.

Mick was happy to pay £10k a week for experienced Champ players for 2 year deals, whereas Hurst will spend £500k and pay £5k a week for a couple of years - keeping the numbers easy.

It frustrates me that Evans can't see you need to speculate a bit to accumulate - when there are examples like Webster staring him straight in the face. I'm not saying go and spend millions on proven Championship players with wage packets to match, but get these deals done in lower league and back your manager.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:39 - Jul 30 with 3056 viewsReuser_is_God

Obviously we need to get some bodies in but if we don’t then at least we’ll get to witness another #EvansOut breakdown from Rommy.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:41 - Jul 30 with 3040 viewsReuser_is_God

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:39 - Jul 30 by itfcjoe

I think there is more money to spend, and overall budget will remain similar - but Hurst is just doing it a different way.

Mick was happy to pay £10k a week for experienced Champ players for 2 year deals, whereas Hurst will spend £500k and pay £5k a week for a couple of years - keeping the numbers easy.

It frustrates me that Evans can't see you need to speculate a bit to accumulate - when there are examples like Webster staring him straight in the face. I'm not saying go and spend millions on proven Championship players with wage packets to match, but get these deals done in lower league and back your manager.

I’d also imagine our wage bill right now is significantly lower than what it was a few mo the back before Mick & the released lads left.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:49 - Jul 30 with 2995 viewstextbackup

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:41 - Jul 30 by Reuser_is_God

I’d also imagine our wage bill right now is significantly lower than what it was a few mo the back before Mick & the released lads left.

our wage bill must be seriously low considering the wages them lot were on.

IF we hold on to Waghorn id like to see him offered a new contract and wages bumped up with that in mind. give him another 5-8k a week, also would bump his price up (if he continues to play well between now and xmas)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:49 - Jul 30 with 2993 viewschicoazul

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:31 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

From what I've seen of pre-season so far - Barnet live and most of Saturday watching a stream - we will have a lot of possession and then get caught on the break at times this season. When the opposition player is someone like Arnautivic then they will score.

Therefore, we need to strengthen defensively to give Hurst's style a chance. If Evans isn't prepared to fund that properly that then he undermines his new manager straight away. And as encouraging as a lot of what Hurst has done is, we've achieved nothing yet.

Thanks luv, that seems to be the sentiment of most people who have seen a lot of pre-season. We definitely need to strengthen at the back, which will require money to be spent, which is where the worries begin. I can't imagine Hurst would have sanctioned the Webster sale without having assurances that he would be able to spend and yet here we are, 6 days from the start with no replacement.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:50 - Jul 30 with 2987 viewsWestcountryblue

Personally, I don’t think any of our full backs have the quality that PH is looking for on the ball. Jonas has the work rate and the nastiness, but looked out of his depth against WH in tight spaces and under pressure.

Hopefully Tilt will add some much need pace and presence in the heart of the defence and should improve our distribution to the likes of Dozzell, Downes etc, in the midfield trio.

Edwards and Harrison look a cracking bit of business, but again, I doubt whether PH feels he has the quality on the left side of the front three.

Personally I think we need a RB, CB, LW and Striker before the window closes. Hopefully we can do this with Waghorn staying, Tilt et al signing and a couple of good loan additions being brought in. Then we should focus on getting Huws, Bish and Rowe back to augment our numbers.
Login to get fewer ads

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:52 - Jul 30 with 2960 viewshomer_123

I don't know why you would feel smug.

Anyone that thought the financial shackles were coming off with a new manager hasn't understood all the comms and messages that have come from the Club before and after Hurst was appointed.

Evans and ITFC stated very clearly that any new incumbent would be working under the same constraints as Mick. Simple and very clear.

This causes an issue - Hurst needs to make further changes (and he's stated this clearly) but needs to raise funds to do this, which is why you'll see Waghorn leave. Not a problem per say but this is Evans doing the business and guess what, we are a few weeks away from the closing date of the window with the liklihood of Waghorn leaving and us scrambling around to get a deal done for a replacement.

As I posted yesterday, things have changed but remained the same.

Hurst 'looks' promising in his approach but is quite likely to be undermined by our esteemed owner. I hope note but I can easily see it happening.

NOTE: I've never advocated spending stupid money on fees and wages but we have to back Hurst over and above what we did for Mick.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:53 - Jul 30 with 2946 viewshomer_123

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:49 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

Thanks luv, that seems to be the sentiment of most people who have seen a lot of pre-season. We definitely need to strengthen at the back, which will require money to be spent, which is where the worries begin. I can't imagine Hurst would have sanctioned the Webster sale without having assurances that he would be able to spend and yet here we are, 6 days from the start with no replacement.

The constant is Evans and how he operates. Hurst will likely have been given assurances but we rely on Evans doing the deals.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:55 - Jul 30 with 2929 viewshomer_123

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:31 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

Steve - Evans has been clear as crystal, any new manager would operate under the same financial constraints as Mick.

Nothing we have seen suggests anything different, which is why Waghorn will likely go - so that Hurst can fund incomings. However, as always, we leave it too late.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:58 - Jul 30 with 2905 viewshomer_123

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:50 - Jul 30 by Westcountryblue

Personally, I don’t think any of our full backs have the quality that PH is looking for on the ball. Jonas has the work rate and the nastiness, but looked out of his depth against WH in tight spaces and under pressure.

Hopefully Tilt will add some much need pace and presence in the heart of the defence and should improve our distribution to the likes of Dozzell, Downes etc, in the midfield trio.

Edwards and Harrison look a cracking bit of business, but again, I doubt whether PH feels he has the quality on the left side of the front three.

Personally I think we need a RB, CB, LW and Striker before the window closes. Hopefully we can do this with Waghorn staying, Tilt et al signing and a couple of good loan additions being brought in. Then we should focus on getting Huws, Bish and Rowe back to augment our numbers.

As much as I would love that to happen, I can't see that amount of new bodies without Waggers going.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:03 - Jul 30 with 2877 viewsAlong

Is this post just for 'lads' or are the opposite sex allowed to comment?
Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:03 - Jul 30 with 2874 viewsSWGF

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:50 - Jul 30 by Westcountryblue

Agree with your first paragraph. IMO, the rightback is more of a problem than leftback.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:03 - Jul 30 with 2876 viewsWestcountryblue

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:53 - Jul 30 by homer_123

The constant is Evans and how he operates. Hurst will likely have been given assurances but we rely on Evans doing the deals.

In theory the money should be there, both in terms of fees and wages given that we have sold Webster and received significant compensation for two of our young prospects. We’ve also let go a lot of high earners and not replaced the 3-4 loaners we finished the season with last year.

Like you say, PH will have identified his targets right from the get go, but it is all down to Marcus to manage and negotiate these deals, to the point where the player is holding up an ITFC scarf on the club website. Really hope ME doesn’t let PH down, as he’s made a cracking start so far and looks to be a manager with real potential to do some damage in this league.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2018 9:12]
Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:15 - Jul 30 with 2822 viewschristiand

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:34 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

Let's see what the next 10 days brings. I'm expecting 2 or 3 more signings. The market has been pretty slow generally but once it picks up we'll see a domino effect.

As you say Herbivore, I think a lot are holding off until they get a ready made replacement in before deciding to sell. However, a number of other clubs are adopting the same approach so a bit of a Mexican stand off at the moment.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2018 9:17]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:16 - Jul 30 with 2815 viewschicoazul

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:55 - Jul 30 by homer_123

Steve - Evans has been clear as crystal, any new manager would operate under the same financial constraints as Mick.

Nothing we have seen suggests anything different, which is why Waghorn will likely go - so that Hurst can fund incomings. However, as always, we leave it too late.

He has indeed been crystal clear but several people here and elsewhere keep telling me Hurst can spend what he raises. This is the narrative. I keep saying this wont happen hence my unbearable smugness.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:18 - Jul 30 with 2800 viewschicoazul

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:03 - Jul 30 by SWGF

Agree with your first paragraph. IMO, the rightback is more of a problem than leftback.

Definitely. Spence is not technically good enough to see as much of the ball as he does. I accept Jonas isn't much better but he makes up for it in other ways.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:19 - Jul 30 with 2789 viewschristiand

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:18 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

Definitely. Spence is not technically good enough to see as much of the ball as he does. I accept Jonas isn't much better but he makes up for it in other ways.

So, do we think Emmanuel is completely out of the picture?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:20 - Jul 30 with 2792 viewsSteve_M

Feeling conflicted here lads on 08:55 - Jul 30 by homer_123

Yes, he has been clear. That doesn't change the fact that it's a strategy for stagnation in the medium-term.

The contrast with the profligacy shown to Magilton, Keane and Jewell remains intensely frustrating.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:26 - Jul 30 with 2738 viewschicoazul

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:19 - Jul 30 by christiand

So, do we think Emmanuel is completely out of the picture?

No but it seems Cotter is. If we sign another defender for the position I could see either Spence leaving or Emmanuel going out on loan.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:26 - Jul 30 with 2733 viewshomer_123

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:20 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

Yes, he has been clear. That doesn't change the fact that it's a strategy for stagnation in the medium-term.

The contrast with the profligacy shown to Magilton, Keane and Jewell remains intensely frustrating.

Oh I completely agree.

I've been saying this well before we appointed Hurst and well before talk of Mick leaving. As decent an appointment Hurst is - without better support from Evans - we simply require Hurst to perform a miracle in the same way we needed Mick to do so.

It's a different approach in terms of team approach and the way we play but no difference in how that manager is supported.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:27 - Jul 30 with 2729 viewshomer_123

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:16 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

He has indeed been crystal clear but several people here and elsewhere keep telling me Hurst can spend what he raises. This is the narrative. I keep saying this wont happen hence my unbearable smugness.

Certainly, at the moment, it's clear we haven't spent anything close to what we've raised - which certainly leaves that question wide open.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:29 - Jul 30 with 2718 viewshomer_123

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:26 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

No but it seems Cotter is. If we sign another defender for the position I could see either Spence leaving or Emmanuel going out on loan.

Gutted if Cotter is out of the picture, what little we saw of him, he showed how good he was on the ball - looked like he really could play.

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:31 - Jul 30 with 2709 viewschicoazul

Feeling conflicted here lads on 09:29 - Jul 30 by homer_123

Gutted if Cotter is out of the picture, what little we saw of him, he showed how good he was on the ball - looked like he really could play.

I feel similarly but Hurst sees him every day and has worked with him for a few weeks now, same as he has with Drinan, and clearly doesnt think much to either right now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024