Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Britain 2019 12:01 - Mar 4 with 3624 viewsSteve_M

This is how the state treats it's most vulnerable people. It's an utter disgrace.

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/03/04/m-broken-britain-austerit

Cheers Cameron and Osborne.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Britain 2019 on 12:11 - Mar 4 with 2493 viewsPendejo

Don't know which would be correct up or down arrow... surely it should be down arrow for the back story or up arrow for highlighting story.

I have a pre-Cameron anecdote regarding disability and benefits;-

One of my [great] aunts used to have to present herself every now and again at a medical establishment of the benefit agency's [of the day] choice [DWP, DHSS or whatever], one of these times my father accompanied her, he regularly retells the following anecdote.

The doctor [as it was then] doing the assessment took one look at her, looked down at his paper work and quickly signed it off and handed it to her saying;
"Do these people really think that your legs will miraculously grow back again?"

She'd had her legs amputated in the early 70s [can't recall why] and was confined to a wheel chair.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 12:16]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Britain 2019 on 12:12 - Mar 4 with 2485 viewsjeera

As if it isn't enough that there's illness to cope with, there is also the State to fight every inch of the way.

If you're in that position you would think you would receive help and support, whereas the reality is, you are treated like the enemy at every turn.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Britain 2019 on 12:12 - Mar 4 with 2480 viewsDarth_Koont

Good and hugely depressing article.

What have we become? This is the opposite of progress.

Pronouns: He/Him

Britain 2019 on 12:19 - Mar 4 with 2458 viewsBlueBadger

In other news, Theresa May's pledge of £1.6bn over seven years for deprived areas represents a serious cut in money(from £1.3BN in 2014 alone - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36561084) previously being spent on deprived areas by the EU.
Austerity is still alive and kicking, folks and it's going to get worse.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 12:23]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Britain 2019 on 12:30 - Mar 4 with 2417 viewsDarth_Koont

Britain 2019 on 12:19 - Mar 4 by BlueBadger

In other news, Theresa May's pledge of £1.6bn over seven years for deprived areas represents a serious cut in money(from £1.3BN in 2014 alone - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36561084) previously being spent on deprived areas by the EU.
Austerity is still alive and kicking, folks and it's going to get worse.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 12:23]

Indeed. Coupled with a ridiculously small amount given to tackle this, May's blithe assertion that prosperity has been unfairly spread for too long is stunning in its lack of self-awareness and responsibility.

You have to wonder if she's all there. Certainly, she seems to be living in a dream world.

Britain 2019 on 12:39 - Mar 4 with 2390 viewsjeera

Britain 2019 on 12:11 - Mar 4 by Pendejo

Don't know which would be correct up or down arrow... surely it should be down arrow for the back story or up arrow for highlighting story.

I have a pre-Cameron anecdote regarding disability and benefits;-

One of my [great] aunts used to have to present herself every now and again at a medical establishment of the benefit agency's [of the day] choice [DWP, DHSS or whatever], one of these times my father accompanied her, he regularly retells the following anecdote.

The doctor [as it was then] doing the assessment took one look at her, looked down at his paper work and quickly signed it off and handed it to her saying;
"Do these people really think that your legs will miraculously grow back again?"

She'd had her legs amputated in the early 70s [can't recall why] and was confined to a wheel chair.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 12:16]

I don't know how long ago that was, but now she would have to undergo a full assessment by a [so-called] Healthcare Professional.

In this assessment the assessor wouldn't focus on her [lack of] legs, but instead any thing she could do. Anything at all positive whilst deliberately ignoring any problems the lady may have had: Lifting her head, raising her hands, being able to read a board...

The final report would then be published with the focus on repetition of any positives and complete omission of any health issues.

By the time the assessor has completed his/her work the lady would sound like a super fit human whose sole existence is to con the state.

Britain 2019 on 12:46 - Mar 4 with 2351 viewsfooters

The government setting an arbitrary % of people to fail assessments is an absolute fcking disgrace. How on earth can they justify that? You may have a ballpark figure that you would like to cut, as an aspiration in pounds shillings and pence, but what if (as is the case) many of those that you are failing are actually unable to work?

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Britain 2019 on 12:46 - Mar 4 with 2351 viewsHarry_Palmer

A very sad read that. They say you can judge a society by how it treats its most vulnerable people, I thinks its fair to say we have a long long way to go.
Login to get fewer ads

Britain 2019 on 12:46 - Mar 4 with 2349 viewsClapham_Junction

It's particularly galling when you recall how some people celebrated the 2015 election result (and the opportunity for the government to continue to stamp on the faces of the most vulnerable) like a world cup qualifier win.

Does anyone still believe that the country would be in a worse position than it is now if we had ended up with a Labour-SNP government with Ed Milliband as PM?
Britain 2019 on 12:48 - Mar 4 with 2330 viewsWithnail

Britain 2019 on 12:39 - Mar 4 by jeera

I don't know how long ago that was, but now she would have to undergo a full assessment by a [so-called] Healthcare Professional.

In this assessment the assessor wouldn't focus on her [lack of] legs, but instead any thing she could do. Anything at all positive whilst deliberately ignoring any problems the lady may have had: Lifting her head, raising her hands, being able to read a board...

The final report would then be published with the focus on repetition of any positives and complete omission of any health issues.

By the time the assessor has completed his/her work the lady would sound like a super fit human whose sole existence is to con the state.

That's a good thing then. The goal is to get people into work.

I worked with a bloke who was confined to a wheelchair, but he still managed to do a good job (sitting obvs)
Britain 2019 on 12:51 - Mar 4 with 2317 viewsjeera

Britain 2019 on 12:48 - Mar 4 by Withnail

I worked with a bloke who was confined to a wheelchair, but he still managed to do a good job (sitting obvs)

PIP.

Do learn to understand the things you try to make remarks on.

There's a good boy.

Britain 2019 on 12:54 - Mar 4 with 2290 viewsHarry_Palmer

WTF?
Britain 2019 on 12:55 - Mar 4 with 2286 viewsjeera

Britain 2019 on 12:54 - Mar 4 by Harry_Palmer

WTF?

The bloke prides himself on being a dick.

Waste of space.

Britain 2019 on 12:57 - Mar 4 with 2263 viewsWithnail

Britain 2019 on 12:55 - Mar 4 by jeera

The bloke prides himself on being a dick.

Waste of space.

Chill out Mr Angry.
Britain 2019 on 13:11 - Mar 4 with 2201 viewshammo56

My daughter is disabled and is currently on DLA awaiting her PIP assessment and also in the support group of ESA.
She belongs to various disabled support groups and I'm amazed the number of people that she knows who have been either declared fit for work when they are clearly not or had their Pip award decreased or stopped altogether. The one's who have been particularly hardest hit are those suffering from mental health issues.
As has already been stated one of the main problems with the assessments is that the people doing them are not even qualified in the particular field of which they are making decisions on, for example physios doing mental health assessments.
With regards to my daughter I'm ready to fight her cause if required. Been used to it since when she was at Primary school and the LEA wanted to reduce her support hours and we ended up going to the High Court in London and won our battle.
She is fortunate as my wife and myself are still around to fight on her behalf but unfortunately many people don't have anybody to support them and end up giving in.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 13:12]
Britain 2019 on 13:19 - Mar 4 with 2169 viewsChampionship

This might sound controversial but I genuinely don't mean it to be. Isn't this just a more localised version of the problem the world as a whole has had for a long time? We care more because it is in our backyard but what about the world's poorest people? If a society is judged on its poorest, why isn't the world judged on its poorest?

Again I want to point out I am not trying to be a cock or use one example to downplay the other. Whoever wrote that blog and the people like them have been failed by this government and previous governments since austerity began and these things were cut to the bone to achieve some arbitrary target. We need a complete review not just in this country but across the world. Slashing budgets which don't have room for cuts is not the answer. We need to have a discussion about benefits. Do we want to treat everyone like a criminal because a tiny minority may well be trying to screw over the system or do we realise that benefit fraud costs peanuts and it a price worth paying for a system that is fit for purpose and doesn't demonise people? We also need to look beyond our borders. Our foreign aid budget needs to be increased and reviewed. I may well be naive but if a charity like Oxfam can allow people to buy actual 'gifts' for people in need in foreign countries like animals, medicine, food, clean water, library books for schools etc then what is our excuse as a rich country for not bothering?

I'm sorry if anyone takes this in a way it wasn't intended. I am definitely not downplaying that person's situation. I just can't understand why we only care (generally as a society - not aimed at the original poster) when it is in our country.
Britain 2019 on 13:24 - Mar 4 with 2149 viewsfactual_blue

Britain 2019 on 13:19 - Mar 4 by Championship

This might sound controversial but I genuinely don't mean it to be. Isn't this just a more localised version of the problem the world as a whole has had for a long time? We care more because it is in our backyard but what about the world's poorest people? If a society is judged on its poorest, why isn't the world judged on its poorest?

Again I want to point out I am not trying to be a cock or use one example to downplay the other. Whoever wrote that blog and the people like them have been failed by this government and previous governments since austerity began and these things were cut to the bone to achieve some arbitrary target. We need a complete review not just in this country but across the world. Slashing budgets which don't have room for cuts is not the answer. We need to have a discussion about benefits. Do we want to treat everyone like a criminal because a tiny minority may well be trying to screw over the system or do we realise that benefit fraud costs peanuts and it a price worth paying for a system that is fit for purpose and doesn't demonise people? We also need to look beyond our borders. Our foreign aid budget needs to be increased and reviewed. I may well be naive but if a charity like Oxfam can allow people to buy actual 'gifts' for people in need in foreign countries like animals, medicine, food, clean water, library books for schools etc then what is our excuse as a rich country for not bothering?

I'm sorry if anyone takes this in a way it wasn't intended. I am definitely not downplaying that person's situation. I just can't understand why we only care (generally as a society - not aimed at the original poster) when it is in our country.

Because our charming tory party demonises these people as scroungers and scum.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Britain 2019 on 13:25 - Mar 4 with 2139 viewsChampionship

I don't think anyone would mind if the assessments were fair, decided on a case by case basis and if in doubt, the benefit given to the person being assessed.

If you were very ill and your assessor was looking to meet their target you might be less of a cock about it.

Why do so many people lack the ability to have basic empathy?

The world needs a karma drive.
Britain 2019 on 13:28 - Mar 4 with 2115 viewsDarth_Koont

Britain 2019 on 13:19 - Mar 4 by Championship

The world is becoming a better place for people by almost all social and health metrics.

It's in pockets like the UK that we're taking a backward step with punitive policies like this, increased child poverty and people even starting to die younger in some areas.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 13:28]

Britain 2019 on 13:29 - Mar 4 with 2096 viewsWithnail

Britain 2019 on 13:25 - Mar 4 by Championship

I don't think anyone would mind if the assessments were fair, decided on a case by case basis and if in doubt, the benefit given to the person being assessed.

If you were very ill and your assessor was looking to meet their target you might be less of a cock about it.

Why do so many people lack the ability to have basic empathy?

The world needs a karma drive.

Some people are not fit to work, that's true. Will always be the case.

Those people need state support.
Britain 2019 on 13:35 - Mar 4 with 2079 viewsChampionship

Britain 2019 on 13:28 - Mar 4 by Darth_Koont

The world is becoming a better place for people by almost all social and health metrics.

It's in pockets like the UK that we're taking a backward step with punitive policies like this, increased child poverty and people even starting to die younger in some areas.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 13:28]

True. I still don't think we do enough as one of the so called richest and most influential countries in the world.

The Tories are likely to win the next election. Despite announcing the end of austerity it is likely this sort of thing will continue for a good while yet. Especially when the more they cut the more decent people take the job on with food banks etc.
Britain 2019 on 13:36 - Mar 4 with 2067 viewsChampionship

Britain 2019 on 13:29 - Mar 4 by Withnail

Some people are not fit to work, that's true. Will always be the case.

Those people need state support.

So you would agree with abolishing targets to get people back into work?
Britain 2019 on 13:46 - Mar 4 with 2004 viewsWithnail

Britain 2019 on 13:36 - Mar 4 by Championship

So you would agree with abolishing targets to get people back into work?

Agreed. They should only deal with the facts.

If someone can only walk 50 yards, it shouldn't mean they are put on the scrapheap. They probably can do a job.
Britain 2019 on 13:56 - Mar 4 with 1969 viewsitfcjoe

Britain 2019 on 12:30 - Mar 4 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. Coupled with a ridiculously small amount given to tackle this, May's blithe assertion that prosperity has been unfairly spread for too long is stunning in its lack of self-awareness and responsibility.

You have to wonder if she's all there. Certainly, she seems to be living in a dream world.

All she cares about is getting her deal through

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Britain 2019 on 13:58 - Mar 4 with 1964 viewseireblue

Britain 2019 on 13:46 - Mar 4 by Withnail

Agreed. They should only deal with the facts.

If someone can only walk 50 yards, it shouldn't mean they are put on the scrapheap. They probably can do a job.

You obviously didn't understand jeera’s initial reply to you, thus making his subsequent comments, more accurate that not.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024