Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge 19:00 - Aug 21 with 3590 viewsCopfordBlue

Best manager we’ve had since Sir Bobby but he only got a fraction of the backing of Keane or Cook.

The more time that passes since he left, the greater his achievements seem. The football was unwatchable towards the end but in terms of getting the most out of his resources he was brilliant.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:06 - Aug 21 with 2870 viewsHighgateBlue

There's just a basic dichotomy between those who consider results to be more important, and those who consider aesthetics to be more important. I think I might find supporting Ipswich less frustrating if I just keep reminding myself of that.

Plainly we would not be in the mess we are currently in if we'd kept Mick, but some favoured aesthetics over results, and so he had to go. He was never going to put up with the vitriol directed towards him. I fundamentally disagree with those who consider performances to be more important than results, but it's their right to feel that way.

Some openly wanted attractive football in league one rather than unattractive football in the championship. Some didn't openly say so, but it was the inevitable conclusion to draw from their hatred of Mick.

I wonder now how many would prefer us to be playing pretty football in League 2 rather than adopt a more pragmatic approach and have more success in League 1.
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:10 - Aug 21 with 2840 viewsJ2BLUE

What is the point in posts like this? He isn't the manager. He wasn't even the last manager. He wasn't even the last manager before the last manager.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:10 - Aug 21 with 2830 viewsbluejacko

Move on🙄
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:13 - Aug 21 with 2808 viewsFtnfwest

The best manager we’ve had in the last 20 years but his football was unwatchable kind of sums up the last 20 years. Apart from Jim’s team slapping McCarthy’s team at home after they’d tried to elbow us out of the game of course.
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:14 - Aug 21 with 2785 viewschrismakin

Christ. Not only is it impossible for people to forget about last season. We are now going years back.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:16 - Aug 21 with 2768 viewsChurchman

He’s not here any more. It’s history. Let it go. He had his time and by the end, his team was unwatchable

In a discussion about best ITFC he is well down the list. It’s not either good football or results. You can have both as has been shown in the past. His predecessors and successors have been inept beyond belief. It’s like they’ve been paid to do the worst job they possibly can. Evans was the common denominator.
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:19 - Aug 21 with 2744 viewsKeaneish

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:10 - Aug 21 by J2BLUE

What is the point in posts like this? He isn't the manager. He wasn't even the last manager. He wasn't even the last manager before the last manager.

Ridiculous isn’t it? There’s a small band who won’t let it go for whatever reason with consistent inflammatory statements. Take the OPs for example putting MM ahead of Burley and Royle. Whether MM is even better than Magilton is questionable from a football perspective although I’d argue MM did a lot more for the club than Jim.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:25 - Aug 21 with 2701 viewsChurchman

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:19 - Aug 21 by Keaneish

Ridiculous isn’t it? There’s a small band who won’t let it go for whatever reason with consistent inflammatory statements. Take the OPs for example putting MM ahead of Burley and Royle. Whether MM is even better than Magilton is questionable from a football perspective although I’d argue MM did a lot more for the club than Jim.

He might have produced a better first team, but from Dyer’s interview I didn’t get the impression he did anything outside that or for the people involved like KD.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 19:26]
Login to get fewer ads

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:27 - Aug 21 with 2683 viewslegoman

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:37 - Aug 21 with 2626 viewsMeadowlark

We'd have 20 points by now if Mr Robson had this squad, 30 if Alf had it.
I know it's irrelevant rubbish, but you started it.
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:39 - Aug 21 with 2620 viewsRyorry

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/may/22/newsstory.sport2

"Tues 22nd May 2001
Ipswich's George Burley has won the manager of the season award, the first time in 26 years it has gone to someone other than the manager of the league champions.

Burley beat off the claims of Sir Alex Ferguson, who led Manchester United to their third successive championship, and Gérard Houllier, who guided Liverpool to three trophies and a Champions League place.

Ipswich finished fifth in the Premiership and qualified for the Uefa Cup less than a year after winning the First Division play-off. Aston Villa's Ron Saunders took the award in 1975 for winning promotion to the top flight as well as the League Cup.

The League Managers' Association award is voted on by a 16-man panel made up of the game's governing bodies, players, media, referees and sponsors, who decided on Friday.

"On a small budget George Burley has bought and sold wisely and moulded a team that has played some of the most attractive football in the Premiership," a panel spokesman said. "To survive against the big names and big spenders as a newly promoted club is impressive, to take that side to a European qualification spot is outstanding." "

Poll: Time of the annunciation

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:42 - Aug 21 with 2582 viewsdominiciawful

"Best manager we’ve had since Sir Bobby"

lol

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:48 - Aug 21 with 2544 viewsCoastalblue

If Lambert was still here we'd probably be top, look at the last two seasons. Doesn't mean he should be still here though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:54 - Aug 21 with 2502 viewsWickets

Quite honestly this in my opinion is a pathetic post .
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 21:58 - Aug 21 with 2298 viewsRyorry

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:42 - Aug 21 by dominiciawful

lol

Bizarre isn't it, got several uppies as well. Can only conclude that some people either have extremely short memories, are youngsters who don't know much of our history, or simply can't see things objectively.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 22:14 - Aug 21 with 2245 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 21:58 - Aug 21 by Ryorry

Bizarre isn't it, got several uppies as well. Can only conclude that some people either have extremely short memories, are youngsters who don't know much of our history, or simply can't see things objectively.

What some people seem to forget is that a "throwaway" comment online, whether it be on an internet forum or twitter or wherever, is there in perpetuity for anyone with the time and will to search for it.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 23:42 - Aug 21 with 2121 viewswitchdoctor

idiot.
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 03:35 - Aug 22 with 2013 viewshoppy

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:37 - Aug 21 by Meadowlark

We'd have 20 points by now if Mr Robson had this squad, 30 if Alf had it.
I know it's irrelevant rubbish, but you started it.

We’d have at least 40 if John Duncan had it…

No more bizarre a claim than the OP, in my defence.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 04:30 - Aug 22 with 2003 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

On some level, I agree.

But we’d also have around 11k through the doors each week and every Thursday be jabbed at by our own manager in the press conferences.

It was time for him to move on. Some on TWTD should too..

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 07:44 - Aug 22 with 1873 viewswkj

Lets just forget about Burley

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 08:42 - Aug 22 with 1786 viewsElephantintheRoom

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:39 - Aug 21 by Ryorry

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/may/22/newsstory.sport2

"Tues 22nd May 2001
Ipswich's George Burley has won the manager of the season award, the first time in 26 years it has gone to someone other than the manager of the league champions.

Burley beat off the claims of Sir Alex Ferguson, who led Manchester United to their third successive championship, and Gérard Houllier, who guided Liverpool to three trophies and a Champions League place.

Ipswich finished fifth in the Premiership and qualified for the Uefa Cup less than a year after winning the First Division play-off. Aston Villa's Ron Saunders took the award in 1975 for winning promotion to the top flight as well as the League Cup.

The League Managers' Association award is voted on by a 16-man panel made up of the game's governing bodies, players, media, referees and sponsors, who decided on Friday.

"On a small budget George Burley has bought and sold wisely and moulded a team that has played some of the most attractive football in the Premiership," a panel spokesman said. "To survive against the big names and big spenders as a newly promoted club is impressive, to take that side to a European qualification spot is outstanding." "

Did he win it the following season?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 08:47 - Aug 22 with 1765 viewswkj

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 08:42 - Aug 22 by ElephantintheRoom

Did he win it the following season?

Did Mick ever win it with us?

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 08:57 - Aug 22 with 1750 viewsChurchman

We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 19:42 - Aug 21 by dominiciawful

lol

That put Burley, Lyall and Royle firmly in their places. Jeez. As it goes, aside from those three, I preferred Jim to McCarthy. Whilst not being world beaters, we played the right way and won plenty of games, especially at home.
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 09:00 - Aug 22 with 1736 viewsbraveblue

Football unwatchable yet great achievement? What utter nonsense.
We’d have at least 10 points by now with this squad if Big Mick was in charge on 09:00 - Aug 22 with 1735 viewsfergalsharkey

Unwatchable is right.

Hence he has gone.

Any body can set up like mcarthy did, it’s easy to squeeze the life out of a game.

Poll: Cook out?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024