Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rob Edwards 12:41 - May 11 with 3280 viewsKieranMcKenna1

Off to Watford, he’s taking a bit of a risk given there history with managers.

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

Rob Edwards on 12:43 - May 11 with 2942 viewsSitfcB

Crazy move. Will be sacked by October and then when FG struggle he’ll go back there.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Rob Edwards on 12:51 - May 11 with 2870 viewsMetal_Hacker

Instant pay off for failing , don’t see the risk personally

Poll: If it were one or the other

Rob Edwards on 12:57 - May 11 with 2815 viewsitfcjoe

Salary probably going from £100k a year to £1m a year, being installed at an overpowered squad who will be top 3 favourites to go up - if he fails big pay out and sure would get a lower league job again

Less of a risk than staying at FGR, if they start the season badly people will question whether the last 2-3 months of season were start of a big downturn and whether he's cut out for it etc.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rob Edwards on 13:41 - May 11 with 2556 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Biggest take away here, its not Kenny.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Rob Edwards on 13:48 - May 11 with 2487 viewsMeadowlark

their
Rob Edwards on 13:51 - May 11 with 2467 viewsBlueBadger

Rob Edwards on 12:51 - May 11 by Metal_Hacker

Presumably, that's why the ITFC job was such a draw under Evans...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Rob Edwards on 13:55 - May 11 with 2446 viewsSTYG

Rob Edwards on 12:57 - May 11 by itfcjoe

Salary probably going from £100k a year to £1m a year, being installed at an overpowered squad who will be top 3 favourites to go up - if he fails big pay out and sure would get a lower league job again

Less of a risk than staying at FGR, if they start the season badly people will question whether the last 2-3 months of season were start of a big downturn and whether he's cut out for it etc.

Most surprising thing here is that it's Rob Edwards, a young, up and coming manager from the lower leagues and not the usual Pozzo recycled manager from Granada or Udinese.

Perhaps it suggests a change of strategy to a degree. Probably not. But a very un-Watford appointment.
Rob Edwards on 13:55 - May 11 with 2439 viewsBloomBlue

Not if you have ambition which obviously he does. In life if you want to reach the top you have to take a risk, Watford have always provided money for players, go there and succeed and he might get a move to an even bigger club.
Login to get fewer ads

Rob Edwards on 13:55 - May 11 with 2438 viewsjayessess

Rob Edwards on 12:51 - May 11 by Metal_Hacker

Good chance you get to put a promotion to the Premier League on your CV and put yourself on a £500k-a-year merry-go-round, even when you get sacked

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Rob Edwards on 13:58 - May 11 with 2423 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Rob Edwards on 13:55 - May 11 by STYG

Most surprising thing here is that it's Rob Edwards, a young, up and coming manager from the lower leagues and not the usual Pozzo recycled manager from Granada or Udinese.

Perhaps it suggests a change of strategy to a degree. Probably not. But a very un-Watford appointment.

The only manager that Pozzo has ever appointed for Watford that has managed either of those clubs is Roy Hodgson, and he was Udinese manager 20 years ago
[Post edited 11 May 2022 13:58]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Rob Edwards on 13:59 - May 11 with 2420 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Rob Edwards on 14:04 - May 11 with 2387 viewsStu_Magoo

Rob Edwards on 13:59 - May 11 by Kieran_Knows

Love that statement. Last line is a belter.
Rob Edwards on 15:58 - May 11 with 2142 viewsVeggie

Rob Edwards on 14:04 - May 11 by Stu_Magoo

Love that statement. Last line is a belter.

I don’t know - it comes across very passive aggressive.
Rob Edwards on 16:33 - May 11 with 2048 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61413324

Rob Edwards: Watford appoint former Forest Green boss as manager for 2022-23

So they'll be seven minutes into the hunt for another new manager by half past eight this evening? Am I reading that right?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Rob Edwards on 18:21 - May 11 with 1910 viewsMullet

Rob Edwards on 15:58 - May 11 by Veggie

Vegans for you innit

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Rob Edwards on 20:39 - May 11 with 1766 viewsVeggie

Rob Edwards on 18:21 - May 11 by Mullet

Vegans for you innit

Ha ha
Rob Edwards on 20:48 - May 11 with 1737 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Rob Edwards on 12:43 - May 11 by SitfcB

Crazy move. Will be sacked by October and then when FG struggle he’ll go back there.

If that is exactly how it plays out, he will have earned an awful lot more money and be back where he already is with some experience of managing in the Championship and no real stain on his name (unless he is an utter disaster and they fail to win in 8 or something like that).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Rob Edwards on 21:38 - May 11 with 1663 viewsVic

Rob Edwards on 15:58 - May 11 by Veggie

Did you actually read it? It was wonderful!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Rob Edwards on 07:51 - May 12 with 1437 viewsITFC_RDM

Not sure I've ever seen anything less risky, to be quite honest.
Rob Edwards on 08:23 - May 12 with 1396 viewsChurchman

Rob Edwards on 21:38 - May 11 by Vic

Did you actually read it? It was wonderful!

I read. I thought it was excellent.

I can understand why Edwards took the job, but it looks like a mistake to me. Yes, you can argue take the £££, but in the highly competitive world of football management, there is no guarantee it will help his career longer term.

When Hurst came here after doing a good job at Shrewsbury and Grimsby it pretty much finished him (or he finished himself). Same with Ross at Sunderland. I happen to think with any job, how decent your employer is really matters.
Rob Edwards on 08:35 - May 12 with 1373 viewstractorboy1978

Rob Edwards on 08:23 - May 12 by Churchman

I can understand why Edwards took the job, but it looks like a mistake to me. Yes, you can argue take the £££, but in the highly competitive world of football management, there is no guarantee it will help his career longer term.

When Hurst came here after doing a good job at Shrewsbury and Grimsby it pretty much finished him (or he finished himself). Same with Ross at Sunderland. I happen to think with any job, how decent your employer is really matters.

I'd argue he'd be just as likely to get relegated with Forest Green next season than he is to not get promoted with Watford. I think as a manager you have to cash in your chips whilst your stock is high because the opportunity may not come again.

He's basically got a top end Championship job off the back of a good 30 games in L2 at the start of this season. They only won 4 of their last 17! I reckon he was as shocked as anyone when he got the call.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 9:14]
Rob Edwards on 08:57 - May 12 with 1322 viewsjayessess

But I'm struggling to see the alternative career path here? Not very many League 2 coaches get a shot at a Championship job, let alone one of the promotion favourites.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Rob Edwards on 09:08 - May 12 with 1311 viewstractordownsouth

Judging by the statement it's a very acrimonious departure. I reckon we'll see a repeat of Derek Adams at Morecambe - it goes tits up at Watford and FGR struggle under a new man, both get sacked, Edwards comes back and all is forgiven.

Tend to agree with Joe's assessment though - I initially thought going to Watford was ill-advised but even if it goes wrong Edwards will still get another bottom end L1 or top L2 gig and realistically the best FGR can hope for next year is mid table anyway.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Rob Edwards on 09:37 - May 12 with 1277 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The Hurst comparison might not be one though - Grimsby are flying and probably would be second favourites to win the play offs after Wrexham! We might well be playing him next year.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Rob Edwards on 09:38 - May 12 with 1276 viewsChurchman

Rob Edwards on 08:57 - May 12 by jayessess

But I'm struggling to see the alternative career path here? Not very many League 2 coaches get a shot at a Championship job, let alone one of the promotion favourites.

The career path in football is surely about waiting for the right opportunity and how many managers are fired each season?

I’m slightly hypocritical tbh as I probably took on more jobs/roles I didn’t want than those I did. I just happen to think that he will get a better opportunity than Watford. If Watford really did deal with this the way FGR imply, it’s not good.

I always remember when Robson shook hands and agreed to take on the Everton job in the 70s. They broke their word in allowing the news to break before BR had a chance to talk with John Cobbold. Robson stayed and possibly had a better career than he might have done had he taken the Everton money and job.

There is no right and wrong with moving jobs. His decision and who is to say he won’t be a massive success there. Good luck to the bloke.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024