Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) 18:02 - Mar 19 with 2268 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 18:11 - Mar 19 with 2239 viewsiamatractorboy

Time for the FA to stand up and actually do something, and ban him properly. Before anyone says, yes in the scheme of things it was barely a push, but the disrespect shown to officials at the top end of the game is shocking, and filters down to all levels, including the Sunday morning pub leagues. Cue accusations of pearl clutching!!
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 22:01 - Mar 19 with 2030 views765765

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 18:11 - Mar 19 by iamatractorboy

Time for the FA to stand up and actually do something, and ban him properly. Before anyone says, yes in the scheme of things it was barely a push, but the disrespect shown to officials at the top end of the game is shocking, and filters down to all levels, including the Sunday morning pub leagues. Cue accusations of pearl clutching!!

Totally agree. The role modelling here is absolutely shocking, from Willian claiming disbelief at the decision despite it clearly being deliberate handball on the line, to Mitrovic physically barging the referee. There is no respect or honour in the game any more, and they are professional cheats.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 23:06 - Mar 19 with 1954 viewsMattinLondon

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 22:01 - Mar 19 by 765765

Totally agree. The role modelling here is absolutely shocking, from Willian claiming disbelief at the decision despite it clearly being deliberate handball on the line, to Mitrovic physically barging the referee. There is no respect or honour in the game any more, and they are professional cheats.

Dare I say that the amount of ‘honour’ in the game has always been the same. It’s just that nowadays everything gets highlighted to such an extent that people think that dissent or claiming disbelief never happened in the past.

Players have always tried it on with the refs and have always tried to con the officials.

But Mitrovic does deserve a lengthy ban.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 23:11 - Mar 19 with 1946 viewsKentish_Tractor

The level of disrespect referees get in football is shocking.

In fact the level of overall cheating in football is shocking full stop.

Football is the only sport I know of that this sort of disent and cheating is tolerated.

I played hockey for many years - where you will be yellow carded (sin-binned) for any sort of dissent whatsoever - swear at a ref and you're off, let alone touching one. Blocking a free hit is a yellow card (in football they actively run TOWARDS the ball to block free kicks). Even tapping the ball away when a decision is given against you is a yellow card (footballers do this all the time to prevent players taking free kicks). Likewise you never see any sort of dissent in professional rugby. The beautiful game is spoilt by the players. The sooner they take a no-nonsense approach to dissent and referee abuse the better. But can garantee it will never happen.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 03:07 - Mar 20 with 1819 viewsBigCommon

You don't get that, with female refs officiating a men's game, I've noticed...They a far less likely challenged in any capacity when awarding penalties, free kicks, etc.. And are therefore able to referee more effectively. Imo... You just don't get, six foot plus athletic men, screaming in the face of female refs, let alone man handling them...Kind of misogynistic in its own way. But, none the less, helps stop the kind of nonsense we saw at Old Trafford.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 07:57 - Mar 20 with 1614 viewsMetal_Hacker

I didn't see the incident but I can say it grates my gears seeing a player nudge the ball away , throw it up in the air whilst THROWING the ball back , arguing with the ref and basically just being a helmet

It's become the norm in the game now with virtually every decision made .

The worst being a player being awarded a free kick in the middle of the pitch for quite an obvious offence and another player strolls over and nudges the ball away a few yards - bl00dy morons

Poll: If it were one or the other

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 09:09 - Mar 20 with 1546 viewsGarv

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 23:11 - Mar 19 by Kentish_Tractor

Football is the only sport I know of that this sort of disent and cheating is tolerated.

I played hockey for many years - where you will be yellow carded (sin-binned) for any sort of dissent whatsoever - swear at a ref and you're off, let alone touching one. Blocking a free hit is a yellow card (in football they actively run TOWARDS the ball to block free kicks). Even tapping the ball away when a decision is given against you is a yellow card (footballers do this all the time to prevent players taking free kicks). Likewise you never see any sort of dissent in professional rugby. The beautiful game is spoilt by the players. The sooner they take a no-nonsense approach to dissent and referee abuse the better. But can garantee it will never happen.

The media and Sky/BT don't help. For years officials have been mocked and criticised for being useless and every decision analysed to the second. Players see that and think they're fair game to be abused.

Sky Sports literally have a 'ref watch' feature where they spend half an hour analysing every major decision from the weekend.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

He's a tool on 10:22 - Mar 20 with 1390 viewsDyland

I get the frustration when the decisions are sh1t but his only excuse yesterday was, er, the emotion of the event, er.... maybe? No excuse. Ban the sausage for the rest of the season.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 10:26 - Mar 20 with 1377 viewsRobTheMonk

One of the local Powerplay leagues has sent out a blanket email warning teams about their conduct towards referees. There was a trial ref who left halfway through a session telling the organiser that she wouldn't be coming back and spending her Monday evenings being verbally abused.

And then you see Silva and Mitrovic at the top level being arses. No wonder it's filtering down.

I've reffed young teenagers as part of my old job and it was rubbish. Would never go back and it's just not enjoyable.

Always tried to be respectful when I played. They will always be decisions that go against you and there will always be decisions that go your way. Just get on with it; the ref is not going to change their mind.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 10:46 - Mar 20 with 1325 viewsBluefields

I flicked this on after Id watched Under 20's 6 nations rugby and the contrast was stark. I firmly believe that football refs could & should have the same level of respect as rugby refs and cricket umpires. Would need a culture change at grassroots and academy levels first.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 10:57 - Mar 20 with 1306 viewsSamuelowen88

I always compare it to rugby where refs get 100% respect. Any back chat / disrespect is a yellow.

I dont know why FIfa have brought a rule in yet.

Only the player involved and the captain can approach the ref.
Any dissent / language / disrespect of ref is a yellow (or a new sin bin card)
No encroachment (1foot) of ref

Would soon sort it out.

Poll: England v Wales Score

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 10:58 - Mar 20 with 1303 viewsSamuelowen88

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 10:46 - Mar 20 by Bluefields

I flicked this on after Id watched Under 20's 6 nations rugby and the contrast was stark. I firmly believe that football refs could & should have the same level of respect as rugby refs and cricket umpires. Would need a culture change at grassroots and academy levels first.

Nah the culture change needs to come in at the top.

If you see your idols getting carded for being prats you'd soon stop.

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:17 - Mar 20 with 1257 viewsRadlett_blue

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 10:57 - Mar 20 by Samuelowen88

I always compare it to rugby where refs get 100% respect. Any back chat / disrespect is a yellow.

Would soon sort it out.

in rugby, the sanction for any dissent is meaningful. Rugby is a territorial game so gaining 10 yards is significant. They tried the 10 yard penalty in football for a season or so but moving a free kick by 10 yards often conferred no advantage.
The only way to get respect back for officials is a yellow card (preferably, replaced by a sin bin) for every act of dissent. After a few weeks of playing 6 a side, the players might work it out & change their behaviour.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:23 - Mar 20 with 1242 viewsBluefields

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 10:58 - Mar 20 by Samuelowen88

Nah the culture change needs to come in at the top.

If you see your idols getting carded for being prats you'd soon stop.

Oh agree completely in regard to the top levels but it doesnt mean to say that if kids at 5/6 years were set a better example then it wouldnt happen through the age groups.
One thing that really annoys me is swearing at refs when you watch it on tv, do that on a Sunday morning and you face a hefty suspension.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:26 - Mar 20 with 1235 viewsMattinLondon

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 10:57 - Mar 20 by Samuelowen88

Would soon sort it out.

I think backchat and disrespect are two separate things. I don’t see anything wrong with a player going up to a referee and asking why he didn’t award a foul etc and then the ref explaining that decision. If a player then says he was as wrong in a polite manner then that isn’t disrespect. Happens in every single match and I think a good ref would have no problem in explaining their decision in a grown-up way - again, that happens frequently.

I wouldn’t like football to become like rugby Union where their players call the ref ‘sir’ and act as subservient private school boys.

However, if a player runs up to a ref waving his hands and trying to intimidate the ref, then that’s a yellow card. Any swearing a straight red card.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:31 - Mar 20 with 1215 viewsRadlett_blue

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:26 - Mar 20 by MattinLondon

I think backchat and disrespect are two separate things. I don’t see anything wrong with a player going up to a referee and asking why he didn’t award a foul etc and then the ref explaining that decision. If a player then says he was as wrong in a polite manner then that isn’t disrespect. Happens in every single match and I think a good ref would have no problem in explaining their decision in a grown-up way - again, that happens frequently.

I wouldn’t like football to become like rugby Union where their players call the ref ‘sir’ and act as subservient private school boys.

However, if a player runs up to a ref waving his hands and trying to intimidate the ref, then that’s a yellow card. Any swearing a straight red card.

As ever, the devil is in the detail. I agree there's no problem with a players politely questioning a decision, although I bet that's rare. More usually, it's obvious a player is shouting "F*** OFF" after a decision with which he disagrees. Yes, there should be an immediate sanction for obvious, aggressive dissent.
In terms of referee pushing, it was right to send off Mitrovic. This wasn't a full blown assault, but because it was a high profile, live TV game, the FA will want to throw the book at him, although Fernandez manhandling a linesman was completely ignored recently.

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:37 - Mar 20 with 1203 viewsMattinLondon

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:31 - Mar 20 by Radlett_blue

As ever, the devil is in the detail. I agree there's no problem with a players politely questioning a decision, although I bet that's rare. More usually, it's obvious a player is shouting "F*** OFF" after a decision with which he disagrees. Yes, there should be an immediate sanction for obvious, aggressive dissent.
In terms of referee pushing, it was right to send off Mitrovic. This wasn't a full blown assault, but because it was a high profile, live TV game, the FA will want to throw the book at him, although Fernandez manhandling a linesman was completely ignored recently.

I don’t think that a player politely asking for clarification is rare at all. It happens all the time - I’d say that outright dissent, as in running after the ref is much more of a rarity - it just stays in the mind longer.

It was right to send him off but having initially reading about it I thought that it was a proper Di Canio shove rather than what happened. But the red card was deserved, and what with him not being at a big club, it’ll make the FA more intent on banning him for a fair few matches.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 12:02 - Mar 20 with 1155 viewsSamuelowen88

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:26 - Mar 20 by MattinLondon

Yeah walking up, asking why the decision was made and putting their point of view across is fine.

Running up, yelling arms waving - not ok
getting in the face of ref - not ok (hence the 1 foot space idea)

As someone else said, bring the rule in and start carding them.
They would all soon learn.

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 12:32 - Mar 20 with 1078 viewsRyorry

"In the scheme of things" it was far more than a push (which he quickly got a red for) - he carried on walking forward shouting & finger wagging in the ref's face as he (the ref) retreated, resulting in a complete mele involving players from both sides (though the actions of some were trying to stop Mitrovic before he did anything worse).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 13:05 - Mar 20 with 1011 viewsPlums

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 11:37 - Mar 20 by MattinLondon

I don’t think that a player politely asking for clarification is rare at all. It happens all the time - I’d say that outright dissent, as in running after the ref is much more of a rarity - it just stays in the mind longer.

It was right to send him off but having initially reading about it I thought that it was a proper Di Canio shove rather than what happened. But the red card was deserved, and what with him not being at a big club, it’ll make the FA more intent on banning him for a fair few matches.

Questioning a decision is dissent but is rarely applied. There's a difference between seeking to understand why a decision has been made versus questioning it or implying it was incorrect. Far too few players, coaches, pundits or spectators appear to have read the IFAB Laws. It's all very casual.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 20:41 - Mar 20 with 790 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There was an Italian women's match on the other day and the ref booked a player who then showed clear dissent at the booking. She immediately got a red card. The commentators were flabbergasted as it was only dissent!

The hierarchy/officials have created the problem by not enforcing dissent as a punishable offence. There is plenty they could do, including overturning decisions or moving free kicks up the pitch/upgrading them to penalties, etc. coupled with issuing cards. Instead, referees engage in dialogue and accept dissent as routine. See also general time-wasting/gamesmanship etc.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 21:33 - Mar 20 with 750 viewsKentish_Tractor

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 20:41 - Mar 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

There was an Italian women's match on the other day and the ref booked a player who then showed clear dissent at the booking. She immediately got a red card. The commentators were flabbergasted as it was only dissent!

The hierarchy/officials have created the problem by not enforcing dissent as a punishable offence. There is plenty they could do, including overturning decisions or moving free kicks up the pitch/upgrading them to penalties, etc. coupled with issuing cards. Instead, referees engage in dialogue and accept dissent as routine. See also general time-wasting/gamesmanship etc.

So going back to my previous comment about hockey - the referee has the ability to upgrade a free hit to a penalty corner if a subsequent offence is committed such as dissent or blocking/disrupting the taking of the free hit by touching the ball or not retreating.

I think they should apply this to football by giving referees the ablity to upgrade a free kick to a penalty.

Also a yellow card isn't really a very meaningful punishment. You can commit a pretty bad foul or deny a good opportunity to attack and take a booking with very little consequence if you then behave for the rest of the game. I would fully be for the introduction of a sin bin in football - ie a yellow card is also 5 mins on the bench. Combine that with the ability to upgrade a decision - THEN we'll see who's so liberal with the rules.

One of the biggest problems is that players often get rewarded for breaking the rules. How often do you hear the phrase "he's a master of the dark arts" or "that's a tactical foul", or "he's taken one for the team" and the players are actually PRAISED. Punish these offences with something meaningful and that soon stops.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 21:56 - Mar 20 with 731 viewsArnieM

There’s too much money in the game . They’re all overpaid and “entitled” pricks frankly !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 23:45 - Mar 20 with 665 viewsMattinLondon

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 21:56 - Mar 20 by ArnieM

There’s too much money in the game . They’re all overpaid and “entitled” pricks frankly !

Like every profession you get good people and you get bad ones. In professional football the bad ones end up on the front pages which distorts the public conception of footballers.

They are paid so much (PL and some Championship players) simply because so few people can actually do what they do. And because it generates so much money both domestically and overseas.
Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 09:07 - Mar 21 with 530 viewsRadlett_blue

Stupid from Mitrovic (n/t) on 21:33 - Mar 20 by Kentish_Tractor

So going back to my previous comment about hockey - the referee has the ability to upgrade a free hit to a penalty corner if a subsequent offence is committed such as dissent or blocking/disrupting the taking of the free hit by touching the ball or not retreating.

I think they should apply this to football by giving referees the ablity to upgrade a free kick to a penalty.

Also a yellow card isn't really a very meaningful punishment. You can commit a pretty bad foul or deny a good opportunity to attack and take a booking with very little consequence if you then behave for the rest of the game. I would fully be for the introduction of a sin bin in football - ie a yellow card is also 5 mins on the bench. Combine that with the ability to upgrade a decision - THEN we'll see who's so liberal with the rules.

One of the biggest problems is that players often get rewarded for breaking the rules. How often do you hear the phrase "he's a master of the dark arts" or "that's a tactical foul", or "he's taken one for the team" and the players are actually PRAISED. Punish these offences with something meaningful and that soon stops.

Sin bin - absolutely yes. It might reduce the endless petty, tactical fouling & I would love to see a goalkeeper sin-binned for time wasting.
Upgrading a free kick to a penalty kick - no, terrible idea that is disproprotionate & would generate more controversy & dissent.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024