Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local election voting quandary 12:59 - May 4 with 2500 viewsgtsb1966

Do you vote for the person or the party. Me personally I vote for the person I think has done, or will do, make the place where I live better. I forget party politics on days like today.
Local election voting quandary on 13:02 - May 4 with 2467 viewsGeoffSentence

Is this one of those 'tell me you are voting Conservative without saying you are voting Conservative', things?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Local election voting quandary on 13:16 - May 4 with 2420 viewsZx1988

Given my ward is a safe Lib Dem seat, I'm in a quandry between:

a) Turning up without ID and making sure I end up on the list to be provided to the Returning Officer, of those refused a vote

b) Scrawling "F**K THE TORIES" on my ballot in black marker, and then asking the Presiding Officer for a fresh ballot, having 'accidentally spoilt' the first one

Very mature, I know.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Local election voting quandary on 13:25 - May 4 with 2394 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Voted for the Green Party candidate this morning. Never voted for them before but they at least bothered sending out information about local issues and how they were hoping to implement solutions to these. They have also been easily the most proactive candidate both on social media and (recyclable) flyers.
Three options on the ballot.
Green.
Conservative.
Reform UK.
Found that a bit strange.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Local election voting quandary on 13:28 - May 4 with 2395 viewsHerbivore

I usually vote for a combination of party and candidate. Obviously not being a sociopath I would never vote for a Tory candidate under any circumstances, same with whatever UKIP are branding themselves as now. Usually I vote Green as their candidates are local people who have a strong sense of community. They are the main opposition to Labour on our local council and I'd like to see their position strengthened as Labour haven't been particularly dynamic at a local level.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Local election voting quandary on 13:45 - May 4 with 2340 viewsZx1988

Local election voting quandary on 13:25 - May 4 by StochesStotasBlewe

Voted for the Green Party candidate this morning. Never voted for them before but they at least bothered sending out information about local issues and how they were hoping to implement solutions to these. They have also been easily the most proactive candidate both on social media and (recyclable) flyers.
Green.
Conservative.
Reform UK.

Potentially a non-aggression pact from the three major non-Tories? What party is the incumbent?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Local election voting quandary on 13:55 - May 4 with 2280 viewspositivity

Local election voting quandary on 13:28 - May 4 by Herbivore

I usually vote for a combination of party and candidate. Obviously not being a sociopath I would never vote for a Tory candidate under any circumstances, same with whatever UKIP are branding themselves as now. Usually I vote Green as their candidates are local people who have a strong sense of community. They are the main opposition to Labour on our local council and I'd like to see their position strengthened as Labour haven't been particularly dynamic at a local level.

yes, depends on the situation hyper-locally (the ward), locally (the council) and nationally.

my ward was lib-dems, swung to conservative and for the first time in living memory became labour. i'll be voting labour as the ward lead is small plus they narrowly lead the council (the preceding tory/lib-dem coalition was a disaster)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Local election voting quandary on 13:55 - May 4 with 2279 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Local election voting quandary on 13:45 - May 4 by Zx1988

Potentially a non-aggression pact from the three major non-Tories? What party is the incumbent?

I’ve not got a clue, but the area around here is very blue so would imagine it is predominantly Tory.
Only been here for a couple of years.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Local election voting quandary on 14:01 - May 4 with 2265 viewsGuthrum

The person. Don't think national parties should really have a place in local politics. Where is the ideology in filling potholes and emptying bins?

Also a big factor in how I vote in General Elections, too. If they're going to be my representative in Parliament, not going to support a scumbag, even if I favour their nominal political alignment.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Local election voting quandary on 14:14 - May 4 with 2241 viewssoupytwist

My ward has been represented for quite a while by two now retired Labour councillors (there was a brief blip a few years ago but that was rectified when the Tory had to step down triggering a by election in 2018).

The previous Labour councillors had reasonable personal votes that they had built up over time. There are now two new Labour candidates, one Green and two Tory. I'm tempted to vote for the Green and one Labour candidate but worried it will let the Conservatives in.

The council itself has been Conservative controlled since 2007 and they currently have 34 of 49 seats so I doubt we'll see much change.
Local election voting quandary on 14:22 - May 4 with 2227 viewsitfc48

Local election voting quandary on 14:01 - May 4 by Guthrum

The person. Don't think national parties should really have a place in local politics. Where is the ideology in filling potholes and emptying bins?

Also a big factor in how I vote in General Elections, too. If they're going to be my representative in Parliament, not going to support a scumbag, even if I favour their nominal political alignment.

Totally agree regarding having national parties in local politics. Recently there have even been candidates at my local city council level representing a party which is just daft.
Local election voting quandary on 14:53 - May 4 with 2171 viewsusm

Im voting for a lady that I know does a lot of good work locally
I dont actually know which party she is representing
So its the person, not the party, for me

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Local election voting quandary on 16:38 - May 4 with 2114 viewsBlueBadger

Local election voting quandary on 14:01 - May 4 by Guthrum

A big part of Tory ideology revolves around stuff like not emptying bins and filling in potholes....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Local election voting quandary on 16:49 - May 4 with 2085 viewsSarge

I have a quandary where I live in that the only party that actually represents the interests of the people that live here, and especially the working class, are the party that nationally are a cabal of liars, thieves, and conmen.

Thankfully we don’t have any elections here this year so no need for me to hold in my own sick whilst I vote.
Local election voting quandary on 16:54 - May 4 with 2072 viewsTractor_Buck

The person. I know both of my local councillors and they've helped me out with problems in the past, so they get my vote as I know I can trust them.

One of the other candidates, an immensely pompous and unlikeable fella has 'ditched' the party he used to represent and now presents himself as an independent. It's a stalking horse model as he and his ilk are bound to re-join their former group if there's a sniff of power.
Local election voting quandary on 17:25 - May 4 with 2040 viewsSitfcB

Just been and voted, could vote 2 times on one paper and 4 the other, just put a cross in whatever box wasn’t ‘Conservatives’.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Local election voting quandary on 18:29 - May 4 with 1956 viewsfactual_blue

Local election voting quandary on 13:25 - May 4 by StochesStotasBlewe

Green.
Conservative.
Reform UK.

I like the sound of the Found That A Bit Strange party. What were their main policies?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Local election voting quandary on 18:39 - May 4 with 1944 viewsronnyd

Just went up to do mine and there wasn't a single independent on the ballot paper, all either Liebour or Tory. As i loathe both of the main parties, i didn't bother.
Local election voting quandary on 18:55 - May 4 with 1926 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Local election voting quandary on 18:29 - May 4 by factual_blue

I like the sound of the Found That A Bit Strange party. What were their main policies?

They originated in Norwich I believe.

Doing away with newfangled things is the only policy.
[Post edited 4 May 2023 18:58]

Local election voting quandary on 19:02 - May 4 with 1897 viewsLeaky

Just vote for McKenna
Local election voting quandary on 19:04 - May 4 with 1896 viewsMullet

Was disgusted to see Britain First on my ballot with some pathetic "locals first" slogan.

I voted Labour as there are only decent people left now the Corbynites are gone.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Local election voting quandary on 20:29 - May 4 with 1780 viewsDJR

Local election voting quandary on 19:04 - May 4 by Mullet

Was disgusted to see Britain First on my ballot with some pathetic "locals first" slogan.

I voted Labour as there are only decent people left now the Corbynites are gone.

My experience as a Labour Party member for nearly 40 years, and Secretary of the local party for a period which included the Corbyn leadership, is that the membership is and always has been overwhelmingly decent, and I didn't notice any change in terms of decency during the Corbyn period.
[Post edited 4 May 2023 20:32]
Local election voting quandary on 20:44 - May 4 with 1736 viewsstonojnr

always the person, in local elections especially because most candidates go off script from the main parties at some point.

you vote for the person who you feel will most and best represent you in whatever quorum they end up in.

if you vote for party leaders on party lines, well none of them are going to be presenting your views or concerns to your local council are they, so ignore them.
Local election voting quandary on 09:01 - May 5 with 1532 viewssoupytwist

Local election voting quandary on 14:14 - May 4 by soupytwist

My ward has been represented for quite a while by two now retired Labour councillors (there was a brief blip a few years ago but that was rectified when the Tory had to step down triggering a by election in 2018).

The previous Labour councillors had reasonable personal votes that they had built up over time. There are now two new Labour candidates, one Green and two Tory. I'm tempted to vote for the Green and one Labour candidate but worried it will let the Conservatives in.

The council itself has been Conservative controlled since 2007 and they currently have 34 of 49 seats so I doubt we'll see much change.

Well, I gave one of my votes to a Labour candidate and one to the Green party candidate. And the seat returned one Labour councillor and one Tory, the latter by 16 votes over the second Labour candidate. The Green candidate got roughly half the votes of the winning Tory/losing Labour candidates. Partly my fault that.

My prediction of not much change wasn't overly accurate since the Tory majority on the council is now down to 3.
Local election voting quandary on 09:15 - May 5 with 1515 viewsPinewoodblue

Local election voting quandary on 09:01 - May 5 by soupytwist

Well, I gave one of my votes to a Labour candidate and one to the Green party candidate. And the seat returned one Labour councillor and one Tory, the latter by 16 votes over the second Labour candidate. The Green candidate got roughly half the votes of the winning Tory/losing Labour candidates. Partly my fault that.

My prediction of not much change wasn't overly accurate since the Tory majority on the council is now down to 3.

Always find it difficult when you are electing two people, you want to make one a protest vote but have to consider the consequences.

Not sure if was intentional but Tories and LibDems only put up one candidate, wouldn’t be surprised if neither Labour candidate was successful.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Local election voting quandary on 09:27 - May 5 with 1495 viewssoupytwist

Local election voting quandary on 09:15 - May 5 by Pinewoodblue

Always find it difficult when you are electing two people, you want to make one a protest vote but have to consider the consequences.

Not sure if was intentional but Tories and LibDems only put up one candidate, wouldn’t be surprised if neither Labour candidate was successful.

At least it's taught me that I shouldn't be messing about when it comes to the general election.

Although there was no Lib Dem candidate in my ward (only 6 wards had LD candidates) I assume that there will be in my constituency. They, and the Greens need to butt out for the GE.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024