Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? 20:33 - Aug 26 with 4916 viewsunstableblue

1. We came up against the parachute payment gap today, and a ridiculously expensive squad and forward line. The fact we managed to score 3 and have a strong second half, with a much lower value squad is testament to our progress.

2. But despite their ridiculously expensive forward line, bar one goal (individual brilliance), we gave away soft goals today. If we’d been more switched on today we would have won.

3. The need for 2 more high quality additions was very clear. Jackson for all his pace, is not up to this level. And Ladapo was exposed when he came on for not making the grade. If only Hirst has been fit.

4. When you’re playing at this level you can’t carry players, and I’m afraid Burgess, Chaplin and Broadhead had weak games. The latter has to be better, as he was poor at QPR. He’s a brilliant player and had moments, but we need him firing. Hladky apart from the fluff, had a good game.

5. I’m not sure subbing Clarke with Williams really worked. Clarke had settled. Williams was thrown in. I could see Clarke and Burns weren’t happy about it.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:42 - Aug 26 with 3880 viewsStokieBlue

Point (3) is very harsh.

Jackson played well and caused Leeds all kinds of problems, the first two goals came directly from his contributions. To say he's "not up to this level" after that and his performance against Stoke is very harsh.

We need another striker but it'll be in place of Ladapo not Jackson.

To be honest, points (4) and (5) are pretty dubious as well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:43 - Aug 26 with 3861 viewsChurchman

I thought Burgess did ok. As for Clarke, he was exhausted. The change didn’t really work, but I’m not sure McKenna had a lot of choice. As for soft goals, two of ours could also be described that way.

Jackson’s pace is useful. I see him as an impact sub. Chaplin and Broadhead will have better days. We do need another forward though. Ladapo really did look lost - but he has scored at this level with Rotherham, so if we have to go with what we have, we’ll have to see if he can adapt into it.

Point 1 though, I completely agree with.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:46 - Aug 26 with 3813 viewsFrimleyBlue

Agree on alot of that apart from Jackson. I felt he was brilliant today.

Broadhead performance imo shows a slight problem in that we don't have a back up for him or actual competition.

But. We are all picking at things imo from a game where we competed with a parachute club and a game which tbh we still deserved to win. I've heard farke say they deserved it. And I agree usually its the team who scores the most goals so he's technically right.. but the stats show we Should have won that game.

We really need Ashton and his recruitment team to get some actual quality in now. At present there's to much development going on and no ready made quality coming in. It's difficult I get that but that's that's what they're paid to find.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:48 - Aug 26 with 3789 viewshomer_123

Jackson had an assist, a hand in a second goal, forced a full-length save from their keeper and worked their back line very well.

Genuinely don't get why he gets a hard time.

Your 4th and 5th points are wrong.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:49 - Aug 26 with 3777 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:43 - Aug 26 by Churchman

I thought Burgess did ok. As for Clarke, he was exhausted. The change didn’t really work, but I’m not sure McKenna had a lot of choice. As for soft goals, two of ours could also be described that way.

Jackson’s pace is useful. I see him as an impact sub. Chaplin and Broadhead will have better days. We do need another forward though. Ladapo really did look lost - but he has scored at this level with Rotherham, so if we have to go with what we have, we’ll have to see if he can adapt into it.

Point 1 though, I completely agree with.

I think had we not made three changes at once we’d have got a point, the three coming off were playing well at that point too, it disrupted our game and we were the one’s in control.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:53 - Aug 26 with 3715 viewsChurchman

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:49 - Aug 26 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I think had we not made three changes at once we’d have got a point, the three coming off were playing well at that point too, it disrupted our game and we were the one’s in control.

It certainly looked that way at the time.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:54 - Aug 26 with 3702 viewsHerbivore

Jackson isn't up to this level? He set up our first two goals, was one of our best players, and generally gave them fits.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:56 - Aug 26 with 3693 viewsMillsTash

I feel Chaplin body language towards Hutchinson wasn’t positive from when he believed he was fouled and stayed on the ground (OH) and the occasion when he didn’t go for the ball when he thought he was offside.
Login to get fewer ads

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 21:55 - Aug 26 with 3357 viewsSitfcB

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:48 - Aug 26 by homer_123

Jackson had an assist, a hand in a second goal, forced a full-length save from their keeper and worked their back line very well.

2 assists for Jackson.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 21:58 - Aug 26 with 3321 viewsFrimleyBlue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:56 - Aug 26 by MillsTash

I feel Chaplin body language towards Hutchinson wasn’t positive from when he believed he was fouled and stayed on the ground (OH) and the occasion when he didn’t go for the ball when he thought he was offside.

Please can someone share what we should be looking at with hutchinson. I still don't get what we've loaned.

I got excited by his highlight vids when he ran on the sidelines and tucked in at times or stayed out etc. But we're using him as the backup 10 and I just don't see what KM sees. ( which is fine. I get that he's the manager and that's all that matters) but I just want to know what others are seeing in him that I'm not.

Waka waka eh eh

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:20 - Aug 26 with 3173 viewsHorsham

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 21:58 - Aug 26 by FrimleyBlue

Please can someone share what we should be looking at with hutchinson. I still don't get what we've loaned.

I got excited by his highlight vids when he ran on the sidelines and tucked in at times or stayed out etc. But we're using him as the backup 10 and I just don't see what KM sees. ( which is fine. I get that he's the manager and that's all that matters) but I just want to know what others are seeing in him that I'm not.

I felt he looked better when he played on the right. I’d like to see more of him there.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:23 - Aug 26 with 3146 viewsIllinoisblue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 21:58 - Aug 26 by FrimleyBlue

Have to agree. Not quite sure what he’s adding at the moment.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:29 - Aug 26 with 3099 viewscressi

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:23 - Aug 26 by Illinoisblue

Have to agree. Not quite sure what he’s adding at the moment.

All these people saying Jackson good now No his now works extremely hard end off can't pass when easy can't win a header or hold the ball up we need two strikers of better quality OK squad player what does it say of Ladapo when Jackson picked before him personally for progress and not personal I'd like both replaced with better.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:29 - Aug 26 with 3100 viewsVaughan8

I've seen him come on vs Sunderland and today and he looks a bit lost.

Definitely gives a pathetic/weak attempt to head the ball before their 4th goal.

Having said that, hes just joined a new team and new league so maybe hes just getting used to it all. Certainly not writing him off, but he's not adding an awful lot at the moment.

On a separate point, the OP mentions Broadhead. I have to agree he didn't think have a great game despite the goal. Missed a few very good chances and gave the ball away.

Jackson did very well. However, never looks much of a goal threat. The assist for the og was a shot going well wide.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:31 - Aug 26 with 3079 viewsFrimleyBlue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:29 - Aug 26 by cressi

All these people saying Jackson good now No his now works extremely hard end off can't pass when easy can't win a header or hold the ball up we need two strikers of better quality OK squad player what does it say of Ladapo when Jackson picked before him personally for progress and not personal I'd like both replaced with better.

It says that KM wanted a striker today who could stretch the Leeds defence. Sit on the shoulder of the defenders and beat the offside trap.

Waka waka eh eh

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:33 - Aug 26 with 3068 viewscressi

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:29 - Aug 26 by Vaughan8

I've seen him come on vs Sunderland and today and he looks a bit lost.

Definitely gives a pathetic/weak attempt to head the ball before their 4th goal.

Having said that, hes just joined a new team and new league so maybe hes just getting used to it all. Certainly not writing him off, but he's not adding an awful lot at the moment.

On a separate point, the OP mentions Broadhead. I have to agree he didn't think have a great game despite the goal. Missed a few very good chances and gave the ball away.

Jackson did very well. However, never looks much of a goal threat. The assist for the og was a shot going well wide.

If Jackson has time to think his done plays on instinct only not for me what ever McKenna says one good tackle and his in his shell.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:34 - Aug 26 with 3070 viewsTheBoyBlue

Whatever Chaplin and McKenna said, we didn't play well in the first half. We played much more like ourselves in the second half and I think we proved a match for them except for in the area that matters - in front of goal.

This will be one of our toughest tests this season and whilst it shows we're unlikely to finish anywhere near the top 2, a top 10 or even play-off shot is not out of the question.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:38 - Aug 26 with 3029 viewsSimonds92

Im not sure which goal was individual brilliance, we conceded 4 really poor goals. KJ was absolutely fantastic today, if we don't concede the really poor goals this forum would be raving about his performance and saying he's now a genuine option to rotate with Hirst.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:39 - Aug 26 with 3026 viewsFacefacts

Point 3.
Where are these high quality additions going to come from, in the next week or so? It's an impossible situation, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, we are loaning in players from the PL who don't fit or are panic buys as no high quality purchase who want to come to Ipswich are available or inexpensive enough. We are victims of our own success at the moment, we know how good we are and how impatient we are to maintain the upward trajectory but the football world has not caught up. Years to prise a player from Peterborough for whom we overpay, MacAnthony "I got a great deal". And he doesn't get in our team. Just have to keep working with what we've got.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:42 - Aug 26 with 3002 viewscressi

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:38 - Aug 26 by Simonds92

Im not sure which goal was individual brilliance, we conceded 4 really poor goals. KJ was absolutely fantastic today, if we don't concede the really poor goals this forum would be raving about his performance and saying he's now a genuine option to rotate with Hirst.

Rotate with Hirst christ what are u smoking
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:43 - Aug 26 with 2993 viewsPioneerBlue

It’s all very well picking over the bones and that is what fans can do. There is plenty to pick over in each game.

We conceded silly goals and scored three which is encouraging.

However results through the first part of the season can only really be viewed in the context of a management team, group of players, and individual players all learning what it will take to move the needle for this club. With the window open it’s natural to point to weaknesses as though a player or two can be plucked to improve things immediately. I know you know it doesn’t work like this.

We need time for coaching improvements to work together with opportunity to identify and bring the right players to improve the group. This can’t all happen in one summer and one window. Everything that happens now is building to be augmented during the next window or two and then beyond in a cycle of progress. Worry only when the progress stops!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:51 - Aug 26 with 2945 viewsFrimleyBlue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:43 - Aug 26 by PioneerBlue

It’s all very well picking over the bones and that is what fans can do. There is plenty to pick over in each game.

We conceded silly goals and scored three which is encouraging.

However results through the first part of the season can only really be viewed in the context of a management team, group of players, and individual players all learning what it will take to move the needle for this club. With the window open it’s natural to point to weaknesses as though a player or two can be plucked to improve things immediately. I know you know it doesn’t work like this.

We need time for coaching improvements to work together with opportunity to identify and bring the right players to improve the group. This can’t all happen in one summer and one window. Everything that happens now is building to be augmented during the next window or two and then beyond in a cycle of progress. Worry only when the progress stops!

KM has said he wants 2/3 quality signings. He sees what we need. At the moment ashton is adding numbers to the squad.

Potential wise.. could be great. But breaking them down

Hirst.. already here
Luongo already here
Taylor.. league 1 midfielder with potential
Hutchinson. First ever loan
Williams. Not played for 12 months

The team has showed its been coached well. Players have individually and as a team improved over the past 18 months.

But.. this is a long long season. Where is the quality being added. At present and its early. We have numbers but no additional 'quality'

We could develop 2 players for their parent clubs which both MA and KM said they don't like.

This week is very important.

The squad is thin. It has numbers but we are a few injuries away from a very painful championship squad.

Waka waka eh eh

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:00 - Aug 26 with 2887 viewsSimonds92

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:42 - Aug 26 by cressi

Rotate with Hirst christ what are u smoking

Hirst hasn't completed 90 minutes for us yet and currently KJ is showing he is a lot better suited to this division than Freddie. Of course i desperately hope we bring in a proper Hirst type CF next week though.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:06 - Aug 26 with 2857 viewsPioneerBlue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:51 - Aug 26 by FrimleyBlue

KM has said he wants 2/3 quality signings. He sees what we need. At the moment ashton is adding numbers to the squad.

Potential wise.. could be great. But breaking them down

Hirst.. already here
Luongo already here
Taylor.. league 1 midfielder with potential
Hutchinson. First ever loan
Williams. Not played for 12 months

The team has showed its been coached well. Players have individually and as a team improved over the past 18 months.

But.. this is a long long season. Where is the quality being added. At present and its early. We have numbers but no additional 'quality'

We could develop 2 players for their parent clubs which both MA and KM said they don't like.

This week is very important.

The squad is thin. It has numbers but we are a few injuries away from a very painful championship squad.

I’m not disagreeing with anything said but we have space for about two players best pick wisely in advance to know which player injuries we are covering!

Striker to support Hirst and CD both look light on numbers and proven quality at championship level. Not easy to resolve as has been show through the window.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:06 - Aug 26 with 2847 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:48 - Aug 26 by homer_123

Completely agree with what you say re: Jackson. He was tireless out there and causes a lot of problems. His biggest flaw is that he is not a finisher, but he adds so much else to the team and genuinely seems to get better every week under McKenna.

Not sure what you disagree with regarding the 5th point though. It was a mistake to replace Clarke with Williams. To throw him in when we are chasing a win, having not played in 18 months and only being at the club for a couple of days seems bonkers and not really fair on the player. Ball is not the long term solution in that area but he would have been the one I went to today, at least he is settled in the squad and up to speed with the way we do things.

Last weekend Chelsea did something very similar by bringing on Caicedo when trailing against West Ham and having only been there 5 days. He cocks up, gives away a penalty and the game is gone. You could even draw a comparison with what we did with Davis against Bolton last season. Starts the game within days of signing, gives away a penalty early doors. You could flip that around and say "look at Piroe starting today and scoring". It's great when it works out, but it's a huge gamble, particularly when you do it with defenders.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024