Town Target Crawley Striker
Thursday, 26th Jan 2012 16:00
Crawley striker Tyrone Barnett is on Town boss Paul Jewell’s lengthy wish list but is not one of the five bids currently on the table. The 26-year-old has attracted a lot of attention during the Red Devils’ impressive first season in the Football League.
Barnett was a youth player with West Brom before dropping into non-league with Rushall Olympic, Telford, Willenhall Town and Hednessford. He broke into the Football League with Macclesfield in the summer of 2010.
After 13 goals in 50 starts and one sub appearance in his only season with the Silkmen, the 6ft 3in tall frontman moved on to Crawley for £150,000 last summer.
So far this season Barnett has scored 13 goals in 28 starts and one sub appearance for the League Two high flyers, attracting the interest of clubs from higher divisions. Fulham, Wigan and Stoke were all reported to be keeping an eye before Christmas and Blackpool agreed a fee approaching £1 million late last week.
Speaking earlier this week, Crawley manager Steve Evans said his club had received several bids for the striker but with only the Seasiders’ accepted up to that point: “We received a number of written offers from Championship clubs and big clubs in League One for Tyrone, but the only offer my board of directors accepted was from Blackpool.
“Following a few days of telephone discussions with Ian Holloway and latterly chairman Karl Oyston, a transfer fee was agreed which was close on £1 million, and there were further incentives for Crawley when Tyrone had been successful.”
After talks, Evans says the player decided against a switch to Bloomfield Road: “Tyrone and his representatives obviously did not think it was right for him and it is always his prerogative to say no to a move at this time.
“As his manager I am delighted he is still with us and I just wished the transfer window closed today. The likes of Tyrone will always be subject to offers.”
Barnett is understood to prefer a switch to a club in the south and is unlikely to turn down a move to the Blues if the Blues firm up their interest.
We understand that the striker isn’t one of the five bids revealed by manager Paul Jewell this morning and may be viewed as an alternative option if one of the current offers doesn’t come off, perhaps suggesting that 21-year-old Hungarian striker Márkó Futács is the third Pompey target.
Get a free £25 bet on Ipswich Town v Fulham (or other matches) by opening a new account at William Hill. Place an initial bet of a minimum of £5 and William Hill will match that with a free bet of up to £25. You must enter the promotional code 'F25' when signing up as a new customer.
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
You need to login in order to post your comments
Blogs 168 bloggers
A Lack of Spending Will Curtail Progress by Nuggets
At a time when Fulham have just spent £11m on a striker with no Premiership experience, it's a little disconcerting to see Mick McCarthy announce that the club are relying on freebies and borrowed players once again this term.
Where Do Mick's Intentions Lay? by Mullet
The transfer window is barely open and the club isn't so much gently sucking in the fresh air of inevitable squad change, but blowing out the cobwebs with gusts of activity.
At All Costs? by RaymondovicBlue
OK, so Luis Suarez is an amazing football player. But for his return to fitness and brilliance we might still be in the World Cup! ('might' is a big word).
World Cup 2014 Overall Table at the End of the Group Stage by KBsSocks
I don't think I need to say anything here. I'll just present the overall table as the teams leave the group stage, as I've not seen it elsewhere:
Curse of the Commentator by TheBlueStig
While watching the World Cup coverage from sunny Brazil this summer on ITV and the BBC, I’ve realised a former footballer doesn’t always make quite the same impression when trying his luck at a bit of punditry.
Ipswich Town Polls
[ Vote here ]
TWTD.co.uk Story Archive