Released Manchester United Defender Linked
Tuesday, 18th Jun 2013 09:49
Town and Middlesbrough are chasing released Manchester United central defender Frederic Veseli, according to one of this morning’s tabloids.
The 20-year-old, who has also played at right-back and in central midfield, has also been linked with Crystal Palace, Birmingham, Wigan and unnamed sides in the Bundesliga and Serie A since his Old Trafford exit, but is said to want to stay in England.
A Swiss international at U15, U16, U17 and U18 levels, Veseli joined the Red Devils from rivals Manchester City in January 2012. Previously a youth player with hometown club FC Renens and FC Lausanne-Sport, Veseli is yet to make a senior appearance.
The Blues are in need of additions at centre-half over the summer, but given the budgets of some of the other clubs believed to be interested Veseli would appear an unlikely signing.
Town, who start pre-season training next Monday, are already understood to have offered terms to Blackpool’s out-of-contract defender Kirk Broadfoot, who operates both at right-back and centre-half, and former loanee Reece Brown, who was also released by Manchester United this summer.
Meanwhile, Town are again being linked with a move for out-of-contract striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, who Mick McCarthy took to Wolves in January 2008.
The 27-year-old, who has been persistently mentioned in connection with the Blues since McCarthy took over at Portman Road, is currently sidelined after breaking his leg and undergoing ankle surgery towards the end of the last campaign. He isn't expected to be fit until October.
Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Leeds and Reading have also been linked with the Cambridge-born frontman since he made his Wolves exit with the Eagles believed to be the favourites for his signature.
Whether Town are currently in the market for another striker is questionable with Daryl Murphy recently added to the squad on a permanent basis, David McGoldrick set to sign on July 1st, Paul Taylor back from his long-term foot injury and Frank Nouble having established himself as a regular since joining in January.
Out-of-contract Wycombe winger Joel Grant, who we understand has been offered terms by the Blues, can also play up front, while youngsters Jack Marriott and Tom Winter will also be looking to push on into the first team during the season ahead.
The situation might change if the transfer-listed Michael Chopra – who we understand was interesting Middlesbrough earlier in the summer – is off-loaded, but the 29-year-old has said he is happy to stay for the remaining year of his Town deal.
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
You need to login in order to post your comments
Blogs 224 bloggers
A Plea by BackTheBlues
This isn’t your usual please for unity, I think the ship has sailed on that venture! But rather a plea for the sake of the status of our club.
From Nothing to Something - And Back Again? by monty_radio
On the diamond jubilee of the rise of Ipswich Town from the old Third Division (South) we tremble on the edge of the abyss into which Coventry City have already fallen and have not yet hit the bottom.
It Really Could Be Worse by Superfrans
Instead of trekking all the way to Cardiff this weekend, I decided to go and watch my local team. Leyton Orient were playing Doncaster Rovers, bottom vs top in League Two.
Views of a Young(ish) Town Fan by tractorboy2000
After seeing the new season ticket prices, I felt like writing something would be a good form of therapy to get some things off my chest about Ipswich.
Two Defensive? by rickw
After our most recent bore-draw against Wolves I wondered if playing two defensive midfielders (DM) was just a personal gripe of mine and we actually got better results playing them or the stats backed up what I and I'm sure many other fans think - we shouldn't play two defensive-minded midfielders together.
Ipswich Town Polls
[ Vote here ]