Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 04:48 - Aug 16 with 574 viewsMach_foreignBlue

It was epic. Amazing roller-coaster where anything could have happened. Mix of feelings regarding our actual performance. The draw would have been a fair result but it's 3 points for us so who cares?

The injuries enforced McCarthy to play 4 natural strikers and Ward. I dare to say that it's been the most attacking line-up ever under his tenure. I was a bit disappointed though with news regarding Celina and his illness as I was really looking forward to see him play.

Long list of absences, a bit of makeshift defence but given the amount of strikers we had on the field I wanted and expected goals. Got my wish but our defence was woeful during the first half. That first 45 minutes and the way the match is panning out you re-call Big Fat Joe and some of his crazy performances. Ipswich 6-4 Crewe, Ipswich 3-4 Forest, Ipswich 3-4 Gillingham....... with 'converted' central back Naylor in the middle of the defence. Speaking seriously though it was like watching Jewell's defence at times. We actually got embarrassed once at The Den under him in the shape of 1-4 defeat.

Chambers has been iffy last night in the first half. Has he ever played as a left-sided central back for us? Tough opponents to face in Morison and Gregory and every time Millwall forwards were in our box it always looked very dangerous. The defence all over the place at times. First goal two of our defenders were too focused on Morison and it was Wallace who found himself unchallenged between Spence and Ward and took the simple opportunity from few yards.

The response was magnificent though. In between Millwall's goal and our equaliser they never were in our half. Quick equaliser thanks to Iorfa and his pass to Garner.

Very strange half. We always looked dangerous when making or trying to organise counter-attacks but very dodgy at the back. After about 15 minutes a real moment of scare as Chambers received a heavy knock and spent three minutes on the floor. Don't know how badly it affected him but almost cost us a goal a bit later as his pass back to Bialkowski was very weak but the latter was slightly quicker than Millwall forward.

Our second and third goal. I could watch that several times and still won't get tired of that. The passing between Garner and Ward that led to Waghorn's goal..... a poetry ;)
Third goal......McGoldrick has no chance to catch the ball. From almost impossible angle manages to round the keeper and pull it back. Waghorn's simple tap-in was a formality.

Half time and even though we were winning the feeling was that anything could have happened in the second half. Even Millwall to win given how woeful the defence was at times.

Something must have been said by McCarthy in the dressing room. I bet that his instructions were to give the dodgy defence some kind of help because we looked a different after the interval. To be cynical that was classic McCarthy. Trying to sit on narrow lead ..... I know the defence needed a help but it was too extreme for my liking as Archer had completely nothing to do in the Millwall goal until they equalised. We may have been trying to catch them on the break but we never did so. Archer was really bored apart from one moment when Garner headed over.

Millwall had corner after corner after corner. Thankfully the defence dealt better. But Millwall finally got their reward for their determination 10 minutes from time. No-one could have begrudged them a draw. They weren't brimmed with quality they just did what they could. Yes a kind of disappointment for us but we paid the price for sitting back.

All of sudden the proceedings have changed again and we could only admire the anger among Town players as they were desperate to regain the lead. Millwall seemed content with hard-fought draw and it was us who were in their half.

Two minutes from time. Ward's delivery with pinpoint accuraty and Spence's header caused a madness in Town end. Moments like that........going to be memorable for a while.

We had to return to sitting back as the game looked far from over given the way it panned out over 90 minutes. Very tense and nervy last couple of times.

Never give up attitude and sports anger is one the reasons why we have won it. Their heads could have easily dropped after Millwall's third goal.
Other reasons? Perhaps a bit cynical but it's injuries. I don't believe our line-up would have been so attacking minded had it not been for absences.

Very 'un-McCarthy' kind of performance in the first half. Of course not everything was rosy today the defence in particular. But all is overshadowed by what is most important in a football match that is win and 3 points.

It's safe to say that the dark era after Murphy's departure and failure to replace him is over. Fantastic additions in Garner and Waghorn is what we needed. Them two, their desire and teamwork + McGoldrick were all joy to watch last night.

The question is what we can get when all injured players are back. Any chances to be competitive throughout the season? Hard to say and too early to say. For the time being I'm fully enjoying August and not getting carried away.

What a belter of an evening !!!! That header from Spence..... I still have it in front of my eyes !
[Post edited 16 Aug 2017 4:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024