Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rewriting history 13:53 - Dec 3 with 1644 viewsx123456789

How differently would McCarthy’s tenure be viewed if we had scraped in to the playoffs, instead of 7th, a few seasons ago? If my memory serves me correctly, ipswich would have been Top 6 in March had it not been for throwing away the lead at Bolton to a last minute penalty - that’s singling out one event, but that season arguably turned on a few close games.

Had that season been a top 6 finish it’s hard to believe McCarthy would still be such a divisive character today.
Rewriting history on 16:38 - Dec 3 with 1558 viewsLeoMuff

People were moaning when we won the first 5 in a row, so I doubt it.

Haters gonna hate.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Rewriting history on 16:50 - Dec 3 with 1528 viewspatrickswell

It’s fair to say that a lot of the divisiveness you speak of really started from that time. A couple of days after that Bolton game, I went to see us play Cardiff at the Cardiff City Stadium. A win in that game would have had us right back in contention for the play offs but we put up a really lacklustre performance and lost 1-0. A week later he played Hyam, Skuse and Douglas against relegation threatened Rotherham at Portman Road and we lost again. Most of April 2016 saw us drawing “must win” games, especially at home. It was a damp squib of an ending and it sowed the seeds for a lot of what came the following season.

So far, so good this year - ups and downs but next week is a genuinely big game for us, the first one probably since that Cardiff game but with a lot more promise than there was back then.
Rewriting history on 16:57 - Dec 3 with 1511 viewsSteve_M

We didn't though and, although it was nice to finish seventh, the season was effectively over* after we lost to a dreadful Cardiff side in March. They were dreadful but they still managed a goal which was more than we looked like doing that day.

Cardiff was the match after Bolton and was particularly frustrating about those matches was the failure to build on two good results that might have got the season going again. We won midweek after those and then lost to Rotherham.

So, yes I suppose had we made the play-offs that season some might be happier with MM than they were last Summer. The way we failed to make them was by being poor at home all season and then being even more rubbish when it counted in the run in.

*The same applies to last season the other way round.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Rewriting history on 16:59 - Dec 3 with 1493 viewsBackToRussia

Rewriting history on 16:57 - Dec 3 by Steve_M

We didn't though and, although it was nice to finish seventh, the season was effectively over* after we lost to a dreadful Cardiff side in March. They were dreadful but they still managed a goal which was more than we looked like doing that day.

Cardiff was the match after Bolton and was particularly frustrating about those matches was the failure to build on two good results that might have got the season going again. We won midweek after those and then lost to Rotherham.

So, yes I suppose had we made the play-offs that season some might be happier with MM than they were last Summer. The way we failed to make them was by being poor at home all season and then being even more rubbish when it counted in the run in.

*The same applies to last season the other way round.

There was an odd sense that we'd given up on the season 2 months before it was over. It was very unlike us under MM and maybe that was a particular alienating aspect.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024