Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barney Ronay on the use of video replays in football 12:17 - Jan 13 with 652 viewsSteve_M

I make him pretty much spot on here.

"Refereeing decisions are not the real problem here. The real problem is the ludicrously disproportionate attention devoted to discussing refereeing decisions. The number of actual injustices, as opposed to disagreements, is minuscule next to this overwhelming fog of rage."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jan/13/var-football-referees-emot

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Barney Ronay on the use of video replays in football on 13:28 - Jan 13 with 585 viewstractorshark

VAR will ruin football from a fans’ experience.
Yes you may get the right decisions but it will come at the cost of passion, spontaneity and emotion.
Football is a human game. Humans make mistakes. Mistakes are part of the game, whether they are made by your manager, striker or the referee.
All we are doing now is making the game robotic.
I watch Bundesliga football and have gone to a few German games this season.
Their fans hate VAR because it’s got to the stage where they never know whether to truly celebrate a goal, particularly if it is scored from a corner.
You can argue it doesn’t matter as long as the right decision is reached.
But it’s not that simple. Often it is still open to interpretation, players still go to ground under the slightest contact and, as in the Chelsea v Arsenal game, the action cannot be stopped until a break in play.
That means you can have a penalty disputed at one end, score up the other end and have it chalked off if the earlier penalty is correct. And all the time the game is being held up.
You’ll like the decisions that go in your favour and hate the ones that go against you - but that’s no different to now.
Goal-line technology is a good thing, it makes sense.
VAR may well have the same appeal but it won’t put an end to controversy and it will gradually erode the raw passion in our game.
Mark my words, in years to come, there will be a clamour for it to be used for offsides, corners and throw-ins. If that happens, we might as well scrap two halves and divide the game into quarters.
I’d rather have a useless ref if I’m honest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024