Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 06:55 - Feb 4 with 8662 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Decent away performance. Best I've seen for a while as we have had many poor ones but this is what happens when we show an interest in attacking an opposition.
First half an hour could have been anything. A few worrying moments as we certainly allowed them too much space at times. On 10 min Skuse gave away the ball and it could have ended up badly as Asoro despite tight angle narrowly missed. Couple of minutes later a moment of hesitation from Knudsen which enforced him to pass to Connolly. The latter got easily outmuscled and once again an opportunity for the hosts.

The brightest moment for us during that spell was Waghorn's free-kick as he hit the bar.
Five minutes later another moment when we got away with bad defending. A corner for Sunderland and O'Shea headed wide as he was totally unmarked.

Yes we were under a little cosh. They had too much space but that is not as if they totally dominated us. We tried to play football in a good way with little hoofing.

Garner's goal shot Sunderland's confidence to pieces and they never recovered from this. Their heads totally dropped. They were far from that somewhat impressive first half an hour spell. What followed this goal was most pleasing moment of the day for me. Just go for it, keep on attacking as they are for taking. And that is what he did ! It was a pleasure to watch and the team was rightly rewarded in the shape of the 2nd goal. Ward who himself has had a really good game outran their full-back, great cross that ended up with an own goal.

The half time scoreline a bit harsh on Sunderland for their endeavour but this ain't our problem. Both goals took the entire confidence from them.

There isn't lot to talk about the 2nd half. Sunderland's chaotic attempts caused no problem whatsoever for our much improved defence, much improved in compare to the first half. The only moment which made Bialkowski save was Lua Lua's shot. Town looked content with the two goal lead but Waghorn should really have scored when one on one with Camp. Forgettable 45 minutes but not going to moan over it. Comfortable two goal lead and we never were in a danger of squandering this.

It's a shame we don't produce more displays like this. When you compare it to the Bolton two weeks ago it's like a night and day. Different approach, different football yet there were some silly, really stupid comments on here that we 'looked like good team at Bolton' whereas we had been bang awful. Today we didn't even hoof much. Not even from Chambers.
Compare it also to Hull from last November. We had been 1-0 up and allowed opposition to come back and have a go at us. Nowhere near that today as we went to attack the opposition instead of sitting back.

Grant Ward deserves a special mention as it certainly has been his best performance for a long time. Waghorn also stood out in the 1st half.

Yes I would have cursed McCarthy for having left Celina on the bench if we hadn't won. He would have torn them apart on his own.

Funeral atmosphere among the home crowd but don't blame them for this. As ourselves they are owned by disinterested person who don't back his managers. Still though it's baffling why the players of McGeady and LuaLua's calibre started on the bench. Both proven at this level and Josh Emmanuel in particular knows what they are capable of as they tormented him in the past (McGeady and Preston away last season, Lua Lua during the Brighton's 3-2 win at Portman Road couple of seasons ago).

Brilliant first goal, brilliant set-up for the second, keeping the opponents under control. The performance like that though not completely perfect still makes hell of a difference as all I ask for is to show a desire to attack an opposition. Don't sit back and focus on stopping them from playing just have balls to attack them. Yesterday that was the case so really pleased.
Match thoughts on 05:11 - Feb 5 with 407 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 23:32 - Feb 4 by Mach_foreignBlue

Away win always delicious regardless of the style we play. But the style yesterday was different and we got rewarded by that. Shame you couldn't witness it.

It was a nice break yesterday from the depressing, painful apathy that surrounds the club. Good win but obviously it doesn't change the general situation and my personal view. Still firmly anti-Evans and anti-McCarthy and my prediction is similar to yours as I also predict us to be relegated in the next two years. The only difference between mine and yours is that we'll go down with or without McCarthy. Obviously that applies to the current policy under Evans. If he doesn't change it we won't be able to keep our heads above the water forever.

No not going to Norwich. Preston away is my next one. Crap kick-off time and no trains from Manchester to Norwich early morning. Even if they were I'd have the same reason as you yesterday in the shape of bad prices. I had spent a few hours in the coach when travelling down to London and from there to Portman Road last October to watch our 0-1 defeat to them. It was somewhat gruelling so not going to do it again. I'll be kicking every ball in front of my telly.

Shame you are not going to Norwich.

I have a feeling we will do them this time.

It will be 'scenes absolute scenes' when we do!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024