Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year 09:44 - Sep 21 with 5833 viewstpsontour

Martin Samuel today:

Point two: Ipswich — fascinating this season, so I’m told.

Reader

Martin’s comments about Ipswich are typical of people who never actually visited Portman Road to watch the turgid non-football that Mick McCarthy’s team played week after week. Thousands of fans had voted with their feet, me included. I returned this season and have seen two entertaining games. Yes, the new manager is inexperienced at this level, but so were our most successful managers when they were appointed. Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson did rather well given time, so most fans are happy to give Paul Hurst our full support. John Freezer, Stowmarket.

Reader

Ramsey and Robson were a different era. Your new, inexperienced, manager is operating under Marcus Evans. What McCarthy did under this constraint really was remarkable. Tyrone Mings bought for £10,000, sold for around £8m. Aaron Cresswell before him, £240,000 paid, sold for £3.75m plus add-ons. Huge profits on your best players, having to scrape lower and lower down the barrel to replace. McCarthy had you in the play-offs, and just outside the following season, it was hardly poor form. You should direct your anger towards Evans, not McCarthy. Krissyfer, Liverpool.

Samuel

Looking at the timing of his post, I’m guessing the two matches that John had witnessed the season at that point were the 2-2 opening day draw to Blackburn, and the 1-1 with Aston Villa on August 18. It wouldn’t have looked too bad back then. Since when there have been a further two 1-1 home draws, with Norwich and Brentford, so I hope he enjoys repetition: four draws, three with the same scoreline. He doesn’t mention going away to watch, but that’s now four straight defeats, seven goals conceded to one scored. Oh, and a EFL Cup exit at Exeter. I’ve got to admit, it all sounds fascinating and highly entertaining, what with the thrill of being bottom after eight games, and all the resulting tension. I am certainly feeling chastened for saying that McCarthy was doing an excellent job in reduced circumstances, given the meagre levels of investment, and that the quality of football was more a reflection of that than his personal preferences. Anyway, enjoy the thrills of this season, John, and the heady anticipation of that first win. At this rate, McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year, 12 months after terminating his employment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-6185645/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Jose-Mourinho-Wa
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 14:13 - Sep 21 with 701 viewsBerkshire_Blue

Is Mick briefing Martin? No mention of Ipswich by Samuel for ages, then 3 come along in two weeks. apart from that, I don't get the impression there is tension at Portman Road, just good wishes that Paul Hurst gets his first win tomorrow. It's a new beginning and no one is expecting miracles this season.
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 15:22 - Sep 21 with 676 viewsWickets

As someone who was happy to see the end of Micks spell at Town, the longest job he had managed in football, i think as long as we manage to avoid relegation i will feel the right choice was made. Hope for better of course. As the OP has said sure Samuel never watch Town under Mick just we are an easy target at the moment for a lazy jorno.
Martin Samuel: McCarthy could be the first man to win Manager of the Year on 18:13 - Sep 21 with 635 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Ill take note if Martin Samuel had been a season ticket holder for the last 2 years. If not, keep guestimating your stories from a lazy outsiders perspective.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024