Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone interested in what Ken Clarke is telling the Germans about the Tory Party 13:27 - Feb 9 with 3066 viewsWeWereZombies

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/interview-with-kenneth-clarke-on-brex

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Anyone interested in what Ken Clarke is telling the Germans about the Tory Party on 18:49 - Feb 9 with 354 viewsRyorry

Anyone interested in what Ken Clarke is telling the Germans about the Tory Party on 17:53 - Feb 9 by WeWereZombies

Now that I have bitten the bullet and bought a nice little Dell chromebook to make up for not having my lovely Moto3 smartphone to browse the web from a phone and having given up on my rubbish HP Windows 10 laptop which started to misbehave after a year and a day of purchase I am able to catch up on iPlayer.

And one of the things I am catching up on is a series on BBC Two called 'Inside Europe: Ten Years of Turmoil'. Fascinating series and perhaps it shows how resilient the EU is becoming (providing the politicians at the top are capable and I do worry what happens when Merkel stands down or is completely voted out). All is not well and I do not think the series gives us anything like the whole story or ,indeed. is free from bias, but it is worth having a look at because it gives perspective.

Funny you should mention that series WWZ ..!

Ryorry p8

No deal brexit amendment on 13:28 - Jan 29 (a StokieBlue thread)

"Plus ca change since about 2013 then.

Anyone see this last night on BBC2? https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c1rjkc/inside-europe-ten-years-of-turmoi

Very, very enlightening - whole thing as seen from behind the scenes - former and current players, such as George Osborne and Tusk, both of whom came out of it surprisingly well, I thought. A recurring theme was how little the UK actually understands of the EU and its workings, including current negotiations - ie Brexit negotiations are nothing whatsoever like "normal" EU negotiations (where 28 countries' heads of state were arguing into the wee small hours and last minute deals were done because everyone got so tired and fed up). With Brexit it's the UK negotiating only with the EU's officials, and they have to stay strictly in line with agreements, therefore they simply won't renegotiate. All the EU officials that appeared seemed pretty baffled/fed up with our politicians' apparent inability or unwillingness to grasp this!

Another hugely interesting point to emerge (sorry if obvious to others, it hadn't been to me) - was that it was only a freaky circumstance which eventually brought about the Referendum - ie Cameron & Co weren't expecting such a big win in the 2015 GE which gave them an overall majority, therefore no excuse to not have the referendum. They'd been expecting to have to form another coalition with the LibDems, and that Nick Clegg would have then automatically blocked any move for the Ref."

Good to see you back btw - didn't you go abroad somewhere to the back of beyond without internet access, or is that just my rubbish memory..?
[Post edited 9 Feb 2019 18:53]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024