Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's gone wrong and what do we need to do? 16:06 - Dec 22 with 571 viewsChocorange

Let me start by saying I think we have been unfortunate in some games recently , I am not interested in the stat of games without a win, a number of these were cup games were we played weakened teams.
Of the others , Blackpool were given a penalty for a blatant dive that cost us a win.
Against Wycombe the imbecile in the middle ruled out a perfectly good goal which again would have won us the game .
The ref yesterday made ludicrous decisions and lost control , many of those decisions that did go our way, being those where he stopped play to give us a free kick it or throw in our own half allowing Pompey to get back and reorganise, this same ref did exactly the same at Luton.

But we are not playing well, there have been halves of games such as Sunderland And Coventry where we should have been out of site by half time but others where we have struggled to create anything ..like yesterday.

So what do we need to do? A more settled team would help but players in their strongest positions is also a must.
Skuse is not a right back , weak there in the last home again and caught out between trying to be right back and def mid For the goal at Pompey.
He started the season well , but has been nothing like that recently , if he is to play this leads me to my next point. At the start of the season we often played with Skuse and Downes shielding our defence , this led to a long run of games without conceding. Our defence is not top class and needs this protection.
The reason we have moved away from it is to try and play 3 central midd or 4 if the diamond is in use . Nolan for all his neat and tidiness is playing further forward than those 2 but is offering little goal threat , See number of goals assists or passes into the strikers ... Yesterday he had a great chance to shoot but instead chose to pass. Not sure he is strong enough as an attacking player to play there , nor is he good enough defensively to dislodge Skuse and Downes if they are playing well.

Keane does not look to have the killer goal instinct , he is strong with the ball at his feet and often moves far more than anyone else to get the ball under control from throws , his passing and control may mean he could play the role Nolan is playin now IF we persist with a formation that has 3 central mids.

Jackson looks lively out wide , should be tried as a winger instead of the other misfiring option we keep going to in the wide positions, that again set up little in goal chances. I would have Jackson one side and Garbutt on the left , we were much more attack minded with him in a left sided midfield role , fans of the Oxfird team he was on loan at last season also rated him much more there. If this means Kenlock has to come back in, or we get a left back in in Jan.

So a 442 would seem to suit us best with Sears and Norwood up top.

I also think we should try to play to Norwoods strengths , watch some games of him at Tranmere , the ball was played into spaces for him to make runs into , we are not using him to his maximum potential

This means there are some players that we should look to move on, or send back... Judge Georgiou, Roberts , Huws is not getting game time or a chance , Edwards although he fills a slot on the right , is again not creating goals or many chances, nor is he strong enough defensively.
Rowe I would let go, his runs at defences are all too few and far between , lucky to see more than 1 in a game.

There are question marks over others , Bishop now has to prove himself and quickly , Dozz and El Miz likewise, Wilson a no nonsense defender but his passing is atrocious , so why give it to him if we are trying to create. If Kenlock isn't good enough for a league 1 starter , should he be here ? Opposition teams targeted him at the start of the season as he was often out of position , if given another chance he has to sort that out or be allowed to leave.

Currently we have failed to beat any of the other teams in the top 8 , if you include Portsmouth and Sunderland who have been underachieving but will surely end the season in the top 8 , that's the top 10 and we still havent beaten any of them .

Some thought And a plan is needed, our strongest team needs to play together more often , hard work on the training ground, stop the goals going in and create more chances.

I am sure that most fans don't give a monkeys whether the players that are not first choice are happy or not , if it's a choice between promotion and keeping substitute players happy and content , then we know what the fans answer and ultimately Marcus Evans answer will be.

I believe Lambert is the right man , we do need to get back to basics.
What's gone wrong and what do we need to do? on 22:12 - Dec 22 with 477 viewscooperd5

Make a lot of sense there. Frustrating as it is, we still have the bones of a decent team, just need to start playing. If I were coaching them, I'd be practicing corners and free kicks all day, plus some transition from defence to attack play, we are simply too slow to break. And how about letting the ball run past and running on to it instead of stopping it and playing it backwards?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024