Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The EU's top scientist has resigned after only 3 months 22:56 - Apr 7 with 3751 viewsStokieBlue

Professor Mauro Ferrari (great name) has resigned as the president of the European Research Council. He was not impressed that the EU couldn't mount a coordinated response to the virus across the whole block.

"I arrived at the ERC a fervent supporter of the EU [but] the Covid-19 crisis completely changed my views, though the ideals of international collaboration I continue to support with enthusiasm."

That's sad.

I wonder whether there will be any long-term fallout within the EU will be from C-19. There seem to be quite a few dissenting voices at the moment but a lot of that could just be frustration at the very difficult circumstances everyone is facing.

Edit, more of the statement has been released:

"I have been extremely disappointed by the European response to Covid-19, for what pertains to the complete absence of coordination of health care policies among member states, the recurrent opposition to cohesive financial support initiatives, the pervasive one-sided border closures, and the marginal scale of synergistic scientific initiatives.

I am afraid that I have seen enough of both the governance of science, and the political operations at the European Union.

In these three long months, I have indeed met many excellent and committed individuals, at different levels of the organisation of the ERC and the EC.

However, I have lost faith in the system itself. And now the times require decisive, focused, and committed actions — a call to responsibility for all those that have an aspiration to make a difference against this devastating tragedy."

He's not held back there.

SB
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 23:00]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The EU's top scientist has resigned after only 3 months on 00:05 - Apr 10 with 206 viewsmidastouch

The EU's top scientist has resigned after only 3 months on 23:38 - Apr 9 by midastouch

The economic Twilight Zone!

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024