Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End or a era 12:16 - May 10 with 661 viewsMartus

Before Mick McCarthy - we were very unstable. Year after year we would have completely new squads, with a mass exodus of loans leaving or new signings. We would have new managers in with new ideas and never had anything to build on. We never had any spine to build around or any stability. It was one thing i hated - it never felt like we were building.

Then McCarthy came in and gave us that consistency - that longer term plan and we had players that would be her longer term and that built a great team to be proud of. Chambers and Skuse were a massive part of that and we have to be thankful to them. The last few years have been awful - but they never shied away and were always there. I for one will be sad when/if they depart this summer. I understand that they do have to leave - but it will be said to see players who have given their all for so long go. Especially to no crowd - definitely feel they deserve a testimonial. But feel it would not go down well with alot of supporters.

Chambers has been a great captain - maybe performances have been inconsistent and he has been at fault. But my God does he care and he has gone far and beyond what a captain should do. Housing our younger players? What a guy! And then his infamous fist pumps at the end of a win - he really has been a great asset to this club. And a great captain.

Skuse is/was a tidy midfielder and has been very loyal to us and been a ever present since his arrival. He didn't get the headlines - but a important part to our stay in the championship and in getting to the play offs.

I will be sad to see the back of them - a new era is needed and they will need to go. But i hope we don't go backwards and we get players with their passion and pride who will stay longer term to build for future seasons and not just to get out of league 1.

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

End or a era on 12:34 - May 10 with 543 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick did sign a lot of players in the first couple of seasons. There was a fair bit of churn to overhaul the squad. Luckily he managed to put out competitive teams. But you’re right that he was looking for a core, certainly the spine, of the team.

With the youngsters available that really weren’t there when Mick came in, Cook doesn’t need the same overhaul or wheeling and dealing so should be a bit quicker. And easier in League One anyway given we’re at the top end of the financial table down here.

I think three or four key signings, and a few more for cover/punts on potentially undervalued players, should be enough.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024