Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we a soft touch? 14:02 - Nov 23 with 1746 viewsBonneNIL

In the break room discussing football as normal. We get to my turn to discuss Ipswich and I explain the results, mates look up the league table on the phone and are surprised to see us doing so poorly. It's a mixture of supporters here, top teams, then some smaller clubs. The Watford and West Ham lads asked me a question as to why we were so patient as supporters, I said we like to be good supporters of the club and get behind the team and vision. They basically pointed the minute they threatened to be in the Championship longer than 5 minutes they kicked off and yet Ipswich, a side once of similar size to theirs, fans aren't making any noise about 3 seasons in the middle of League One.

Now that's the debate we had in broad strokes, but the question was, are we too much of a soft touch as supporters and far too forgiving? Is that at the centre of the decline as much as anything else?

Just a thought from outside the camp I guess.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Are we a soft touch? on 17:00 - Nov 23 with 165 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Are we a soft touch? on 16:31 - Nov 23 by istanblue

Absolutely we are. Literally been saying this for YEARS. Evans got away with mediocrity, failure, false promises and neglect precisely because fans kept silent. The first serious anti-Evans chant I heard was at the Fleetwood home game in 19/20 (just before COVID). Until then, most fans either just happy-clapped, grumbled quietly or stayed away. Take this season as well for example, the expectations have been significantly downgraded compared to what was largely expected at the start of the season. Many were saying top 2, then after the poor start it became top 6, now some 'fans' are saying ''it's a 2 year project''. It's embarrassing actually.

I do in fact blame supporters for some part of the decline, yes. Happy-clapping and making excuses for failure and underachievement makes the whole vibe around the club one of tolerance and, indeed acceptance of, failure. I have no doubt that if much more noise was made during the Evans era shambles then he would've sold-up far sooner. As for the present, the same happy-clappers are now making excuses for Cook and his gis a job mates. They seem to find it utterly bewildering why other fans have the audacity to question a man who has a 30% win percentage whilst managing ITFC in the third-tier of English football. I'm not saying we should be creating a toxic atmosphere at matches, but simply pointing out that the new 'Cook cult' is cringeworthy and is not in the interests of the club. Remember, it's Ipswich Town FC, not Paul Cook FC.

Don't forget that we have had a number of people who were THANKING Evans on the day the club announced its sale.

We would have been on the way to League Two had he stayed on. Some people would have defend him as they were for years.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2021 17:02]
Are we a soft touch? on 17:43 - Nov 23 with 136 viewsHighgateBlue

Are we a soft touch? on 16:44 - Nov 23 by Guthrum

Lambert, perhaps. Don't believe losing McCarthy sooner would have been particularly beneficial (especially if the same errors were made after).

As for Evans, we didn't have the leverage until a suitable buyer came along - or it might have caused him to sell to someone much worse!

Absolutely. I was as frustrated by the lack of success under Evans as the next chap, but I was always troubled by "Evans out!" when there was no suggestion of what might replace him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024