Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bankster 19:01 - Apr 13 with 398 viewsjeera

Or other insect fanciers, or whatever you're known as.

I've been seeing this insect a lot which turns out to be a mimic fly; Bombylius major.

Now I could see it wasn't a bee and yes I've probably seen them hundreds of times but I've never taken much notice until now.

So having looked it up and seeing it positions its lava where it can crawl into the homes of solitary bees and eat their own offspring, my question is this.

Is their existence beneficial overall taking into account that although they do pollinate themselves they are also responsible for killing other pollinators?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bankster on 22:24 - Apr 13 with 299 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A fine insect, however if they truly pollinate themselves rather than plants and kill other pollinators then their aesthetic value is somewhat undermined.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Bankster on 22:28 - Apr 13 with 292 viewsjeera

Bankster on 22:24 - Apr 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

A fine insect, however if they truly pollinate themselves rather than plants and kill other pollinators then their aesthetic value is somewhat undermined.

I realised afterwards how I'd worded that but hoped I'd got away with it.

Do you have any insight into those things and potential damage Vs benefits regarding nature?

I have looked at several sites but they all give the same info from what I've seen so far.

I have one - it could be several, they all look the same - that has been hanging about looking a bit dodgy outside my door for the past few days.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bankster on 22:48 - Apr 13 with 284 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Bankster on 22:28 - Apr 13 by jeera

I realised afterwards how I'd worded that but hoped I'd got away with it.

Do you have any insight into those things and potential damage Vs benefits regarding nature?

I have looked at several sites but they all give the same info from what I've seen so far.

I have one - it could be several, they all look the same - that has been hanging about looking a bit dodgy outside my door for the past few days.

It could explain the very long proboscis.
They are active very early in the Spring so maybe they get bonus pollinating points for that. I was watching one earlier this week laying eggs in other insects nesting holes on a bare earth bank.

[Post edited 13 Apr 2022 22:58]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024