Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Box or boxwood blight 17:50 - Aug 11 with 918 viewsDJR

We have four quite sizeable box (or boxwood) plants in our garden.

One died a couple of years ago. It is in a different part of the garden to the others, and I put it down to a lack of water.

However over the course of the last year, the other three box plants have been affected, and it now looks like they have largely died off.

The disease is apparently called box or boxwood blight, and is something I knew nothing about until relatively recently. Had I known earlier maybe I could have done something about it, because a neighbour at my mother's house was out a couple of weeks ago picking out the dead leaves. He also mentioned that it had had an impact on some ornamental box plants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxwood_blight

Sadly, in the last few weeks it has recently spread to the eight small box plants we keep in pots.

Anyone else suffered this.

Box or boxwood blight on 18:52 - Aug 11 with 871 viewsbluefunk

Likewise we didn’t know anything about the blight until it was too late. Lost 5 10 year old lovingly pruned specimens a couple of years ago, would have cost £600 to replace at half the size. We didn’t replace them. Annoyingly, my brother in law is a landscape gardener, who said, “oh, yeah, I should have told you about that” 😡
Box or boxwood blight on 18:58 - Aug 11 with 858 viewsCheltenham_Blue

There’s a lot of it about, Road by me where I walk the dog, has had every single box plant down the entire length of the road affected by it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Box or boxwood blight on 19:08 - Aug 11 with 829 viewsipswichlt

Box or boxwood blight on 18:58 - Aug 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

There’s a lot of it about, Road by me where I walk the dog, has had every single box plant down the entire length of the road affected by it.

We had a similar problem but it was the caterpillar that only attacks the buxus, started by hand picking them out but there was so many of them, came across this product what you spray on and within 48hours it kills the caterpillar,from looking nearly dead I now have thriving shrubs again, try it
Box or boxwood blight on 19:10 - Aug 11 with 819 viewsipswichlt

It’s by Topbuxus and is call xentari
Box or boxwood blight on 19:12 - Aug 11 with 815 viewsDubaITFC

Sounds like it's probably the box moth, not a blight as such. The caterpillars can munch through a garden in a matter of days. The leaves brown off and the plant dies. Have a look for some green hairless caterpillars. We've saved our box plants from several attacks by using a product called Xen Tari or something similar that infects them with nematodes that eat them from within. It's a horrible way for them to die but I do like my box bushes to be green and alive.
Box or boxwood blight on 19:14 - Aug 11 with 812 viewsipswichlt

Box or boxwood blight on 19:12 - Aug 11 by DubaITFC

Sounds like it's probably the box moth, not a blight as such. The caterpillars can munch through a garden in a matter of days. The leaves brown off and the plant dies. Have a look for some green hairless caterpillars. We've saved our box plants from several attacks by using a product called Xen Tari or something similar that infects them with nematodes that eat them from within. It's a horrible way for them to die but I do like my box bushes to be green and alive.

Exactly the same with mine and same product
Box or boxwood blight on 19:29 - Aug 11 with 796 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Box or boxwood blight on 19:08 - Aug 11 by ipswichlt

We had a similar problem but it was the caterpillar that only attacks the buxus, started by hand picking them out but there was so many of them, came across this product what you spray on and within 48hours it kills the caterpillar,from looking nearly dead I now have thriving shrubs again, try it

I’ll not be trying it at all. It’s in the road I walk my dog on, it’s their problem.

Box or boxwood blight on 19:36 - Aug 11 with 786 viewsipswichlt

Box or boxwood blight on 19:29 - Aug 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

I’ll not be trying it at all. It’s in the road I walk my dog on, it’s their problem.

Ok then I was only trying to help, you must get really bored in your life commenting on something that isn’t your problem
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 19:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Box or boxwood blight on 19:42 - Aug 11 with 771 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Yep, happened to us 2 years ago, we had about 10 box bushes, the whole lot died. Ripped them out last winter, have planted flower beds instead. Bummer because they looked really smart and were low maintenance. There is nothing you can do about it. Like Dutch Elm disease. Or supporting Naarwich.

Poll: would you rather

Box or boxwood blight on 19:49 - Aug 11 with 766 viewsDJR

Box or boxwood blight on 19:08 - Aug 11 by ipswichlt

The man opposite my mother's said it was the caterpillar for him but I haven't been able to find them, so I have assumed it is blight.

However, I've come across this which suggests both are possible, and will investigate further.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/pdf/garden-solutions-dealing-with-box-problems.pd

And I'll tell the man opposite my mother's about the solution for caterpillar.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 19:51]
Box or boxwood blight on 19:56 - Aug 11 with 749 viewsipswichlt

Box or boxwood blight on 19:49 - Aug 11 by DJR

The man opposite my mother's said it was the caterpillar for him but I haven't been able to find them, so I have assumed it is blight.

However, I've come across this which suggests both are possible, and will investigate further.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/pdf/garden-solutions-dealing-with-box-problems.pd

And I'll tell the man opposite my mother's about the solution for caterpillar.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 19:51]

I’ve about 20 in a line and they were infested, problem over now til next year but will be ready for them🐛
Box or boxwood blight on 20:53 - Aug 11 with 693 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Box or boxwood blight on 19:36 - Aug 11 by ipswichlt

Ok then I was only trying to help, you must get really bored in your life commenting on something that isn’t your problem
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 19:38]

What an odd reaction.

Box or boxwood blight on 21:14 - Aug 11 with 675 viewsipswichlt

Box or boxwood blight on 20:53 - Aug 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

What an odd reaction.

I thought the same about yours 🔵⚪️
Box or boxwood blight on 22:01 - Aug 11 with 643 viewsSchancheITFC

We use a special spray at work. We managed to save the ones at Wivenhoe House that were half gone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024