Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leeds (H) - A forum preview 15:30 - Aug 25 with 718 viewsSarge

After ending a miserable record at Loftus Road last week, we return to Portman Road to welcome one of the only teams we managed to beat when we last graced this division, a last-minute goal from the legendary Collin Quanar saw us to a 3-2 victory over Leeds as we bowed out of the division and Leeds prepared for the playoffs. Time has moved on and we sit top of the early season table whilst softly spoken former Norwich boss Daniel Farke returns to East Anglia, managing a similarly unlikeable but more illustrious team and looking for his first win with his new side.

The Ipswich Connection

There are no former blues in the Leeds squad, which makes sense as they’ve spent the last four years in the Premier League and we’ve spent the bulk of it being largely terrible. We of course though boast one former Leeds player in the form of Leif Davis, signed last summer in a deal that is looking better and better by the day. Here’s a snippet of Leeds conversations down the years regarding our highly rated left back:

In 2019 after being included regularly in pre-season squads

"This young lad could quite easily become a regular in our First XI ahead of all the kids touted on here"

In 2021 upon leaving for Bournemouth on loan but with an expectation that he would then subsequently be sold

"Never really rated Davis, never really stood out for me at U23 level like the likes of Cresswell, Huggins, Greenwood, Geldherdt, Drameh, Kenneh and Summerville did"

In 2022 upon joining Ipswich

"Best LB at the club and we let him go, could've send [former Barcelona fullback Junior] firpo instead."

"Always had high hopes for "Very Good Davis." But his stats last season and the fact he's going to league one IpsBitch. Just tells you he's not up to standard."

"Good luck to Leif by the way, I hope he does well despite the fact I hate Ipswich"

It came as a bit of a shock to me to see that we’re not all that popular with a handful of Leeds fans, I’m not entirely sure why. Maybe it’s because we all but relegated them in 2007, maybe it’s because we didn’t take their coin and missile throwing in good grace, who can say? Anyway, continuing on..

2023 after we had secured promotion to the Championship

"Leif Davis has helped Ipswich promote to the Championship.
This is one season after he helped Bournemouth promote to the Prem.
Davis created 132 chances for a team that finished the season with 101 goals, the highest in England’s top four divisions.
Not bad for a lwb.
He has 14 assists ( one every three games)
Jesse Marsch told him he didn't want him AFTER Firpo was injured in pre season. We can see him bombing past us next season in the flesh."

I'm not playing!

Leeds welcomed back Luis Sinisterra and Wilfried Gnonto into their squad this week, rather unfortunately for us boosting their forward line options as they continue the search for their first win of the season. To add to that, they have added Joel Piroe from Swansea although at the time of writing it remains to be seen if he will be eligible in time to play on Saturday. Regardless, Leeds now present a different proposition to the team that has struggled so far on their return to the Championship. One can only hope that Farke doesn’t choose to reward refusing to play for the team so far this season with an instant return to the starting lineup, a decision that it seems some Leeds fans would support

"Leeds fans at work are unanimous in rejecting Gnonto's return to first team football, whereas I'm the only one to forgive and accept him back into the team. I respect his decision to apply for a transfer but not his refusal to play."

"I must say I am eating humble pie here. I have been taking the hard-arsed business approach that we should cash in on the little f**ker and buy someone who wants to play here. I didn't see him wearing a leeds shirt again.
Looks like I was wrong.
If he starts scoring goals (for us, that is!) I will go even further and stop calling him Knobnto."

The game itself

Mixed views so far on how the game will pan out, the positive news out of Elland Road this week with the return of the forwards has energised some of the fanbase, whilst others remain cautious and are of the opinion we may be a bit of a step up than their other fixtures so far

"Cardiff, Birmingham, and west brom are far from world beaters and we could not beat any of them , Ipswich are actually the first team we will play who are fancied to do well and are currently top of the league, if as I suspect we get beat it will set a precedent throughout the season , where more [forum] members will guess with their head rather than their heart"

"The tractor boys have ploughed their way past Sunderland, Stoke, and QPR on their way to the Championship summit, and are firm favourite for the win. Leeds may be desperate for their first league win of the season, but theoretically, the pressure is off, which could work in their favour."

Much as we did last week with QPR, Leeds fans are hoping to end their own away ground curse

"Without sounding negative, it’s just reality, Portman Rd is a graveyard for us."

"I've been to PR to watch Leeds 3 times and Ipswich beat us every time. Even the season after we were Champions! Not a happy hunting ground for us"

I share the opinions of some in that I can't decide if we've caught a team in transition and should therefore be favourites or if we've possibly caught them a week too late now that they have strengthened their attack with the return (at least for now) of Gnonto and Sinisterra and addition of Piroe

"Ipswich are very beatable, I am not doing the prediction thread - but I think we will come out on top 3-1."

"Probably the first test, I reckon if this game came in two weeks we would win but it is a bit soon for us."

I may look to update this section before the game with any last minute insights

One last thing

A traffic warning for anyone traveling to the game from east of Ipswich, avoid the Orwell Bridge both by road and by water

"I think you should dangle yourself by your bollox off teh Orwell bridge, like you suggested earlier"

And for anyone in the lower Cobbold, I suggest bringing some kind of sturdy helmet as the weather is expected to be fine and dry with an increased chance of flying coins and plastic seats. Leeds are in town again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024