Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Abolition of peak rail fares 15:43 - Sep 13 with 695 viewsDJR

This may not get much coverage outside Scotland but this is an interesting experiment from an environmental and cost of living point of view, bringing Scotland more into line with what goes on in Europe. But I can't see it ever being tried in England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66795296
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 15:44]
Abolition of peak rail fares on 15:51 - Sep 13 with 647 viewsTractorBrew

The whole system needs an overhaul, so it is good to see some ideas like this being piloted. I believe they are piloting demand based, airline style fares on some routes in England, similar to airline ticketing - which is also a good idea.

Recently travelled from Leamington to Newcastle 1st class (company policy, not choice). Advance fare was £670 return, which I got down to £270 using split tickets. A colleague flew from London to Newcastle for £145. I can suck up the extra journey time and thoroughly enjoyed the journey, but the cost element really bugged me and is anti everything we should be encouraging as a nation
Abolition of peak rail fares on 16:13 - Sep 13 with 597 viewsDJR

Abolition of peak rail fares on 15:51 - Sep 13 by TractorBrew

The whole system needs an overhaul, so it is good to see some ideas like this being piloted. I believe they are piloting demand based, airline style fares on some routes in England, similar to airline ticketing - which is also a good idea.

Recently travelled from Leamington to Newcastle 1st class (company policy, not choice). Advance fare was £670 return, which I got down to £270 using split tickets. A colleague flew from London to Newcastle for £145. I can suck up the extra journey time and thoroughly enjoyed the journey, but the cost element really bugged me and is anti everything we should be encouraging as a nation

Even a 2nd class peak return from where I live in West Kent to Liverpool costs £417 which is just crazy because there may be many occasions when people not travelling on expenses have to purchase such tickets.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 16:13]
Abolition of peak rail fares on 16:19 - Sep 13 with 569 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Assuming this is government led rather than the private operators? In which case you then end up with a situation where those on lower incomes who rarely use rail, subsidising better off commuters (especially those in the Home Counties travelling into London.

That said other than London I would always drive - even off peak the fares are hilariously expensive (unless you know you are travelling somewhere in 18 months, at a specific time, and are prepared to swap train 17 times).
Abolition of peak rail fares on 16:26 - Sep 13 with 555 viewsJ2BLUE

The government should pass a law allowing people to choose to work from home if their job allows it.

It has a ton of benefits for the individual and would help the fight against climate change as well as ease congestion during peak times on the roads and on trains. I'm not suggesting that people who want to go to the office shouldn't but I don't see any reason why the likes of call centre staff should make a pointless journey to work to sit at a desk and do a job they could do from home.

I don't expect any Tory government to introduce this measure and it's probably much too radical for Starmer but it would seem a sensible measure. I don't want to hear about the businesses who depend on office workers. I would feel sorry for them but I don't see why people should be forced to continue to go to the office just to keep the local sandwich shop in business.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Abolition of peak rail fares on 18:27 - Sep 13 with 460 viewsEastTownBlue

With the income of rail fares going to the Treasury I can't see that happening down here. The peak return fare from Ipswich to London is £95 and the trains are busier than what some try to claim.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024