Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Climate change: 'Uncharted territory' fears after record hot March 09:11 - Apr 9 with 298 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68665166

'Temperatures should temporarily come down after El Niño peters out in coming months, but some scientists are worried they might not.

"By the end of the summer, if we're still looking at record breaking temperatures in the North Atlantic or elsewhere, then we really have kind of moved into uncharted territory," Gavin Schmidt, the director of Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, told BBC News.
'

...and

'Dr Schmidt is concerned about what this means for predictions going forward.

"Our predictions failed quite dramatically for the specifics of 2023, and if previous statistics don't work, then it becomes much harder to say what's going to happen in the future," he said.

"We're still trying to understand why the situation changed so dramatically in the middle of last year, and how long this situation will continue, whether it is a phase shift or whether it's a blip in long-term climate trends," agrees Dr Samantha Burgess from Copernicus.
'

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Climate change: 'Uncharted territory' fears after record hot March on 13:24 - Apr 9 with 199 viewsNthQldITFC

It will be a complex equation for sure, one which we probably couldn't solve on a specific, local level, but I'm wondering how much effect this sustained jump in SST has on tidal flooding events.

I'm thinking specifically of The Strand at Wherstead which seems to flood very regularly now, and leaves a road full of debris and salt water puddles with the enhanced corrosion that brings to one's undercarriage.

Spring tides and atmospheric pressure are probably far more significant factors than thermal expansion I'm sure, but by 'eck, that road (and others further North) is becoming a bit of a b****rd.

What I should do is try to find out

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024