Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe Standing 13:21 - May 8 with 1265 viewsMagic31

What with it being back up for debate lately, I found myself wondering why Brentford are permitted terracing?

Don't get me wrong, it's bloody brilliant and generates a hell of an atmosphere, but why, if they can have it, can't we?

I'm 99% sure I'm being insanely naive to the debate (is safe standing different to terracing?) but it's come across my mind and I realised I don't know the answer.
Safe Standing on 13:24 - May 8 with 1254 viewsTractorCam

It's permitted in league 1 and 2 and then clubs should get rid of it after 3 seasons in the championship (Like Peterborough did). No idea why Brentford still have theirs but they are getting a new ground so that's probably why.

Safe standing uses rail seats on every row

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Safe Standing on 13:26 - May 8 with 1244 viewslinhdi

Safe Standing on 13:24 - May 8 by TractorCam

It's permitted in league 1 and 2 and then clubs should get rid of it after 3 seasons in the championship (Like Peterborough did). No idea why Brentford still have theirs but they are getting a new ground so that's probably why.

Safe standing uses rail seats on every row

Clubs promoted into the Championship have 2 years to convert terracing into seating. Brentford (and Cardiff previously) were given a dispensation for another year or two as they were moving to new all-seater grounds.
Safe Standing on 13:32 - May 8 with 1225 viewsMagic31

Safe Standing on 13:26 - May 8 by linhdi

Clubs promoted into the Championship have 2 years to convert terracing into seating. Brentford (and Cardiff previously) were given a dispensation for another year or two as they were moving to new all-seater grounds.

Interesting that clubs are granted a certain dispensation when presumably the reason for converting is for safety reasons.

I just hope safe standing gets the go ahead.
Safe Standing on 13:45 - May 8 with 1197 viewsDanFord

Safe Standing on 13:32 - May 8 by Magic31

Interesting that clubs are granted a certain dispensation when presumably the reason for converting is for safety reasons.

I just hope safe standing gets the go ahead.

Which just goes to prove really that safety isn't the issue or they'd have been forced to convert it regardless of what was happening in a year or two. Also, Brentford's success of being in and around the playoffs and the large away followings in the Championship would be as bound to test the capacity of those terraces as you can get in modern football. There are no cages, entry is not permitted without a ticket and tickets can't be forged like they were, so I don't see an issue anyway, but surely if there's going to be a risk it's teams like Leeds, Birmingham, Villa etc taking huge away followings to a place like Griffin Park with a smaller capacity? It's clearly not a safety issue, it's discretionary but the authorities won't ever admit that.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Safe Standing on 13:49 - May 8 with 1190 viewsMagic31

Safe Standing on 13:45 - May 8 by DanFord

Which just goes to prove really that safety isn't the issue or they'd have been forced to convert it regardless of what was happening in a year or two. Also, Brentford's success of being in and around the playoffs and the large away followings in the Championship would be as bound to test the capacity of those terraces as you can get in modern football. There are no cages, entry is not permitted without a ticket and tickets can't be forged like they were, so I don't see an issue anyway, but surely if there's going to be a risk it's teams like Leeds, Birmingham, Villa etc taking huge away followings to a place like Griffin Park with a smaller capacity? It's clearly not a safety issue, it's discretionary but the authorities won't ever admit that.

You've put into words exactly what I was thinking but I couldn't word it, thanks.

Common sense dictates that the world has changed since Hillsborough but given that it stills receives mainstream attention (and rightly so in respect of justice being served), I don't hold much hope of the government giving it the go ahead.
Safe Standing on 13:52 - May 8 with 1178 viewsDanFord

Safe Standing on 13:49 - May 8 by Magic31

You've put into words exactly what I was thinking but I couldn't word it, thanks.

Common sense dictates that the world has changed since Hillsborough but given that it stills receives mainstream attention (and rightly so in respect of justice being served), I don't hold much hope of the government giving it the go ahead.

Hillsborough, as awful as it was, was a combination of a number of factors where none of them, let alone all, would happen today. It's quite right we do everything possible to prevent it, but by removing cages, the ways tickets are issued, the way entry is monitored etc, this has already been dealt with. The reality is that standing next to an allocated seat is what is already happening, just under another name,

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024