Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bacon and eggs 23:53 - Sep 16 with 494 viewsmillgreenblue

Or Hunter and Beattie as they were otherwise known. As so often during his playing career Kevin has had to leave the pitch far too early. For a 61 year old the news that a 64 year old has played his last game is for obvious reasons a reminder that life has a limited span. But when that 64 year old is someone who you were lucky enough to watch representing the club that you love today's news is particularly sad. I count myself as being incredibly fortunate to have witnessed first hand most of the greatest years of our relatively little club's history. The Beattie team was full of wonderful players and the team that followed wasn't too shabby either. Hunter and Beattie may have been the bacon and eggs but the likes of Cooper,Burley, Mills, Talbot, Wark, Geddes, Osborne, Woods and Mariner gave us the full English and then just 3 years later we had our continental breakfast. These were truly wonderful years in which every player played a huge part. I don't really like to say who was our greatest ever player because to me they were all special and to them all the team seemed to come first. But my goodness Kevin Beattie was a truly astounding player and I feel very fortunate that in 1967 my grandparents took me to Portman Road for my first match. Little did I know then that within a few years I was going to witness some of the finest club football imaginable and be given wonderful memories that would last forever. Kevin Beattie played a massive part in creating those memories and I hope that he knew in what esteem and affection he was held. On Tuesday evening let's take the roof off Portman Road in tribute to the life and career of one of the all time Ipswich Town greats who played such a huge part in giving us a club of which to be proud.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024