Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The forgotten 23:56 - Jul 7 with 559 viewsNewcyBlue

This is an email that has done the rounds around our fleet. It’s from an electrician in our company who is coming up for 9 months on board. His first language isn’t English.

“There s no question asked, there s no answer needed. But you should know already that "keeping the supply chain" and honking doesn´t fly us home to our families. Those you will read… is just my true story.

From the middle of march my kid is waiting for me.. So he can blow on the charcoal of the barbecue, put some meat and laugh from under his smoke covered face.

And you stopped sending people home. Understandable for 2 months.
But since then we waited. I m almost 4 months extra of my contract, we have a cadet on his first contract reaching his 10 months, another colleague waiting desperately to go home because his kid is sick. Us three, beside, we don t even need a reliever. A less complicated signing off. But i think that all of us are waiting for that convenient port. And some many other guys, here and on other ships.

But you waited with us and blamed this on the governments. Acceptable 2 months ago.

We have stayed one month at anchorage waiting at one day away from a convenient port to sign on, off crew. People home needed money as well.

Meanwhile, some vessel was breaking the record of reefers carried. From what i m toldon board. And record for most carried teu was breached twice in this period. Financial wise doesn’t seem to be a big, big deal. Maybe it is but I m not here to speak about the money.

Afterwards we went in china, where you know how it is.. I asked again, transfer, next port hong kong, blah, blah, yada, yada. Nope, impossible. Agent’s one sentence, six words reply came swifly. I don t know if he even enquired at the responsible authorities. Cause either you pay them sh!t money, either they cannot understand, either..

And now we have another port in our way, opened. Somehow. It s allowed, written, signed, since the 26th of june. Government page and all seems more than legit. But again the crewing didn t know, the agent didn’t t inform. I ve found the info online. On a vessel where the internet was not working for almost 2 weeks.. The task force is doing something about it.. But since the 26th, almost 2 weeks, no procedure.. Seems that paw patrol or power puff girls would be better than this task force. Just saying.

Along this time some people are paid double for the same job, some people less than double, some people the same. 2 months you ve got the crew exchange budget on the good side of the money didn t you? But now it seems you re losing some cause of the task force which seems to be a hero without the cape. Cannot fly :)

I have been thinking to go into hunger strike, to stop working. I have been advised to self declare myself mentally tired. maybe there will be a chance to sign off. And i am, i m tired of this. That s why i resigned. Doesn´t help as much as expected.

But you know what? I will do my job until you will find that convenient port.. By the way, you should be searching for it. It doesn t pop up like the Facebook likes.

You should start doing your job! Cause i m not stopping doing mine.

Btw, i believe corona exists, when i ll get home i ll follow the recommendations and i will do a test just to know i don t put nobody at risk.

And crew taking time reading this, take a break from that movie you re watching and ask for your rights, search for it and don t wait to be served whatever. Maybe we can help, maybe we can annoy until we are made right”

Some of the crew have been on board 12, even 13 months now. Some of the crew at home are penniless, they only get paid on board. Ships are keeping the world moving, taking food, clothing, medical supplies, PPE, medicines in refrigerated containers, and much more.

Unfortunately we are now prisoners. Some will be lucky and be able to go home from Europe. But they will mostly be Europeans. Some, who don’t call Europe, and then non-Europeans, well they are forgotten. Working long hours, in some of the harshest working conditions you will find.

Imagine being stuck on board during all this and still having to be at your best because you have the threat of piracy, and hurricanes, and you’re sometimes working 14 hours a day, with no days off.

That’s what is keeping the world going, the fuel in your cars, ambulances, lorries. The food on your plates.

I guess the only thing I can say is...

We few we happy few, we band of brothers....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024