Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Confidence (and the lack of) 10:35 - Apr 25 with 321 viewsallezlesbleus

I totally agree that a number of the squad need to be axed and we go again next season, with a smaller, more dedicated team.

However, I do feel that a number of players leaving will go on to new teams and perform so much better than they have done here. What has frustrated me over the last two seasons is that despite starting both campaigns with good results (not always good performances), we never seemed to have that "spark" to move up a level and kill teams off. I genuinely believe that if we had gone for it in a few of the early matches in both seasons, we would have scored several goals, confidence would have grown and the outcome would have been way better. However, we seemed to be happy to scrap out a narrow win, often obtained with a bit of luck.

The current squad size is ridiculous and any manager is never going to be able to keep all of those players happy. It is inevitable that complacency would set in and the bulk of players will be happy to just collect their unwarranted pay packet.

Back in the Robson era, we would only buy a couple of new players a year, who would add something to the team......not buy or loan a dozen of players who actually don't add any value. A couple of youngsters would be gradually introduced into the squad, fitting in with the system and not being expected to be world class and ever present from day one. The players all knew each others strengths and a youngster would come into a confident team and generally fit in effortlessly.

For next season I hope we:

1) Get rid of the hangers-on who only want the pay cheque

2) Reduce the squad to around 18 players, plus around 6 youngsters who have been on the fringes of the team

3) Sort out the diabolical training / medical / fitness side of the club. That has been a totally shamble for years.

4) Paul Cook decides over the summer who the nucleus / backbone of his team are and build from there. Limit the number of changes every week. Give the players the chance to build some understanding. Install a mentality of wanting / needing to win EVERY match. It is unacceptable that we constantly get knocked out of cups at the first possible opportunity, no matter what level of opposition we come up against. Whilst I agree playing some younger / fringe players in the EFLT, for the FA cup and League Cup, go for it.....have a bit of a run, try and beat a higher rank team, get a buzz around the place again. Our long suffering fans have had so little to cheer and deserve so much better.

COYB
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024