Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match reflections following some hours to reflect 13:35 - Aug 29 with 466 viewsunstableblue

I have to say I took that draw (‘defeat’) rather badly.

Persuaded a big group of us to go, so had that added pressure of wanting a performance. Really enjoyed fan zone, pre match pub beers, food. Note: the burger van at corner of north/pioneer is great.

Also for me it was a ‘must win’ moment Wycombe and Bolton with this confidence glass jaw in place look really tough to me. We can keep the kicking the can down the road, keep waiting, but we’ve got to seize the moment soon, fix the issues close the gap.

The good news is that the gap closed after Saturdays results. In the cold light of day I’m sort of agreeing with Piggot and Cook that signs are there that it will soon click. But there are also significant red flags, and big ones.

I tend to criticise Cook based on decisions and performances, for me his post match interviews are spot on. I agree the excellent full backs were tiring, and needed the switch, and Burns was crocked. But Aluko?! He is worse than Dobra and Barry in my view. And Carrol needed to replace Harper or Evans who were struggling.

But I’m slightly buoyed by some of the emerging partnerships, players and forward play.

To the model for finally winning a game:

HAVE THE BETTER PLAYERS
Coulson, Burgess, KVY, Burns, Edwards were just excellent, with Piggot and Fraser having good spells. Coulson was playing like a Championship player. Burns unplayable- BUT the guy is clearly injured. How long has been since you can call out that many performances??? At Town. Unfortunately- Evans, Harper and the Keeper are really struggling, seriously so. And they are key to our issues. Wimbledon were inferior across the pitch, but they were not terrible and at set pieces they would challenge any side.

WANT TO WIN IT MORE
we started poorly but when we got into our stride the Dons were struggling. At 2-0 and the North Stand we’re rocking, then a silly bit of play gifts then the set piece. They score their (horrid) fans fire up and we just fell apart… they simply WANTED the game more. Had the belief, we lost all confidence. Evans failed to lead… despite an improved display in part. We need Evans to find form. The players need to be more resilient. The keeper had to believe in himself.

HAVE THE BETTER SYSTEM
the full back system started to click, I saw it working, but we lost the midfield, work still be done on this!! Piggot not receiving the right ball.

But on reflection, before the 70mins collapse, there were further green shoots. But a game wr should have, we needed to win has past!!! THE CURSED ITFC fail to step up again!! How soon is now?

Wycombe, Bolton, Lincoln and Sheff Weds - we’ve made it very very hard for ourselves now.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024