Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Optimism & belief...... 11:54 - Mar 14 with 782 viewsDoug_Clure

It's been a long time since I last posted on here. I gave up my 20 year season ticket at the end of Jewell's reign as manager, for the simple reason I felt no connection to my club and that the passion no longer seemed to be there. Sadly I now have better things to do with my time & money.

As a fan and supporter of Town it saddens me to see the club in this state. I have grown up with them from watching the cup final on tv in '78, seeing the UEFA cup paraded round town to being a regular attending supporter since 1981.

From looking outside in, it has a similar feeling to the time when John Duncan was manager. The football was turgid; we had some really awful players; the pitch was more sand than grass; and the attendance was around the 10k level. At times the atmosphere was pretty horrendous too.

The one thing that I feel runs through Town supporters is the sense that we know we're a small club, the under dog and are not able to match the big teams. However our history, whether under Ramsey, Robson or even Burley would suggest we can achieve. What strikes me, and this particularly applies to the Burley era, is that we had those years of failing to make the play-offs or losing in the play-offs; however the team with limited resources and lesser players always gave it a go. Burley had the vision to play an attractive brand of attacking football with a small budget. It didn't always work but it proved to be pretty successful.

As a result I would go to Portman Road looking forward to matches, believing we stood a chance of winning, that my team would attack and score goals. That is what is missing now.

I read all those "careful what you wish for" quotes from those who would be all prepared to shout "I told you so" if it went wrong. But as a supporter of Town I want us to have a go. If McCarthy leaves I'm not overly bothered if a new manager doesn't have extra investment or a big budget. I want a manager with a vision of playing attacking football that is prepared to have a go, entertain and thereby develop a team and squad. We don't have that. I would almost say that I'd be happy to still be mid table but with a more adventurous brand of attacking football - knowing that we have given it a try. I want to have that feeling of optimism and belief again.

That will bring people back to FBR.
Optimism & belief...... on 12:57 - Mar 14 with 715 viewsbritbiker

Sadly I have become used to watching only one or two shots on target per game aa it
has happened for seasons now. When you watch televised games you see loads of crosses into the box and direct running at the goal by midfielders. You then realise just how bad it has become and that I have become brainwashed into thinking it's acceptable.

A change is necessary but I fear the boo boys will be on the back of whoever gets the job without giving them a decent amount of time to change our style.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024